Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rowr
Masocore Extravaganza

In celebration of out new community sticky thread, I present to you this weeks let's play a day early.

Seven Minutes, although an inspired little game, has been found to be a little on the short side (who could have possibly foreseen?)

So sticking with the theme, i present the Masocore Extravaganza. See below.

Seven Minutes

You sought knowledge where there was none and now God will destroy the universe. What will you do with your final seven minutes?

Giantbomb wiki link

Download Link

The game experiments with the newly emerging indie movement know as Masocore with its alternative platform gameplay and death-obsessed narrative.

Mighty Jill Off

Jill wants to please the Queen but Jill always fails. Jill has to punish herself to reach the top of the dungeon and to reach the Queen.

Giantbomb wiki link

Download Link

The game combines immensely challenging platform gameplay with an fitting tale of masochism and as a result represents the poster-child for Masocore games

Psychosomnium

An illogical dream filled with sadness and charm.

Giantbomb wiki link

Download Link

The game combines difficult platforming, illogical puzzles and a surreal narrative to create a landmark game for indie games, art games and Masocore games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

I Wanna be the guy is an Indie game with extremely hard platforming challenges and many references to popular games, such as Metroid, Mega Man and Castlevania. It is a notable example of the Masocore indie game genre.

Giantbomb wiki link

Download Link

The whole game is extremely difficult, and  parodies popular games from the 8-bit era. In fact most of the games levels, characters, music, sound effects, and more are taken straight out of other games.

Let's Play!

Well that ought to keep you guys busy for a week. Play what you like and report back for discussion. If your unsure i reccomend starting with Seven Minutes as it appears to be the easiest, and possibly shortest.

Evidence of speed runs, scores, general displays of skill - are as always, heavily encouraged, as is deep discussion of story and gameplay mechanics.

This edition of lets play brought to you by
LuckyWanderDude, Steve_C and Vaxadrin

If you have a suggestion for a future let's play I want to hear about it.
calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By calf_exercises

yay, giant bomb lets play games are always rad. I hope this is as good as or better than jetpack cat

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By danielkempster

Just downloaded, I'm going to check it out now.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Steve_C

I completed it the traditional way first, and then just now i've got the 'true' ending, which was kinda wierd and pointless.

Interesting enough game though. I like the atmosphere it creates.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By danielkempster

Multiple endings?

I've just finished it, and didn't find it as taxing as I thought it would be after reading the wiki page. I gathered it was going to be short (the title is Seven Minutes, after all), but there honestly couldn't have been more than fifteen-twenty screens in the game, none of which were that difficult to suss.

I agree with Steve_C on the game's atmosphere, and there's obviously quite a lot going on in terms of messages the developer is trying to convey. The futility of humanity is the most prominent one for me. In the game, you're representing a human, you travel across those screens, presumably with the ultimate goal of stopping the end of the world (although it's never actually explicitly stated). Yet, when you finally reach the "end", you still fail. I think that's what the developer is getting at: even though we humans are the most intelligent species on this planet and are constantly pushing to further ourselves, our time spent on this planet as a species will probably be much shorter than, say, the dinosaurs.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayge_

Ah, Masocore.

I shall try this when i arrive home.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rowr
Steve_C said:
"I completed it the traditional way first, and then just now i've got the 'true' ending, which was kinda wierd and pointless.

Interesting enough game though. I like the atmosphere it creates."
o snap that was quick.
I expected it would grow exponentially harder.

Might have to throw in a bonus this week.

I love the taunting dialogue.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By danielkempster

Ok, I just got the "other" ending and can't get my head round it at all.

Perhaps the overall message is to accept your fate rather than trying to run from it. I hate reading into things too much (says the English student) but Seven Minutes really promotes that kind of thinking.

Rowr
said:

"Might have to throw in a bonus this week."
Sounds like a great idea. Like I said earlier, it was disappointingly short.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rowr
dankempster said:
"Ok, I just got the "other" ending and can't get my head round it at all.

Perhaps the overall message is to accept your fate rather than trying to run from it. I hate reading into things too much (says the English student) but Seven Minutes really promotes that kind of thinking.

Rowr
said:
Sounds like a great idea. Like I said earlier, it was disappointingly short."
Ok everybody ration it to 1 minute a day, to make out the week.

I'll sort something out. Again if anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Yeh the game seems definately all about impending mortality.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Vaxadrin

Sounds like it's only 7 minutes long. :P

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rowr

yeh.

who knew.

seriously though i expected it to get harder after the quick playtest i gave it.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vaxadrin

If you want to spice it up, go download Hypercam and Youtube a speedrun video.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Steve_C

I was orignally thinking the game's message would be about trying hard and not giving up, so far as to avoid fate. I imagined that you'd get right to the end just under 7 minutes, only if you had done a perfect run.

