Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rowr
Bonus Edition
Bonus Edition

Due to vaxadrins inability to read japanese, we were all short changed in this weeks lets play! With only a demo version of Bunny must die/chelsea and the seven devils, we are all found Wanting more. (Though it was a great demo.)
So i present to you this weeks bonus, Lets Play!

Abes Oddysee was recently released on Steam for the trifling amount of $8.99. Though if you can afford the couple extra bucks i suggest getting your hands on the oddworld pack which includes the sequel Abes Exoddus as well for $13.49. I imagine it would be a good pick for a future lets play.

I like many others im sure, i am very vague on the game as I have not played it in years, I imagine much of the younger crowd on the site has missed it altogether, which makes it an excellent Lets Play! as it is widely recognized as a classic.

If you have purchased the game recently or already own it,  feel free to contribute the the thread, the aim is discussion on any aspects of the game, as well as assisting each other to get through it. Feel free to brag on challenges met or times set, although we will all naturally call bs if a screenshot/video cant be provided.

So without further ado. LETS PLAY!.

Abes Oddysee Steam Link

Giantbomb Wiki Link

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Vaxadrin

I'd also like to say, you should get the pack of Abe's Oddysee & Abe's Exoddus for the low, low price of $14.

Have some screenshots.   Look at how beautiful this game is:

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yeah, I love that game. If only I could get steam working, Ever since I got steam, it won't download anything. I click the purchase link and nothing happens.

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON

i buy this off steam. not like save pionts but very good i think

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vaxadrin

There's check points usually every 3 or 4 screens.  They're placed in very logical locations.

This game operates entirely on a grid, so all the platforming is very precise & mechanical.

Also, since it's an old PC game, the control re-assigning in the menu is a little wonky.  Just so you know Gamespeak 1 & Gamespeak 2 are SUPPOSED to be duplicates of buttons you already assigned.  That did my head in before I figured that out.

I put this control scheme on the 360 controller and think it works like a charm:
A - Run
X - Jump
B - Crouch
Y - Use
LBumper - Throw
RBumper - Sneak

This means that you hold the Sneak button and press the face buttons for the first group of gamespeak, hold Sneak & Run to chant, and hold Run & press the other face buttons or throw to do the second group of gamespeak.

This may sound complex but it'll make sense in context of the game.  It eases you into this stuff very gradually.

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON

Use controll pad on pc version can you?

Rain_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Rain_Dog

This trash is classic, son.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vaxadrin
MIALER_DAEMON said:
"Use controll pad on pc version can you?"
Yes.  Yes you can.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Otacon

Cool I shall re buy these for my PC.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Otacon

Theres a load of political imagery in Oddworld, a lot of stuff that you can read in to.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vaxadrin

Yeah, there's a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle commentary in Oddworld games about about meat processing, corporations, slavery, religion, pollution, industrialism, etc etc.

DarthMaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By DarthMaul

I have to pay with monies? V.V

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON
Vaxadrin said:
"Yeah, there's a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle commentary in Oddworld games about about meat processing, corporations, slavery, religion, pollution, industrialism, etc etc."
i think they jews.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vaxadrin

A heavily religious people kidnapped and forced into slave labor in factories...

MIALER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MIALER_DAEMON

also used as resource food. Jews hair used along with other stuff very sick i think.

whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By whyzenheimer

Just started a playthrough of the first game for PS1 a few days ago.  Haven't really gotten very far, because I was trying to save all my buddies until I realized you have to find a bunch of secret areas to do that.  Now I'm just going for more than half.  I don't know that I ever finished this when I first played it as a teenager, but if I remember correctly it gets pretty tough.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vaxadrin

Yeah there's some shit like on the very first area you have to climb down a hidden area behind a barrel to find guys.  I managed to save 14 before I ran into the "If you leave here all 28 workers on this level die" screen.

Right now I'm up to the part where you choose which temple to go to first.  I think I'm gonna hit up the Scrab one.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Absurd

Just wondering if we'll be playing Abe's Exodus because I only have Abe's Oddysee on disc from awhile ago.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vaxadrin

Sure, why not.  They both come in a pack anyways.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rowr
Absurd said:
"Just wondering if we'll be playing Abe's Exodus because I only have Abe's Oddysee on disc from awhile ago."
I figured it would be a good pic for a future lets play perhaps. Maybe we can just extend this thread once we finish oddysee to discussion on exoddus since im not sure the games are all that different?
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Absurd

Aww, Thats the only one I'm missing :|

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vaxadrin

Well, let's focus on the task at hand for now.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Absurd
Vaxadrin said:
"Well, let's focus on the task at hand for now."
Yeah Ill install it a bit later once I bother trying to find the CD
whyzenheimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By whyzenheimer
Vaxadrin said:
"Yeah there's some shit like on the very first area you have to climb down a hidden area behind a barrel to find guys.  I managed to save 14 before I ran into the "If you leave here all 28 workers on this level die" screen.

Right now I'm up to the part where you choose which temple to go to first.  I think I'm gonna hit up the Scrab one."
I'll pop it on and play a bit later, I'm probably going to go back to the first screen and hit up that area, and then screw the rest of them, I'm moving onward. 

Back with more experiences later.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vaxadrin

Just did a big chunk of this.  I went to Scrabland and made it through the huge segment leading to the temple.  Now I'm in the temple solving the tiny puzzles.

