#1 Posted by Cleric22 (95 posts) -

I'm just curious if this has been brought up, or if it's frowned upon or even not really allowed and if that's the case, my bad.

Does anyone ever look to find local duders in their area? I won't go into my details just yet, but I've always wondered how many people happen to be followers of Giant Bomb who also live in my area. We used to do yearly meet ups with my WoW guild and we would find a public place to meet and grab food and such. I'm just honestly wondering why I haven't seen anything along these lines.

#2 Edited by Nux (2419 posts) -

I will often ware my one of my GB shirts when I go out in hopes of finding some duders. It worked once when I was at the NY comic con. I was on line to enter the Javits Center with a friend and someone noticed my I'm a wizard shirt and asked if I was a member of Giant Bomb. I never got his username but I had a fun time talking to him as we waited.

#3 Posted by Fattony12000 (7558 posts) -

I'm So Local To My Area.

I've seen one other person wearing a Giant Bomb shirt in public in all the world. That was at EGX 2013.

#4 Edited by ShaggE (6694 posts) -

I tried walking around the city doing the GB plumbob gang sign, but that just got me jumped by Rival Video Game Website thugs. (and, weirdly, some happypuppy.com devotees)

#5 Posted by rentfn (1288 posts) -

When ever I go to my Local Arcade I try to wear a Giant Bomb shirt. Thought it would be a nice way to start conversations. Haven't seen anyone else with one and no one has come up to me. I'm the only Giant Bomb fan in my area. :(

#6 Posted by Veektarius (5010 posts) -

@shagge: There are still some times, when for whatever reason I'm bored out of my skull and am staring at a blank browser window, that the first thing it occurs to me to type in the address bar is www.happypuppy.com.

#7 Posted by PimblyCharles (1633 posts) -

I found a local duder from their avatar, and we follow each other on the site. Meeting up in person?.... nope. I don't think it's a wise idea, though it is cool knowing I'm not the only duder in my city.

#8 Posted by DwigtK (261 posts) -

I have thought a few times about doing a Giant Bomb meetup in my town, I know there is at least one duder I have not met (He sent and email to the Bombcast once)

#9 Edited by pinner458 (847 posts) -

I wouldn't mind meeting up with a Giant Bomb fan in my area, i don't see how it's not a good idea, I guess its just based off the idea that meeting people on the internet is dangerous but I don't feel like that would be the case with Giant Bomb duders, dating websites and chat rooms shit are different. Having said that I think the odds of it actually happening are slim to none.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6694 posts) -

@veektarius: Haha, same here. Absolutely loved that site.

#11 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (714 posts) -

We need a Giant Bomb Tinder.

#12 Posted by Slaps2 (286 posts) -

There is a yearly duder meet up in my area. It's called Pax East.

#13 Edited by Nodima (1290 posts) -

Every time @patrickklepek mentions he's on his way to Omaha I try to suggest places to explore if he ever ditches his wife's family for a day and one of them is always the bar I work at, but so far no dice!

#14 Posted by Camelizer (104 posts) -

@nodima: Patricks must think that the bar you work at is really nice/popular if it is the one constant to your suggestions. Probably thinks its like some tourist attraction or was visited by someone famous at one point.

I vaguely remember seeing someone wearing a Giantbomb shirt, I think it was a Lincoln Force one, a couple years ago while I was driving through a town near me but that's the extent of that.

#15 Posted by Nodima (1290 posts) -

@nodima: Patricks must think that the bar you work at is really nice/popular if it is the one constant to your suggestions. Probably thinks its like some tourist attraction or was visited by someone famous at one point.

I vaguely remember seeing someone wearing a Giantbomb shirt, I think it was a Lincoln Force one, a couple years ago while I was driving through a town near me but that's the extent of that.

Well, it is owned by Conor Oberst and a lot of Saddle Creek guys frequent it so it actually can be a bit of a tourist attraction at times for people who were a big fan of the mid-90s midwest emo/punk scene. But mostly it's just a dark lounge with great cocktails and crafts that used to be a used bookstore and generally only fills up 50-75% of the way so it strikes me as the sort of place Patrick's be-cardigan'd behind would really enjoy.

One guy came in wearing a Final Fantasy symphony shirt once and I thought about asking him if he knew Giant Bomb but I just complimented his shirt instead.

#16 Posted by TooSweet (398 posts) -

I ran into one dude at this bar I go to for wings in downtown Manhattan a few years ago. That aside would be cool to play some arcades and drink beer with some of the local giantbomb folks.

#17 Posted by skadave (200 posts) -

A person from Maplewood NJ once had his email read on the Bombcast, so i know that at least ONE other person in my town is a duder.

#18 Posted by HatKing (6104 posts) -

Somebody who lives in my hometown and has my same name once sent an email in. That was weird. I've thought about trying to create some sort of local meetup, but that'd likely end in failure. This isn't a large town, and as big as Giant Bomb has gotten, it's still relatively niche in the grand scheme of things people pay attention to on the internet. I did almost attend the Chicago meet up thing a while back, which isn't terribly far from me, but something else kept me from attending.