After completing it the conventional way though, it was like the 'you can't avoid death!'. The 'true' ending i found confusing; maybe the whole thing's just about accepting responsibility for your actions, and the consequences that come along with it.

As for other games, we could stick to this 'masocore' theme. Maybe Psychosomnium or Mighty Jiff Off, or even both. They sound quite interesting.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rowr
Steve_C said:
"I was orignally thinking the game's message would be about trying hard and not giving up, so far as to avoid fate. I imagined that you'd get right to the end just under 7 minutes, only if you had done a perfect run."

Yeh i kinda assumed that.

will check out those suggestions, thanks.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rowr
dankempster said:
Rowr said:
Sounds like a great idea. Like I said earlier, it was disappointingly short."

Steve_C said:
"As for other games, we could stick to this 'masocore' theme. Maybe Psychosomnium or Mighty Jiff Off, or even both. They sound quite interesting."

Vaxadrin said:
"Sounds like it's only 7 minutes long. :P"

OP update.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vaxadrin

Oh shit, OP now blows my mind.  I'm all over this shit.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Steve_C

Hehe, this should be fun.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vaxadrin

Everyone record your IWBTG playthroughs! :D

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I finished both endings of 7 minutes. The "real" ending was kinda pointless though.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By danielkempster

I've just played Mighty Jill Off and absolutely loved the jump/float mechanics. I have a real appreciation for games like this, that seem to be so simple and offer more depth than you perceive them to have.

If anybody's interested, my first playthrough I clocked up 18mins 26secs. I'll probably play through it again before the week's out, to see if I can improve on it (which I probably can, considering I had a lot of other stuff going on at the same time).

first attempt
first attempt
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Steve_C

I haven't had the chance to play any of them yet, but i've just got back on the PC and i'm downloading mighty jill off. Looking at the readme, the controls sound interesting for the jumping stuff.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Endogene

ill try them out in a minute
i hate you for providing a link to the "i want to be the guy game".... i know it will hurt but its calling for me....

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Just played Jill Off, and I didn't rate it. It was more annoying than fun.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shasam

I just played Seven Minutes, and didn't finish it. I like the idea of the game, and the Masocore aspect actually adds a lot to it, which I was surprised at. However, the visuals bug the hell out of me. I get that they're intentional, necessary, and the game wouldn't be the same without it, but I just plain don't like them. They're off putting, and it's probably not very good for the eyes either. =P

Having said that though, decent. And, for the sake of own ego, I might have to go back at some point and finish it...I hear it's only 7 minutes long?

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Steve_C

Just finished Mighty Jill Off. My first attempt came in at 13 mins 44 seconds, i pressed print screen but it didn't work for some reason.

I found the controls to be quite good. My only real problem was that it felt unresponsive at times, especially when you have to jump from the very edge of a platform, i ended just running straight off and having to waste time.

I might try the others tomorrow.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Just finished Psychosomnium. It was very enjoyable while it lasted, but like 7 minutes it was very short.

Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shasam
First Attempt, I suck.
I finished Mighty Jill Off. It was a refreshing change from Seven Minutes. I was half expecting everything I stepped on to suddenly disappear, or for spikes to appear from nowhere. That was a refreshing change, having the difficulty come mostly from the environment, without any traps lying about.

The jump was a little weird, but once you get used to it it's quite fun, definitely an interesting jump concept. The weird way the sprites collide in that was odd as well. The way you can stand pretty much all the way off of a platform without falling.

Overall, I would say I preferred it over Seven Minutes.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Dude, I Wanna Be the Guy nearly killed me a while ago. I don't know if I have the willpower to try this again...

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vaxadrin
Dr_Feelgood38 said:
"Dude, I Wanna Be the Guy nearly killed me a while ago. I don't know if I have the willpower to try this again..."
Don't be a sissy.
Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shasam

Psychosomnium is a strange one. It's probably the shortest, I would think, and you switch characters quite a few times, which throws up a couple of new ways to play. At the end though, I felt as if it wasn't enough. It ended suddenly, really suddenly. I think if it had gone on a little longer, and maybe delivered a little more on the illogical puzzles aspect, it could have been my favourite.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rowr
Endogene said:
"ill try them out in a minute
i hate you for providing a link to the "i want to be the guy game".... i know it will hurt but its calling for me...."
Yeh I know. I also hate me for including it..

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DualReaver

I got stuck in seven minutes. :/
I beat Mighty Jill Off, had lots of fun with that. Great platformer. :)
Going to try Psycho-whatever a little bit later.
I refuse to play The Last Guy ever again.

I'm surprised I enjoyed Mighty Jill Off, I usually hate plat formers (Fucking Mario brothers).