The hardest thing I've done by far was one giant segment:
-Jump in a well that launches you upward.
-Do a whistle simon says puzzle while avoiding a circling mine.
-Then do another whistling puzzle that allows you to blow up a bunch of mines with spirit rings.
-Then come to a dog behind a bird portal.
-Activate the bird portal, alerting the dog.
-Run away and jump in a well that launches you just on the other side of the dog.l
-Run & jump in the bird portal.

The whole thing was probably about 8 screens, took me about 10 tries, and was the last segment before the scrab temple.  Absolutely insane.  This game is awesome.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rowr
Vaxadrin said:
"There's check points usually every 3 or 4 screens.  They're placed in very logical locations.

This game operates entirely on a grid, so all the platforming is very precise & mechanical.

Also, since it's an old PC game, the control re-assigning in the menu is a little wonky.  Just so you know Gamespeak 1 & Gamespeak 2 are SUPPOSED to be duplicates of buttons you already assigned.  That did my head in before I figured that out.

I put this control scheme on the 360 controller and think it works like a charm:
A - Run
X - Jump
B - Crouch
Y - Use
LBumper - Throw
RBumper - Sneak

This means that you hold the Sneak button and press the face buttons for the first group of gamespeak, hold Sneak & Run to chant, and hold Run & press the other face buttons or throw to do the second group of gamespeak.

This may sound complex but it'll make sense in context of the game.  It eases you into this stuff very gradually."
Those controls work great!

Its good to be able to play this with the 360 controller, god how i hate the keyboard.

all i need to work out now is how to get a fullscreen mode.

-edit: fixed i changed my tv's aspect ratio to wide.
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By coakroach

A true gem of a game
Its a shame that the series has gone quiet

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vaxadrin

Bump for more possible viewers. :)

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vaxadrin

So are you guys still playing this?  We're doing a huge podcast segment on Oddworld tomorrow and I was hoping to see more impressions before then.  I understand if people don't want to pay for it, but trust me, the games are totally awesome.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Absurd

:| I uninstalled this, I thought it was dead :P

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rowr
Vaxadrin said:
"So are you guys still playing this?  We're doing a huge podcast segment on Oddworld tomorrow and I was hoping to see more impressions before then.  I understand if people don't want to pay for it, but trust me, the games are totally awesome."
Sorry mate, due to last minute dinner plans, there is no way im going to have played enough to warrant any opinion by tommorrow :(

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vaxadrin

That's cool.  We should still play it anyway.  It's a rad game.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rowr

Well yeh. Thats kind of the point..

Though, if you are able to postpone your podcast discussion, im sure we will have some more opinions/discussion in here before the week is out.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vaxadrin

Well people should play the game because it's awesome, not because of the podcast.  We've got plenty to talk about amongst the two of us on the show, since we'll be covering the whole franchise.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rowr
Vaxadrin said:
"Well people should play the game because it's awesome,"
Rowr said:
"Well yeh. Thats kind of the point.."
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Vaxadrin

I.....agree?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rowr

Finally have some time to get into this and my god dam xbox accessories receiver has inexplicably stopped working.

ANGER.
----------------

Well after a few hours (playing with the keyboard, grrr.) I have some impressions.

The graphics hold up reasonably well (if not a little pixelated), due to the art style which is excellent.
The game does an excellent job of showing you how to play the game, without ever holding your hand for the puzzles.

The game allowing you to get to the second level so fast, while skipping much of the first level is a strange design choice.
I found it pretty jarring when i came up the elevator to see the banner informing me that if i proceeded i would sacrifice 28 workers on the level. (I think i had saved 7 at that point.)

The problem with this design i think is that you have to make your choice then and there on how you are going to play the rest of the game. Am i going to save every single mudoken? before moving on, or am i just going to proceed and miss half of the first levels content?

So am i going to save every single mudoken? Probably not, I just dont have the patience or time. Do i have to save every mudoken before i proceed? My brain says yes. The problem i have (and this covers all games) is if i dont feel im playing it right, I often lose interest in playing it at all.

From here i can hypothetically go back and save most of the mudokens except those 2 or 3 which are giving me real trouble. At this point i will lose interest because i am not progressing, yet i cannot move on until ive saved them all, because if i do the level isn't complete, what was the point in saving all the other mudokens if i couldnt get them all? I should have just moved on with the level and left them all to die.

OCD, its a real problem. I guess im going to try and save a few before the point i go, fuck it and move on. Though it doesnt sit right with me.

The obvious design that would have been better would be to allow the player to revisit levels and come back for mudokens they missed. I guess it possibly doesnt work in with the story or level progression elements? The technology of the game?

Another thing that bothered me were a few occasions of bullshit trial and error. Example, you walk into a room which contains a mudoken and a lever. Of course you pull the lever. Mudoken is crushed by falling meat.

Fucking great. Now I have to kill myself go back two screens and work my way back, was that really necessary? At least put the checkpoint on the same level so i dont constantly feel i am losing progress.

Aside from these few design gripes the game is pretty excellent. It combines timing based action and logical puzzling very well. It reminds me of my recent time with braid, in the way you must collect something by using a logical serious of actions. 28 mudokens though? Fuck it im going to the next level.

Thoughts Anyone?