Like blood from a stone...

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By buzz_clik

Although it's never really as exciting as this shot may seem, Vampire Rain is not the Worst Game Evarz™
Although it's never really as exciting as this shot may seem, Vampire Rain is not the Worst Game Evarz™
So, I've just finished Vampire Rain. When I first started playing it, I'd reported that I thought it was freakin' terrible. That's because the opening 6 levels are dire, plodding stealth affairs that don't want you to think outside the box. Level 7 sees the introduction of weapons, and even then you're not really encouraged to use them throughout the game. No, the makers of Vampire Rain loved their stealth element so much that they made it the primary focus for a considerable slab of the game.

As previously stated, I'm planning on writing a review for this game. I know, it's been out for ages and everybody knows it's not the most amazing title ever to grace Microsoft's machine. Hardly the most timely review, but I just want to get one under my belt. Funny thing is, my review of Vampire Rain isn't going to be completely damning; there are moments where it can be a somewhat enjoyable experience. The problem is that these moments aren't as often as one would hope, and even then most are bonus missions that are peripheral to moving the story forward. Uh, if you were not to skip some of the cutscenes as I did, that is.

But that's not the point of this blog entry. Nope, I'm just typing to have a little whinge about Achievement points. Yes, I'm one of those people. Y'see, after all my toil with this not-as-wretched-as-people-want-it-to-be-but-still-pretty-wretched game, I emerged with a paltry 50G. Ugh. Then I had a think about the other titles that have been measly with coughing up the Gamerscore goodness. Apart from Perfect Dark Zero (a launch title, so I'll cut it some slack), these are the other titles that I think have grifted me:

The more astute among you may have noticed that these games, just like Vampire Rain, are el cheapo Japanese titles. I know, they're games that aren't considered to be top-shelf. As such, you probably think I get what I deserve for mucking around with such things (although I'll go three rounds of fisticuffs with anyone who thinks EDF 2017 isn't a fun game). But still, what conclusion are we supposed to draw from this? Japanese developers think you have to be punished for being a cheapskate?

No, I think the conclusion we should draw is that I can be a slut for the Achievements, and maybe that's where the problems start.

Anybody know any other titles that are tightfisted with the Achievements?
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By buzz_clik

So, I've just finished Vampire Rain. When I first started playing it, I'd reported that I thought it was freakin' terrible. That's because the opening 6 levels are dire, plodding stealth affairs that don't want you to think outside the box. Level 7 sees the introduction of weapons, and even then you're not really encouraged to use them throughout the game. No, the makers of Vampire Rain loved their stealth element so much that they made it the primary focus for a considerable slab of the game.

As previously stated, I'm planning on writing a review for this game. I know, it's been out for ages and everybody knows it's not the most amazing title ever to grace Microsoft's machine. Hardly the most timely review, but I just want to get one under my belt. Funny thing is, my review of Vampire Rain isn't going to be completely damning; there are moments where it can be a somewhat enjoyable experience. The problem is that these moments aren't as often as one would hope, and even then most are bonus missions that are peripheral to moving the story forward. Uh, if you were not to skip some of the cutscenes as I did, that is.

But that's not the point of this blog entry. Nope, I'm just typing to have a little whinge about Achievement points. Yes, I'm one of those people. Y'see, after all my toil with this not-as-wretched-as-people-want-it-to-be-but-still-pretty-wretched game, I emerged with a paltry 50G. Ugh. Then I had a think about the other titles that have been measly with coughing up the Gamerscore goodness. Apart from Perfect Dark Zero (a launch title, so I'll cut it some slack), these are the other titles that I think have grifted me:

The more astute among you may have noticed that these games, just like Vampire Rain, are el cheapo Japanese titles. I know, they're games that aren't considered to be top-shelf. As such, you probably think I get what I deserve for mucking around with such things (although I'll go three rounds of fisticuffs with anyone who thinks EDF 2017 isn't a fun game). But still, what conclusion are we supposed to draw from this? Japanese developers think you have to be punished for being a cheapskate?

No, I think the conclusion we should draw is that I can be a slut for the Achievements, and maybe that's where the problems start.

