• 54 results
#51 Edited by Brodehouse (9975 posts) -

A sport is any competitive activity done for the enjoyment of competition. Those demanding it require grand physical activity are looking more for the term 'athletics'. You can play any game, phyiscal or no, is sport. You can have a debate in sport. You can play chess as sport. Why do you feel the dexterity and concentration to fire a bow better than your competitors is sporting, but the dexterity and concentration to win EVO is not? By attempting to say activities played in sport are not sports because they don't involve catching a ball, or because they're not entertaining spectator sports, it's only because that's the type of sport you grew up with.

#52 Edited by CheapPoison (733 posts) -

Regardless of game.. That is kinda dumb...

#54 Edited by f00 (49 posts) -

The fact that people are so angry about the definition as athletes, is really... dumb.

But It's a sport, and just not an athletic, right?

#55 Posted by Azurath (307 posts) -

Sorry to bump an old thread but....

@f00 said:

The fact that people are so angry about the definition as athletes, is really... dumb.

But It's a sport, and just not an athletic, right?

Well, this is where the problem lies, e-sport players now have access to athlete visas. That's absolute bullshit. Like I said in the other thread,

I mean, isn't the whole point of being an athlete to be athletic? Aren't the benefits of being recognized as athletes tailored to people who's job involve athleticism? Video games don't take athleticism. You could argue you have to move your fingers fast, but drawing is not a sport, and neither is playing a guitar although both can technically be taxing on the body do to moving your fingers and hands a lot.

I really don't think it's fair to put them in the same category as athletes....