• 54 results
#1 Posted by ADAMWD (613 posts) -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-13-league-of-legends-deemed-a-professional-sport-by-the-us-government

Not big into League and DOTA but this is a pretty big deal for gaming and I think it's pretty cool.

#2 Edited by HelicopterSpy (146 posts) -

All it really means is that the government will issue visas to international e-sportsmen and e-sportswomen. Even so, it's really cool, I'd imagine especially for EDward, Russian support player for Curse.

#3 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1471 posts) -

Finally im semi-good at a sport.......take that Dad!

#4 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -
#5 Edited by jakob187 (21728 posts) -

@tycobb: I physically mash the shit out of buttons and use mental skill to play League of Legends. In turn, your definition fits just fine.

Split hairs? Please stop trying to belittle something solely because you don't like the fact that it's defined by something you don't care to define it by.

#6 Posted by Demoskinos (15086 posts) -

@tycobb: I'd easily could argue that the physical dexterity required for top level play is easily something that not everyone could physically do and thus is both a skill and a sport. I'd say the same for StarCraft as well.

#7 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

Pretty cool, hopefully that filters down to the rest of the esports community. Make traveling and what not a bit easier.

#8 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Eh, I think that's fine! Sure the definition is a bit wonky as tycobb pointed out, but eh, it doesnt really matter. Definitions change over time so i can't really see why the word "sports" doesn't.

I mean Chess is considered a sport and you sit in a chair and move little wooden thingys around.

#9 Posted by KentonClay (257 posts) -

@tycobb: It's only "recognized as a sport" in that foreign players are issued visas under the same regulations as foreign athletes. Which makes perfect sense from a job perspective.

#10 Edited by redbliss (648 posts) -

@tycobb said:

That's fucking stupid.

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

The key thing missing from "eSports" is physical exertion and you know what I mean so please do not split hairs.

This is my opinion, not going to argue eSports bullshit so don't bother replying to me and trying to change my stance. I am fine with leagues and tournaments, in fact I love tournaments, but video games are not sports.

I dont understand why you post then. If you dont want people to post their own opinions that could possibly counter your's, then dont post and dont pay attention to the subject.

#11 Posted by cmblasko (1317 posts) -

If curling is considered a sport then so should DOTA.

#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

I've never viewed games as sports. I'd always be on the other side of the "is chess a sport" arguments that took place in, like, elementary school. But if the general public wants to define all games as sports then... what the fuck do I care. I guess I'm an athlete now.

#13 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

I've never viewed games as sports. I'd always be on the other side of the "is chess a sport" arguments that took place in, like, elementary school. But if the general public wants to define all games as sports then... what the fuck do I care. I guess I'm an athlete now.

Athletes are only the people who play sports professionally and get paid for it. Those who get paid for playing video games, who get salaries as part of a league, who get sponsors and who get awarded medals/trophies at high profile tournaments aren't that far off.

#14 Posted by Hunkulese (2832 posts) -

@tycobb: wow so much unwarranted anger. Were you molested by a videogame as a child?

#15 Edited by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

Athletes are only the people who play sports professionally and get paid for it.

Says who?

#16 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

Says who?

That made me check the actual definition and I was wrong, sorry. I thought that athlete was exclusively used for people who played sports to get paid, but I guess it can be used for anyone who's just generally skilled at them.

#17 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

Says who?

That made me check the actual definition and I was wrong, sorry. I thought that athlete was exclusively used for people who played sports to get paid, but I guess it can be used for anyone who's just generally skilled at them.

Thats why the term "professional athlete" exists.

#18 Edited by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

Says who?

Understandable misconception, really the only time I hear the word "athlete" anymore is in the phrase "professional athlete," which is what you were talking about earlier. 'course your point is still valid, I wouldn't deny that professional, say, Starcraft players work just as hard as some pro athletes.

#19 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

@tycobb: wow so much unwarranted anger. Were you molested by a videogame as a child?

I still have night terrors of Dr. Robotnik. ;_;

#20 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

yo, I really enjoy the irony of you linking to Eurogamer to tell us this.

#21 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I still don't get why such a shallow game is the first one to be considered a sport, and I say that as someone who plays this game quite a lot.

It should be DOTA 2, SC2 or Street Fighter.

#22 Posted by TobbRobb (4814 posts) -
#23 Posted by Mezmero (2015 posts) -

I almost did a spit take reading this thread title. I find it depressing that I still play this game but haven't gotten any closer to being 'good' at it. It always felt like a game you should play with gamer friends which I have few to none of who touch PC stuff.

#24 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

@animasta said:

yo, I really enjoy the irony of you linking to Eurogamer to tell us this.

