Long Car Ride Coming Up. Listening Suggestions?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, duders. Tomorrow, I have a car trip to DC from Long Island. I took my trip up here on Thursday and listened to last week's bombcast on the way up, so I'm sort of screwed when it comes to keeping entertained tomorrow. I'm driving down alone, and the drive will take roughly 5 hours, so I'm wondering:

What do you guys listen to on long trips? Ideally, I'm looking for something video game related and similar to the bombcast, but I'd be interested in anything you find entertaining. Ideally, it would be something fairly lengthy. For the record, I have considered listening to old bombcasts, but would like to avoid listening to the guys talk about stuff which isn't super relevant anymore. Thanks for the help, guys.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Went on a 30 hour drive (almost entirely in one go by myself) with a lot of the bombcasts. I had never listened to one ever, so it was great to hear the guys talking about stuff shooting the shit instead of staying focused on a game. Also had a few episodes of the power bombcast downloaded too.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Slaps2

Why not rock out to some awesome video game tunes at some point in your trip?

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2: I have a bunch of video game music on my phone, but I don't just want to listen to music for 5-6 straight hours. That definitely happens at around the 4 hour mark though, haha.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

If you've got about a terabyte of free hard drive space, I'd recommend going to ftp://ftp.df.lth.se/pub/media/soasc/soasc_mp3/ and downloading their collection of about 45000 Commodore 64 songs (from the HVSC archive) recorded to MP3 using original hardware (both 6581 and 8580 sound chips), then setting up your mp3 player to play random tracks from there. EDIT: Looks like a huge chunk of the archive is currently missing, which I guess is great if you don't have that much space to spare, seems like currently the entire Musicians folder is empty, and that used to contain the largest selection of music

Other than that, I guess Skeptic's Guide to the Universe, The Geekbox, Rebel FM, IGN's Podcast Beyond, Retronauts (now an independent kickstarter backed podcast since the closure of 1UP) and 8-4 Play could work?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Comedy Bang Bang. By far the best comedy podcast out there. There are certainly some bad episodes here and there, but that's going to happen occasionally when you base your show around guests and improvisation.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By afabs515

@fisk0: Well, my phone doesn't have a TB of space haha, but I'll definitely look into those podcasts. How do you feel about IGN's podcast? I've been considering listening to that for a while, but wasn't sure what to expect considering, you know, it's IGN.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@afabs515 said:

@fisk0: Well, my phone doesn't have a TB of space haha, but I'll definitely look into those podcasts. How do you feel about IGN's podcast? I've been considering listening to that for a while, but wasn't sure what to expect considering, you know, it's IGN.

I think Podcast Beyond is a fantastic podcast. It's their PlayStation podcast, but I started listening to it before I even had a PS3 or Vita and still found it incredibly entertaining. Like the Bombcast, they usually veer off into random topics for about half the show, and I find Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty to be really good hosts (the rest of the staff have changed over the years). It's the only IGN podcast I listen to though.

Common_Moniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally unrelated to video games, but I would highly recommend "Hardcore History." The presenter Dan Carlin talks about different historical time periods, wars, and conflicts. They can be extremely lengthy (longest being 5 hours and 30 minutes) but are really fascinating listens and excellent for long drives.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Sounds great. Thanks, I'll check that out.

@common_moniker: Unexpected response, but definitely interesting. I'll check that out. Maybe I can get some edu-ma-cation out of this car ride haha.

@chaser324: I've heard about Comedy Bang Bang. Since it can be hit or miss, are there any standout episodes you remember/recommend?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I find listening to some stand up acts from a comedian is a good way to kill a few hours on a long road trip, get some George Carlin or Louis C.K. in audio form and enjoy.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515: I recommend any Comedy Bang Bang episodes with Adam Scott, Paul F. Tompkins, and/or Matt Besser. I don't love Tompkins's standup, and Adam Scott isn't a professional comedian at all, but the chemistry they all have with the host (Scott Aukerman) is great. Actually, just scroll the podcast selection thingy and you can easily see who is a regular guest; watch those ones.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By TheBluthCompany

@development: I would also add Andy Daly to that list. Or listen to the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project.

Common_Moniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515: haha I have learned a lot from it, but I am a lover of history. Safe travels on that trip, duder!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking

On that Comedy Bang Bang note (same producer), I recommend How Did This Get Made. It's a podcast based on terrible movies. It's hosted by Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Mantzoukas (you might recognize these people, especially if you've watched The League). It's basically just them sitting around tearing into the movies and making dumb jokes. It's pretty damn entertaining. And, if you need it to be about video games, they did an episode about Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. They aren't really familiar with the source material, but that almost makes it more fun.

It's also great to listen to if you're ever looking for some dumb movies to watch with friends.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebluthcompany: @development: Thanks for those suggestions, duders!

@hatking: haha, that sounds great! I love listening to people talk about crappy movies, so I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A Life Well Wasted is the best video game podcast there is. There's only 7 episodes + some B-sides, so you could probably burn through the entire series if you haven't already.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Absolutely CBB or The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project. In terms of CBB episodes, any episode with Adam Scott, Paul F Thompkins, Andy Daly, or Jessica St. Claire are always hilarious.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If I was taking a 5 drive I'd probably listen to a mixture of music and Radio 4. So I guess I recommend whatever the American equivalent of radio 4 is?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon soundtracks are amazing for night driving if you have to do that. The Daytona USA and After Burner soundtracks are also pretty great if you have any nostalgia for classic SEGA. There's also Ryan Davis' Summerjams playlist on Spotify.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By frymillstrum

Kermode and Mayo Film Review. Can be funnier than the Bombcast at times...

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Idle Thumbs is definitely my second favorite video game podcast, they have a different perspective though and their opinions take a lot to get used to, but it's great.

Also while you maybe don't need to listen to random old bombcasts, there are a few that stand the test of time, like the GOTY deliberations, and the infamous Johnny V and Adam Boyes edition in late 2009.

Common_Moniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515: If you want some Bombcast stuff, the "This-Year Collection" has a few compilations of different years of Bombcast as well as a ton of other podcasts.

@grimhild: Oh wow that is totally interesting, I will have to listen to that!

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions duders! The car ride went well and I got to DC safely and entertained, thanks in no small part to you. For the record, I downloaded a few episodes of How Did This Get Made? and Comedy Bang Bang. Definitely the right move, as I was laughing for a good portion of the drive, and time seemed to fly by. I'll definitely check out some of those other suggestions too at some point, because I frequently have to make decent drives. Glad to know this community has my back and some pretty great tastes in podcasts. Thanks again!