#1 Edited by RayCarter (158 posts) -

@

I probably need to introduce myself first XO.

I'm RayCarter. I've written over 50 reviews for GiantBomb.com, and I am a League of Legends nut. I created this post so that you guys (the community) can ask me about any questions concerning the game League of Legends.

As for my LOL credentials, my main account is MattySharrow (add me if you want, but if you do, introduce yourself please). I am currently a Silver V player [update: yes, I did win my promo series] in ranked play, and the role I specialize in is Support. I take time to watch some videos and streams to soak up knowledge about the game, so that I could become a better player myself. In short I have a passion for the game.

This post is more geared towards players who are either very new to the game, are Level 30 but unranked and everything in between. But I welcome anyone who's ranked silver or above to jump into this post and share their opinions on questions raised here. Be warned though, that I am not perfect; I am not a highly ranked player and I am prejudiced to certain champions over others. I am also largely ignorant of the European LOL scene; I only watched the North American LOL Championship Series (LCS), and even then I don't know a lot of pro (or extremely good) players outside of some obvious examples, such as the players who played in the LCS.

Still, I hope to answer the question as wholly as possible and share my knowledge and perspective about this very interesting game. Bring on the Qs, please!

RayCarter

PS: Be sure to use the callout function (At sign, then my name RayCarter without spaces) or reply to this specific post so I can be notified of your post and thus I can respond to your question as hastily as possible. Thank you.

#2 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Why does someone always dodge when I try to play jungle Malzahar.

#3 Edited by ripelivejam (4862 posts) -

@raycarter why do this game and other games like it frighten me so? :( i really suck @ competitive games and i don't like being yelled at, but i'm making a vailant effort to try this (have some co-workers who play) and just MAYBE DOTA 2 with some duders from here.

#4 Posted by RayCarter (158 posts) -

@lordxavierbritish: Hi Lord,

The reason why people seem to be hesitant to play with a jungle Malzahar largely has to do with the generally agreed-on perception of this champion. Most if not all the people who play with you assume that Malzahar is a mid-lane AP caster; they never if ever see him as anything else, such as a jungler. Because your way of playing Malzahar does not conform with their view of using this champion they assume that you are trolling them. Furthermore the common view is "more trolls = less chance of winning". Since players WANT to win (at least most do), they opt to dodge the game than stay; jumping out of what they view as a sinking ship before it sank

That being said, if you want to play as a jungle Malzahar, you can either convince the team that you are NOT trolling, and that what you are doing can help them and take advantage of acquiring EXP and gold in the jungle. Or if you have any friends around, invite them (hopefully enough to fill all slots) so that you can play that champion in that way without anyone questioning you.

#5 Posted by RayCarter (158 posts) -

@ripelivejam: Hi ripe,

MOBA communities have a really bad rap for possessing some rotten player communities, so it is not just you who seems to have this problem or fear in playing games like League of Legends. I think I can introduce to you some of my cousin's friends, who moan about the LOL community a lot too.

Beyond the fact that there are just simply unpleasant people in the world, LOL, DOTA 2 and others are games that require a high amount of coordination, teamwork and communication. Furthermore in every game what you or anyone else on the team do will affect the entire team; you go only as far as the weakest link on the team. Therefore when someone screws up one way or another, these errors only look the more ugly, because everyone else on the team has to suffer for it (ie. the player(s) who took advantage of the mistake would have more gold, more items and more power, and thus would begin to steamroll the rest of the team).

An IGN article I think sums it up the best; there is the case of internet anonymity, and a game in LOL is no different. Though your fate is tied to fates of your teammates, the game will be over either from a win or a loss in about 20-45 minutes. Unless you are playing with some friends , most teammates are people you will probably not see ever again. Thus what do you have to lose if you go on a tirade on a teammate? Hence the raging and yelling begins.

It's easier said than done, but the best way to play the game is to, as a friend put it, have thick skin. Don't take the yelling or the harsh criticisms personally. If it keeps going on, there is the option to mute the player who's running his or her mouth at you. Then after the game you can report those players for negative behavior; go to the far right and press the red exclamation mark buttons on players who you felt were unsportsmanlike.

You noted early on that you wanted to have a group of friends to play, and that is a good idea, but I would also suggest to play with friends whose accounts are of similar levels. You said that you aren't very good with games like LOL, and playing against better competition because one of your friends happens to be a Level 30 player isn't going to do you any favors. Speaking of friends, it really helps if one of your friends is a knowledgeable player who wouldn't mind answering your questions about the game; that would make you a better player and it'd hopefully result in better games (and wins) for you.

#6 Edited by John1912 (1970 posts) -

@lordxavierbritish said:

I may have dodged one of your games!

#7 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@john1912 said:

@lordxavierbritish said:

You don't understand man, dat ult, dem creeps.

Jungle Malz carries hard, only bested by jungle Gragas.

#8 Edited by Xeiphyer (5611 posts) -

@john1912 said:

@lordxavierbritish said:

You don't understand man, dat ult, dem creeps.

Jungle Malz carries hard, only bested by jungle Gragas.

Cuz you should be playing AD Malz in lane, that AD and Armor Pen on those voidlings man, its nuts.

#9 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@xeiphyer: People won't let you do that either, even in fucking normal draft. Everyone takes things to seriously.

This is why I don't play league much anymore.

#10 Edited by Slag (4864 posts) -

@raycarter: Why is Lol your MOBA of choice?

The reason I ask, is I've been playing MOBAs a long time, I love them despite quite terrible at them, but I've never found any to have the balanced map and quality of play anywhere near Dota (and now DOTA 2 which is far better than DotA ever was).

Just curious on your perspective. I was trying to explain to some of my friends who don't seem to get League why I thought it continues to have a such a following.