Anybody know any other titles that are tightfisted with the Achievements?
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThomasP

I used to own a 360, but I can't recall any games that were tightfisted with Achievements. I'll definitely check out the Vampire Rain review. I've been contemplating writing some reviews myself.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#3  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Some of the achievements in Onechanbara are actually quite easy... Not that I'd know anything about that.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By buzz_clik
@Sleepy_Insomniac: Heh. I won't tell anyone if you don't.

I know some of the Achievements in Onechanbara are simple to chase; those that I've got I've deliberately gone after I've obtained easily. I'm just coming at it from the point of view that I've gone through the game one and a half times, and all I've got to show for it is 90G. I'm fine with having Achievements that you have to go out of your way to get (as opposed to those which just come with game progression), but that's nearly all of them for Onechanbara. In fact, only 4 of them are for playing the game through. The rest are mostly things you have to actively do, and three times at that.

P.S. I can't get that stupid mega-long combo going, no matter how many videos I watch of it. But again, neither of us know anything about that, right?
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MKHavoc

I got half of the achievements in DBZ: Burst limit but only 250 points.

EDIT: I actually got 290 still not great though.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By buzz_clik

I forgot to add that my boss has a theory that you should get 600G from a game throughout one normal playthrough of a game, and the remaining 400G should be stuff you have to chase. What's everyone's thoughts on this kind of distribution?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Bigandtasty

haha, no common achieves on vampire rain and onechanbara, rather telling

as for 600 normal playthrough/400 cleanup, it's a solid idea for long games but games with shorter campaigns could deviate from that and still be fine
makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By makari

If you play through the main game of Eternal Sonata without doing any optional stuff, you'll only get 130 points. To add insult to injury, 660 points are only available on your second run of the game, one of them lumped into one of the biggest point awards for a single achievement I've seen. JRPG's are fairly stingy in the fact that they tend make you play them multiple times when they already take ages to finish in the first place.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By buzz_clik
@makari: Eek. How long is Eternal Sonata? I've always been interested in picking it up, as you always see it going for cheap. I'm not saying the Achievement situation would deter me from playing it, but it's certainly a little bummer.

And what do you have to do to get that 321G? (he says, knowing he could be hopping on the bus to Spoilertown)
makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By makari
@buzz_clik: It'll take about 20-25 hours the first run, and can potentially add a lot more hours if you spend a fair amount of time in the optional dungeon. The 321 point achievement is the culmination of completing another of the high-point achievements: collecting all the Score Pieces (which you play with certain NPC's to get items). Some of the Score Pieces you can't get until a second playthrough, and getting the 321pt achievement involves using all the correct Score Pieces with the correct NPC's (some which don't exist until the second playthrough) to get their EZI item, which is basically a useless key item or an accessory that has negative effects, but if you get them all you will unlock the achievement.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain

Yeah the game gets significantly better and less frustrating after level 7 or so. The last boss is even pretty fun. That's what irks me when people are like "luzl Vampire Rain is teh wurst game ever, fact!" having never played it. Yes it's utterly dire, but it has a few redeeming features scattered about, the design picks up about halfway through making it a little more tolerable, and there are worse games (yeah, there at least 11 games this generation alone with a lower metacritic score, when you factor in that this is all subjective, including the Wii and DS, you could probably pick out over 200 games this generation alone that are worse)

I enjoyed a few parts of it but overall played it out of morbid curiosity as I picked it up super cheap. I've certainly had a more frustrating time with certain other games, but then I decided to follow a walkthrough, after all this game is literally impossible without one and I wanted to see it all the way through instead of not get passed the first level and come to a foregone conclusion like so many others.

As for games that are tight fisted with acheivements, there are plenty western ones as well, Ghost Recons for example and Tiger Woods having #1 on the leaderboard achieves, sup with that? Especially tiger woods, as you CANNOT get it anymore due to the 06 version of the game (and possibly 07) online component having been shut down long ago.

There are more Japanese titles too, such as Bomberman Act Zero, break a MILLION blocks?! You gotta be kidding me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By mike

When I read this blog post title, I initially thought that it was about me getting an orgasm out of a woman.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Moeez

I also have a morbid curiosity to check out this game, because I'm a stealth whore although haven't played many 3rd rate stealth games (Cold War; another stealth game with a hot chick and X-ray glasses or some gadgets).