I'm not sure there's irony there. I've lived abroad for awhile (New Zealand) and they loooooooooooved to report on all the dumb shit the US does.

#25 Edited by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

Fuck E-Sports.

#26 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

Fuck E-Sports.

It's not and e-sport anymore! League of Legends is a sport-ass-sport! It's 'official,' didn't you hear!?

#27 Posted by KentonClay (257 posts) -

@sooty said:

I still don't get why such a shallow game is the first one to be considered a sport, and I say that as someone who plays this game quite a lot.

Because the players in Riot's professional league earn an actual paycheck so they qualify for working visas. (I think)

#28 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -

Hang on! Chess is a sport?

#29 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4293 posts) -

I guess now we'll see LoL at the Olympics soon..

#30 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

Hang on! Chess is a sport?

I wish there was another word for... games that are played professionally but don't depend on physical capability. Get on this, Webster!

#31 Posted by BeachThunder (12272 posts) -

I feel fitter already, knowing that I play sport on a daily basis...

#32 Posted by Kinapuff (244 posts) -

I'd never find myself referring to it as such, but I can see why it'd be more convenient in a lot of cases having it classified as one.

#33 Posted by JouselDelka (966 posts) -

I prefer the standard definition of 'sport' myself.. A physical activity that requires motion and use of the muscles, and causes sweating and stinkiness.

But I'm happy for these LoL guys getting visas and shit. All hail gaming.

#34 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Is CS an official sport as well? Please don't tell me LoL got made an official sport before CS!

#35 Posted by Ares42 (2769 posts) -

I dunno... the way it seems these days sports is when you take a game and play in an organized fashion (as in, cups, leagues, championships, etc). I could go throw some hoops, but I wouldn't say I was playing sports. Football, hockey, chess, bowling, they are all just games. But we decide to call them sports when people stop just dicking around and become all serious about it.

#36 Posted by CaLe (4039 posts) -

I was a cyber athlete way before any of this stuff got big. OG CYBER ATHLETE RIGHT HERE. PCW / 5v5 / nuke / our srv / PRO only / HLTV ON. pm me.

#37 Posted by PhantomGardener (468 posts) -

Yay?

#38 Posted by buft (3321 posts) -

recognition is a good first step in getting esports to a wider audience. well done to the guys over at Riot.

#39 Edited by BeachThunder (12272 posts) -

@ares42 said:

@beachthunder said:

I dunno... the way it seems these days sports is when you take a game and play in an organized fashion (as in, cups, leagues, championships, etc). I could go throw some hoops, but I wouldn't say I was playing sports. Football, hockey, chess, bowling, they are all just games. But we decide to call them sports when people stop just dicking around and become all serious about it.

ok, well, I'm digitally exercising?

#40 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

i'm amature athlete now sweet.

#41 Posted by Ares42 (2769 posts) -
#42 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4846 posts) -

Awesome news for all of eSports.

If you're arguing that it's not physical enough to be a sport; go take a look at darts. If fat old men throwing sticks at a wall can be considered a sport, what can't?

#43 Edited by _Chad (962 posts) -

So when does the ESPN coverage start?

#44 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

I will never see gaming as a sport.

#45 Edited by ThePhantomStranger (381 posts) -

@_chad said:

The same day they bring back magic the gathering coverage.

#46 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@sooty said:

I'd say it's because Riot have made the step of setting up players with actual paychecks and making playing in their league of legends championship series 'LCS' an actual occupation rather than a lose knit table of teams competing across events for a cash prize which is what you get in the other games you mentioned.

#47 Edited by GorillaMoPena (2273 posts) -

@helicopterspy said:

All it really means is that the government will issue visas to international e-sportsmen and e-sportswomen. Even so, it's really cool, I'd imagine especially for EDward, Russian support player for Curse.

It is amazing someone brought this up right away and there are people still explaining sport.

It basically just changes the Visa they need so they can stay for the whole league season or whatever they do.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=19860b89284a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextoid=19860b89284a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

It seems with the rise of popularity the government wants to make it easier for everyone involved to get/give visas. It sounds like before everyone had to get business visas, which I imagine was messy at times.

"You must be coming to the United States to participate in individual event, competition or performance in which you are internationally recognized with a high level of achievement; evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered so that the achievement is renowned, leading or well known in more than one country."

I would say League fits that.

#48 Posted by TyCobb (1976 posts) -

@_chad said:

It'll come on right after darts and before billiards at 10AM on Sundays on ESPN 8. Part of the, "Sports, but not Sports Extravaganza!"

#49 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Pretty ridiculous to classify any video game as a sport, IMO.