#1 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

Hi, 

After seeing the Fire Emblem news today, I was pretty stocked to see it was out on Feb 4th. 
Until I then saw it was out in April in Europe. 

Is there any real reason for this? Surely it can't be hard to translate from English to English, right? I'm probably just bitter that a LOT OF Nintendo games are spoiled by the time they reach the UK, but can anyone shed light on why it takes months to go from NA to EU?

#2 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -

I believe it is due to EU games requiring several languages more than NA games (e.g. Spanish, Dutch, German, French) where in NA games generally only require English and maybe French. I'm not sure about FE in particular having five translations but I do recall my european copy of Minish Cap having a manual about fifteen times as thick as any NA game, as well as the language options. 

#3 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -
@NyxFe said:
I believe it is due to EU games requiring several languages more than NA games (e.g. Spanish, Dutch, German, French) where in NA games generally only require English and maybe French. I'm not sure about FE in particular having five translations but I do recall my european copy of Minish Cap having a manual about fifteen times as thick as any NA game, as well as the language options. 
I guess that makes sense. It just seems redundant for English, the most spoken language in the world being almost an afterthought. Just releasing an "English" version in Europe would probably work just aswell, then release the rest at a later date.
#4 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1877 posts) -

@Fallen189: Maybe that would work for you, but there are a lot of gamers in France, Germany, Spain, etc. that would be disappointed with an English only version.

#5 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -
@ll_Exile_ll said:

@Fallen189: Maybe that would work for you, but there are a lot of gamers in France, Germany, Spain, etc. that would be disappointed with an English only version.

I'm not implying we make an English only version for Europe. More a European release of the NA version in only English, then a re-print when the other languages are translated to completion.
#6 Posted by Gaff (1849 posts) -

I think it has more to do with giving the European divisions time to churn out PR material (TV ads, posters, etc) catering to European tastes in multiple languages than the actual process of localizing / translating the game proper.