#19 Posted by Daveyo520 (6993 posts) -

I've meet a guy while at work who goes here because he was wearing a GB shirt. So I guess wear your GB shirts out and about and you may find duders around.

#20 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1828 posts) -

Last year I went to a Killswitch Engage concert on the day they announced Ryan's passing. I saw a guy wearing a GB shirt, went up to hi just as someone else did for the same reason. We ended up talking a lot about Ryan and GB and other shit and had really good time. I bought us a round of shots in Ryan's honor.

Then a few weeks later there was a Giant Bomb Chicago meet-up at Headquarters Beercade, which was a fucking blast. Hope to do that again this year!

#21 Posted by Itwongo (1245 posts) -

Seattle area. PAX Prime, sucka

#22 Edited by ZolRoyce (830 posts) -

So what's the etiquette for bumping into another duder in our areas? I assume yell out Giantbomb really really loud and then touch their shoulder? Or touch their should and then shout?

#23 Posted by cbk486 (187 posts) -

That be cool if there were annual GB meetups or anything like that.

#24 Edited by mageemagoo (205 posts) -

Actually this semester when I was at my fraternity's recruiting table I saw a guy walk by wearing a GB shirt. I yelled out to him but he scooted away awkwardly. That's the only time I've seen a giant bomber in the wild.

#25 Posted by Vahleticar (153 posts) -

@zolroyce said:

So what's the etiquette for bumping into another duder in our areas? I assume yell out Giantbomb really really loud and then touch their shoulder? Or touch their should and then shout?

I would like to know this. If such thing exists, I think this was discussed on a bombcast at so e point

#26 Posted by Fobwashed (2223 posts) -

I'm in Bellevue, WA just outside of Seattle. I've had a total of two people approach me while I've worn some form of GB related clothing. Whenever I see someone sportin some GB, I always just say "duder" as I walk by =]

I've also run into a ton of people from here at PAX. Pretty much, PAX is where to go to meet up. There'll definitely be a PAX Prime 2014 thread/DM chain at some point. Get in on it and meet up when you can or just say hi to everyone at the GB panel.

#27 Edited by PimblyCharles (1633 posts) -

@zolroyce said:

I would like to know this. If such thing exists, I think this was discussed on a bombcast at so e point

I'd awkwardly and uncomfortably walk up to them, pull my hand out and hopefully expect this to happen:

#28 Posted by Hunter5024 (5959 posts) -

I remember a while ago someone did a map and asked users to pin their location and I didn't see anyone else in Tucson. I don't think there are many fans who live here. When I meet people who know about games I usually casually drop the name of the site to see if they're a fan. No dice so far.

#29 Posted by cooljammer00 (2041 posts) -

PAX East was revelation in terms of talking to other GB people. Of course, it was usually...on line for a GB panel, but it was still really fun to have that in common with people.

With that said, I've rarely met a GB person IRL outside of a gaming convention. Even at PAX, I tried talking about the GB panel and the Royal Rumble with some people I was waiting for the hotel shuttle with, and they had no idea what Giant Bomb was. I had almost forgotten that we were at a Penny Arcade Expo, not Giant Bomb Con (which, guy who asked that at the panel, is still an awesome idea)

One day I'm gonna tear apart my room and find my original Whiskey Media shirt with the roller coaster. Time to put that back into the rotation so the Lincoln Force shirt I have and wear all the time doesn't disintegrate.

#30 Posted by Vahleticar (153 posts) -

@pimblycharles: Haha thats a bit anticlimactic, what about a horizontal jazz shake is that acceptable?

#31 Posted by cooljammer00 (2041 posts) -

@vahleticar said:

@zolroyce said:

I'd awkwardly and uncomfortably walk up to them, pull my hand out and hopefully expect this to happen:

Didn't someone send in an email once saying they were on a train and their future girlfriend or something could hear the Bombcast theme through the other person's headphones? There are official Giant Bomb meet cutes going on; the rest of us really shouldn't be having that much of a problem.

#32 Posted by Vahleticar (153 posts) -

Didn't someone send in an email once saying they were on a train and their future girlfriend or something could hear the Bombcast theme through the other person's headphones? There are official Giant Bomb meet cutes going on; the rest of us really shouldn't be having that much of a problem.

Yeah that right, sounds a little to perfect to me hahe

#33 Posted by Cleric22 (95 posts) -

I can see peoples hesitation to meet people off the internet, but since I do internet dating it's not really that foreign of an idea to me. Without getting into too much specifics I'm in between D.C. and Baltimore, MD so if any duders wanna do a meet up feel free to let me know! I've met two other people who were already friends who listen to the Bombcast, but no strangers yet.

#34 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3792 posts) -

I once saw a guy with a whiskey media membership shirt and said nice T-shirt and gave him a high five. He might of been an out of towner and just thought I was crazy and homeless.

#35 Posted by Zalrus9 (117 posts) -

I once saw a guy with a Giant Bomb hoodie when visiting my hometown, but I didn't talk to him. Where I'm living, I don't know any duders. No open ones, anyway.

#36 Edited by Corevi (4787 posts) -

Haven't seen a single person with a GB shirt in Ottawa. Not even at Comic Con.