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rowr

where did you get stuck in seven minutes?

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By danielkempster

I'm curious, Rowr, has the addition of the Community Thread resulted in more activity in the Let's Play thread? As this is the first Let's Play I've gotten involved in, I've got nothing to compare it against, and it'd be cool to know if the new thread's making a difference.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Absurd

Wow, Nice selection

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DualReaver
Rowr said:
"where did you get stuck in seven minutes?
"
The part where you had to choose which paths. :/
I am a bad platformer. lol

Seriously though I <3 this thread, I cannot believe I didn't take any notice to the first one.
Some of these games are really neat.
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I've beaten that one Street Fighter boss in I Wanna Be the Guy and I'm on the next screen after that.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Absurd

This game is harder than I thought it would be :|

zhinse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zhinse

Just finished Seven Minutes and will probably never play it ever agin. It creates an interesting atmosphere, very creepy i think. 

As for its gameplay. The frustration element of it didn't really become payed off with that usual "yes.. i did it." feeling you usually get from difficult platformers,  at least in my opinion.  Its probably because the screens were so short and you were constantly rushing since you only had 7 minutes. It's an interesting design but, i it's not going to appeal to me really if it really was hard. 
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vaxadrin

I just had a massive session of I Wanna Be The Guy.  I made it all the way up to the Ghosts & Goblins massive spiked corridor thing when the game crashed on me. :(

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rowr
Shasam said:
"Psychosomnium is a strange one. It's probably the shortest, I would think, and you switch characters quite a few times, which throws up a couple of new ways to play. At the end though, I felt as if it wasn't enough. It ended suddenly, really suddenly. I think if it had gone on a little longer, and maybe delivered a little more on the illogical puzzles aspect, it could have been my favourite."
I agree.

I found the switching up of the characters extremely entertaining and a great method for keeping the game fresh. It was like reading an clever, whimsically illogical short story.

dankempster said:
"Ok, I just got the "other" ending and can't get my head round it at all.

Perhaps the overall message is to accept your fate rather than trying to run from it. I hate reading into things too much (says the English student) but Seven Minutes really promotes that kind of thinking."
One of the readings i got was to listen to people when they try and offer you wisdom.

I really enjoyed this one. (seven minutes)

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Johnny5

I think for an amateur game Seven Minutes has done a great job at creating atmosphere. Something about it is weird. Like your brain is thinking "its weird ass shit" but somewhere else you feel it makes sense? Im confused nevermind.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vaxadrin

It's got this retro familiarity to it.  The soundtrack & graphics feel right at home for those of us who played 8 bit games when we were younger, but then it creates the atmosphere within those boundaries.  Basically, if the game came out 20 years ago, it would be extremely creepy & weird.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rowr

For me it was the clever monologue and the way it was presented, that created the bulk of the atmosphere.

Vaxadrin said:

"It's got this retro familiarity to it.  The soundtrack & graphics feel right at home for those of us who played 8 bit games when we were younger, but then it creates the atmosphere within those boundaries.  Basically, if the game came out 20 years ago, it would be extremely creepy & weird."
I wonder how this would of been received 20 years ago? When the graphics would have made the game cutting edge.

I found an interesting glitch, I thought it could be a secret, but i couldnt get anything interesting happen with it. Maybe my timing sux.

Move up against this block as you jump, for big airtime.

Weeee!
Weeee!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Rowr said:
"For me it was the clever monologue and the way it was presented, that created the bulk of the atmosphere.

Vaxadrin said:
"It's got this retro familiarity to it.  The soundtrack & graphics feel right at home for those of us who played 8 bit games when we were younger, but then it creates the atmosphere within those boundaries.  Basically, if the game came out 20 years ago, it would be extremely creepy & weird."
I wonder how this would of been received 20 years ago? When the graphics would have made the game cutting edge.

I found an interesting glitch, I thought it could be a secret, but i couldnt get anything interesting happen with it. Maybe my timing sux.

Move up against this block as you jump, for big airtime.

Weeee!
Weeee!

"
Yeah, I got that too, and also thought it could be a secret, I thought you might be able to jump back up hole you came out of, or the other hole, but I couldn't. I think its just a glitch.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Rowr

I was hoping to pwn the boss with it.

Motoracer2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Motoracer2005

I completed it the traditional way first, and then just now i've got the 'true' ending, which was kinda wierd and pointless.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

The true ending isn't pointless from an artistic standpoint but it is from a gameplay one.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rowr

DId anybody play I wanna be the guy?

I would be curious to know what you guys thought of it.

I quit the game after the second screen when i identified it as a torture simulator.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50  Edited By turboman

I want to be the guy=greatest game ever