#1 Posted by Alarmpunch (13 posts) -

Hello all. I am going to be upgrading my pc in a few weeks and want a little help with some things. I am going to be getting a new ram ,mother board, an i5 2500k and windows 7. i currently have xp (i know i know). should i install the i5 and new mother board first and then windows 7 or the other way around? what about the ram? i am actually really confused ha ha and i am worried ill mess it up to be honest. any help would be much appreciated

#2 Posted by Shivoa (623 posts) -

Are you trying to upgrade your OS or do you plan to start with a clean install and reinstall your games/software and copy over your old data/documents?

#3 Posted by Alarmpunch (13 posts) -

@Shivoa: Gonna do a clean install

#4 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

Get all the upgrades first. It can be a pain to get Windows to activate when you change your parts. If you have an OEM version of Win7, it's tied to the motherboard it was installed on. If you activate a retail version of Win7 and change your hardware significantly, you have to re-activate, which may involved having to phone MS. Just get all your upgrades and then install Win7.

#5 Posted by Alarmpunch (13 posts) -

so i should put in the new motherboard, ram and cpu then install win7 last?

#6 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

@Alarmpunch said:

Pretty much.

#7 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@Alarmpunch said:

Yeah, you need to get the hardware set up first anyway. Make sure it actually turns on after upgrading the CPU and whatnot. Then install Win7.

#8 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

If there is any one part you should install before the OS that part would be the motherboard.

#9 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Alarmpunch said:

Yeah, you need to get the hardware set up first anyway. Make sure it actually turns on after upgrading the CPU and whatnot. Then install Win7.

What he said. Make sure the system boots and posts and XP loads fine.

#10 Posted by Shivoa (623 posts) -

Do all the backups to make sure all your data archives are current and you won't lose anything if the HDD caught on fire during the switch (There is no such thing as uniquely stored data that is guaranteed to be accessible, only data that has not yet become lost due to lack of backups). Shut down WinXP.

Switch over mobo/RAM/CPU core system and hook everything back up (except the HDD). Make sure it POSTs and gets to the point where is asks for a disc with an operating system. Then insert the Win7 DVD and immediately shut down, hook up the HDD and reboot. Tell it to install a clean copy of the OS (to the existing partition, don't reformat unless you want to copy back all documents from backup rather than just move them from the backup folder Win7 installer creates) and it should talk about old files on the drive. Tell it to install the new OS and move the files to a backup directory (should be default) and it'll move the old Windows files out of the way of the new OS but you'll be able to browse them to get your documents.

If you take a WinXP HDD an install it into a new computer (which is exactly what you're doing when you do a major hardware upgrade tot he core components) then it may boot, but it may fault for many reasons during boot. You can increase the chance of it booting by installing all the drivers for your new hardware into the OS before you switch the hardware but even then there are no guarantees. So don't expect that once the hardware is swapped that you'll be able to boot up WinXP and it'll just install the new drivers and work fine. It might, but it isn't a sure bet. And as you're doing a clean OS install you don't need it to boot WinXP on the new hardware.

#11 Posted by Alarmpunch (13 posts) -

oh man this is complicated ha ha