Local Video Game Stores

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whackmypinata

Do you still have them? Or has GameStop/Best Buy/Circuit City killed them all off?

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By suneku

Yup my local game stores have been dead for at least 7 years already.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

I have no mom & pop shops left. :-(

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My local video game store is GameStop... :S

Is there supposed to be anywhere else?

TheRizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TheRizzle

There used to be 2 really good ones around here when I was a kid, but they've both become shells of their former glory. I never used to mind paying a few dollars more to buy that those stores, 'cause they'd let you go in and try and games before buying/renting.  They used to also rent PC games waaaaay back in the day. I remember when I rented Daggerfall, the guy behind the counter tried to talk me out of it because i only rented it for 3 days and he told me it would probably take me months to do everything.

I rented it anyways and barely got out of the first dungeon, but I loved it so much I bought it.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By whackmypinata

I still have a couple I've seen near my house, but they're far enough that I still go to GameStop. I'd support them but hey, they're far away.

blue74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blue74

we still have couple of local gamestores in my area

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

ive heard about them just never seen one with my own eyes :P 

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By whackmypinata
blue74 said:
"we still have couple of local gamestores in my area"
Are they doing well? I mean, I wonder how mine are still alive.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Oriental_Jams

The nearest game store to me is a Game but that's a franchise. There's one in Kingston called Barkman Computers though that's a couple of miles away.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By kush

I still have them around, but some are really crappy. When they overprice things it's hard to keep a solid amount of business...but there is a pretty nice one about a mile away from where I live and it's got a lot of good deals.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By danielkempster

There's a small game store about five or six miles away from where I live. They seem to do pretty well. They also import American DS games, so if Chrono Trigger DS doesn't make it here, I'll be paying them a visit come November!

SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlayingShogun

I have a local gamestore and its great it sells games from every system you can imagine and the old systems themselves. And you may think oh they just have only some from each but no i mean you could go in there and ask for some turbografix game and they'll have (I haven't played turbografix or whatever but i mention it to make a point) it . Also another cool thing about it are all the posters for old games like Maximum Carnage for SNES advertising that theres a limited edition red cartridge and that it had 32MEGS or maybe that was killer instinct :P. Anyway sorry for the long post guys but I just Simply love that store you get this great feeling of nostalgia being there.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Illmatic

None in my area. Only small time game store I've ever seen was while I still lived in NY. I was only in elementary school back then so I don't remember much. I just remember that  thanks to that store I just happened to always end up with a classic game for my SNES. (Didn't know about game magazines back then.)

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whackmypinata
SlayingShogun said:
"I have a local gamestore and its great it sells games from every system you can imagine and the old systems themselves. And you may think oh they just have only some from each but no i mean you could go in there and ask for some turbografix game and they'll have (I haven't played turbografix or whatever but i mention it to make a point) it . Also another cool thing about it are all the posters for old games like Maximum Carnage for SNES advertising that theres a limited edition red cartridge and that it had 32MEGS or maybe that was killer instinct :P. Anyway sorry for the long post guys but I just Simply love that store you get this great feeling of nostalgia being there."
That sounds awesome. I also used to have one that sounds similar. I used to go in when I was 5 or 6 with my mom and point at a game that looked cool. I have a lot of shitty Game Boy games, lol.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Nope, I dont even have a comic store near me, nor in driving distance.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Illmatic
SlayingShogun said:
"I have a local gamestore and its great it sells games from every system you can imagine and the old systems themselves. And you may think oh they just have only some from each but no i mean you could go in there and ask for some turbografix game and they'll have (I haven't played turbografix or whatever but i mention it to make a point) it . Also another cool thing about it are all the posters for old games like Maximum Carnage for SNES advertising that theres a limited edition red cartridge and that it had 32MEGS or maybe that was killer instinct :P. Anyway sorry for the long post guys but I just Simply love that store you get this great feeling of nostalgia being there."
Every time I see an area for a new store open up near my house, that's honestly one of the things I wish would rent out the building. That and a barbershop.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By weltal

None that I know of. Of course I've never looked. I mean, why should I when I have three Gamestops/EBs, a Circuit City, Best Buy, and if all else fails, Wal-Mart all within a 5 minute drive.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demyx

I don't think so, but I get most of my games online anyway.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By atejas

There's only one reliable gamestore within reasonable distance, and even that's a half-hour drive.
Plus they only sell new games, no place at all to find classics except ebay, which is untrustworthy here.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vyse_Legends

Sadly I don't have any local game stores near me.:(

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By whackmypinata
atejas said:
"

There's only one reliable gamestore within reasonable distance, and even that's a half-hour drive.
Plus they only sell new games, no place at all to find classics except ebay, which is untrustworthy here.