#11 Edited by RayCarter (158 posts) -

@slag: Hi, nice to hear from you again.

LOL as my MOBA of choice had nothing to do with whether or not it was better than DOTA or any of the MOBA games; I chose LOL only because it was the first MOBA I've been around and I've stuck to it.

I first learnt about League when browsing some Gametrailers reviews, and happened to stumble upon their review on LOL. I didn't know anything about MOBAs at the time, but figuring that it wouldn't cost anything to play it I decided to give it a shot, and downloaded the client (back in Season 1 I think). Again, I didn't know anything about the MOBA genre, so once I played LOL for some time I didn't think "I want to play a MOBA game just like LOL"; I stuck to League.

I have very little grasp about MOBA history (and I am going complete-wacky-theory mode, so take the following with a grain of salt), but I think League gains a lot of following from both Riot's efforts to keep marketing its product, and trying to make the game better via patches and new champs (for better or for worse) but also from several factors. Think back to DOTA in the mid-2000s; news of the mod probably only reached a small group of people, specifically people who bought and played Warcraft 3. Back then, internet, computers and so on weren't major parts of most people's lives, and news traveled so much more slowly back then. Speaking from perspective, I did play Warcraft 3, but I never heard of DOTA save from some passing comments from a friend who also played the same game.

But compare the scene in DOTA to the scene once LOL arrived: Twitter, YouTube, and coinciding with the trend of more video games but also more people playing video games and who own computers and have access to the internet. News travels way faster nowadays (even more so today with the rise of Twitter and the creation of more video game journalism sites aside from IGN and Gamespot). I think evolving tech and the increased use of the net by people, along with other trends, make LOL such a followed game.

Feel free to debate my points; I know I missed something here XO.

RC.

#12 Edited by TAFAE (153 posts) -

@raycarter said:

Think back to DOTA in the mid-2000s; news of the mod probably only reached a small group of people, specifically people who bought and played Warcraft 3. Back then, internet, computers and so on weren't major parts of most people's lives, and news traveled so much more slowly back then. Speaking from perspective, I did play Warcraft 3, but I never heard of DOTA save from some passing comments from a friend who also played the same game.

Actually, tons upon tons of people bought (or, uh, otherwise acquired) WC3 specifically to play DotA - just not in the countries you hear most of your gaming news from. It became particularly popular in Asia and Oceania around the time you mention partly because WC3 was old enough that the shitty computers in Internet cafes were able to reliably run the game but also because people had been playing for years. Same deal with Eastern Europe, where you see more people with older hardware in their home PCs. LoL is just the first time a game like this has caught on in a big way in the US, and to a lesser extent with respect to the gap between it and DotA, Western Europe.

For some contrast, DotA (the original mod and not DOTA 2), was treated a lot like SC is in South Korea. I don't believe there's a dedicated DotA television channel, but big tournaments were broadcast and the top few teams have their own training houses and are generally treated like kings. Not sure what happened in China for the International 2, but it was the first big showing for the Chinese in DOTA 2 and I'd suspect that's where the scene is headed now considering that the game is now pretty well optimized for low end machines. It seems like DOTA 2 has some momentum going for when the beta officially goes live in China later this year too; the top Chinese teams have already switched over and will likely have some pull with their fanbases and even Tencent is trying to steal some hype during the launch by releasing another DotA clone more faithful to the source material despite already owning League.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that around the time that Riot released their numbers about LoL's billion game milestone, one of the more popular DotA matchmaking platforms in China announced that they recorded a little less than 5 billion hours of DotA played in the past year using their service alone. Who knows how accurate either of those numbers are or what specifically counts as a game or an hour played in this context, but the point is that DotA may very well be a bigger game than anyone truly realizes because it's hard to count who's playing in China, where the game's biggest playerbase resides.

#13 Posted by RayCarter (158 posts) -

@tafae: Well good for you to correct me, because I didn't have a clue lol XO.

#14 Edited by Slag (4864 posts) -

@raycarter: Thanks for the thoughts Ray!

I think you brought up something I should have considered but hand't previously, that LoL might have been a lot of people's introduction to DotA as well as the timing (twitter was just getting reallybig around then). I do think you might underestimating our communication back then , after all even 5-6 years things like Napster got HUGE quick. I'll bring your perspective to my friends.

For me I've been playing the Wc3: Frozen Throne mod since 2004-5 ish. So DOTA 2 which has the same carefully curated map and heroes seems far superior in a competitive balance sense than LoL to me. Although I like LoL's artsyle and color palette a bit more, DOTA2 is little muted for my tastes. (and from a business perspective I think Riot does have the better more profitable model most likely). I do think the Riot guys, many of whom were guys who ran Dota-Allstars before Icefrog, did benefit from having a clean slate on some of things that were artifacts of modding another game.

but i dunno now that DOTA 2 beta keys are so easy to get, it just feels to me like the action is going to move there. maybe I'm wrong.

TAFAE is right that DotA mod is enormously popular even now especially in China, I suspect it may singlehandedly be keeping battle.net open for Warcraft III.

As a long time fan and player of team sports, I have to say I was super excited to discover DotA when it hit. It really is a great game. nothing like it in video games.

#15 Posted by RayCarter (158 posts) -

@slag: Again, I haven't claimed to be a know-it-all about DOTA and/or MOBA history, and my ignorance of its popularity in places like China again stems from my perspective and me just not knowing any better. I elect to defer to the perspectives of you and TAFAE XD.

#16 Posted by Slag (4864 posts) -

@raycarter: oh dude, I didn't mean it like that at all. please don't take it that way.

thanks again for the your perspective, I think it makes a lot of sense in explaining something I hadn't quite figured out.

I just hope the MOBA community is big enough to support two mega-fanbases unlike MMORPGs.