"
How is eBay untrustworthy?
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By atejas
whackmypinata said:
"atejas said:
"

"
How is eBay untrustworthy?"

i mean ebay.co.in, where you don't have to pay atrocious shipping charges, but run the possibility of getting a blank CD for your time and money.
Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blu_Magic

The only gamestores around here are a Gamestop and a Bestbuy.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By logson

In Pittsburgh there's still The Exchange, which is a small franchise. Unfortunately, they're just as dirty as GameStop with used games.

Kevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kevin

There's a place here called "Games 4 Less" which I had a terrible experience with. The games were probably more expensive, and every time I pass by they still have signs for the N64 and DreamCast. Not only that, but it's surrounded by GameStop, GameCrazy, and Circuit City.

Also, things that use numbers for words generally suck.

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Box3ru13

there are a few where i live but i dont go there, there are some nice ones where I've been and was able to pick up some old ps2 games for cheap. Cool to see they had em.

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bear

There is a video game store that just opened up this year called PnP games. I think the only reason they can survive is because all they sell is classic games.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK

i haz a lot of them but they are all second hand shops but you cn get stuff there insanely cheap

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By whackmypinata
Bear said:
"There is a video game store that just opened up this year called PnP games. I think the only reason they can survive is because all they sell is classic games."
Sorry to say but I bet it won't last very long.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

There's a store called Games+ in Mesa Arizona.  I've been to it a few times and each time it's been pretty bad.  They have a bunch of jacked looking games piled up like garbage, they ignore you until you start to leave, the place smells terrible, it's hot as hell with no air conditioning just a fan in the corner, they'll have a couple dozen copies of a game but they'll be priced way too high(10 bucks for 10 yard fight, no thanks)  the fat guy who's worked there is loud and obnoxious, they're fanboys and get mad if someone doesn't know that an NES doesn't always work, it smells, I mean it really smells, it smells really bad and is hot, they don't price games for all their systems.  If you want to buy an Atari game and ask how much it costs, they must, check their "database", which means they check ebay to see what it's going for.  Yeah it sucks, they make gamestop and eb employees seem great. 

GP1Mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GP1Mil

Still have one here in Ann Arbor, MI where I go get all my Dreamcast needs and Sega CD needs

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Man, I'd love a local place that sells classic games.

Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Balls

Yeah, there are local places near me but unfortunately yeah, they suck. They only get like one to two copies of the new releases. I don't think there's a way for them to compete if they just copy the big stores. They need to do something different like have contests where the winner gets M&ms.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By whackmypinata
Balls said:
"Yeah, there are local places near me but unfortunately yeah, they suck. They only get like one to two copies of the new releases. I don't think there's a way for them to compete if they just copy the big stores. They need to do something different like have contests where the winner gets M&ms."
I'd play there.
PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PulledaBrad

Old topic to drudge up but instead of making a new thread thought I would post in here. Went to the mall today in what seems like forever. Apparently there is a new game store in there called 3D Games. Anyone heard of it before? I know I havent. Browsed around a bit and thought that their selection wasnt huge, but what intrigued me was the fact that they were selling older games there. By that I mean Genesis SNES NES PSOne Gameboy etc. Thought that especially neat. If one would like to find games of that type around here its either a Half Price Books or the internet. Just wanted to know if anyone else had an opinion of these stores. Could they become competetion for Gamestop? Probably not, but I sure would like to see that happen.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By damnboyadvance

Can't think of any. I'm not sure if there has ever even been any before. We have a few Family Video stores that rent video games, but they don't sell them unless they're cleaning the shelves.