#1 Posted by Excast (935 posts) -

Just reading that Sara Lima has officially left Comic Vine and it just serves as yet another reminder of the big changes.

- Sara moving to the East Coast and later leaving Comic Vine altogether

- The split up of the company with Will, Norm, and Joey heading off to work with the Mythbusters guys

- Giantbomb being purchased by CBS and going back to work in the same building many of them left years ago

- Matt Rorie leaving Screened and going on like a 16 month job odyssey until finally ending up at Giantbomb

- Dave leaving the site

- Patrick becoming an off site correspondent (I sort of hope this is not just a prelude to him moving on like Sara, but in all honesty it most likely is

And I'm not even going to get into all the weddings and kids. Things have changed pretty quick, eh?

#2 Edited by JasonR86 (9695 posts) -

I read the OP in the Wonder Years' narrator voice and shit.

#3 Posted by McLargepants (379 posts) -

The way Patrick talks about working for Giantbomb and journalism in general makes me very sure he'll be around for a long time.

#4 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

Patrick is not leaving Giant Bomb lol.

#5 Edited by believer258 (11895 posts) -

I'm not Alex's biggest fan but I didn't see his name on there :(.

EDIT: Also, things change. How many of us really expected Giantbomb and Whiskey Media in general to exist as it was forever? Some people just want to move on and do something else with their lives. Maybe some of the Bomb crew will stay there for their entire lives, but I don't think that Giantbomb will stay the same forever.

#6 Posted by EuanDewar (4908 posts) -

I wonder how Comic Vine is doing right now. I know I read that they are, or at least were, one of the most popular comic book websites out there but isn't Tony like the only dude in the CBSi offices who officially works for that site?

#7 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1451 posts) -

My guess is Comic Vine will go the way of Anime Vice. Isn't that site like a community run wiki now?

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

@insane_shadowblade85: I'm pretty sure Comic Vine is still one of the most popular comic book sites, so I don't see it going the way of AV anytime soon...

#9 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4796 posts) -

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

My guess is Comic Vine will go the way of Anime Vice. Isn't that site like a community run wiki now?

You'd think that, but I think Comic Vine is only behind CBR in terms of popularity. It's a huge website for comic readers.

#10 Posted by wjb (1661 posts) -

Whiskey Media will always be the glory days. I loved the office, the people, and the overall environment.

With the way Patrick keeps on mentioning other writers leaving their press jobs to become developers or community managers on Twitter, I doubt he would just turn around and do the same. It's possible down the line, but he obviously loves his work and not a ton of employers would allow him to live wherever he wanted.

#11 Posted by TooWalrus (13195 posts) -

However, Alex and Rorie are reunited, and it feels so good.

#12 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5476 posts) -

We'll always have the memories.

#13 Posted by Slag (4340 posts) -

that's really too bad about Sara, I liked her work. Hope her next venture goes well!

#14 Posted by Excast (935 posts) -

@euandewar: I believe so. They have a few other writers off site, but he is the only dude working on it at the office.

#15 Posted by KarlPilkington (2728 posts) -

Comic Vine gets more traffic than Giant Bomb, I'd say it's here to stay.

#16 Edited by Ramone (2965 posts) -

-Coonce is off snowboarding and playing B-Boy for the PSP.

-Ana is videoing Coonce.

-Kessler and his fellow interns are locked in Brad's basement being forced to farm DOTA items on his behalf.

-Lemon is in the adult films industry.

Things have changed.

#17 Edited by Excast (935 posts) -

Comic Vine gets more traffic than Giant Bomb, I'd say it's here to stay.

Seriously? That is sort of shocking. But I guess there are probably a lot more quality video game sites competing for looks than there are sites devoted to comic books.

#18 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@ramone said:

Oh man what? Lemon was my favorite of the interns! Things have really have changed since the QotW days :(

#19 Edited by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@ramone said:

-Coonce is off snowboarding and playing B-Boy for the PSP.

-Ana is videoing Coonce.

-Kessler and his fellow interns are locked in Brad's basement being forced to farm DOTA items on his behalf.

I am for reals super sad that Coonce got lost in the shuffle of Whiskey dissolving.

While he doesn't quite have the same history or experience in the games industry yet, I think Kessler is actually a more consistent on-video personality than Brad or Ryan. Have you seen Daily Dota? It may as well be " The Crispy and Kessler Comedy Hour, featuring Clueless Brad." And Pascual shows up, because he is contractually obligated to say "Destroy the houses, that's where they live".

But yeah, I would be genuinely surprised if Patrick only works for GB for a few more months and then quits like Sara. As much as he has committed to this decision to move back to Chicago, from all his talk on Spookin' With Scoops and his Jar-Time-Coffee-Mug-Thing videos, it really sounds like Giant Bomb has kind of been his ideal job, and now he'll actually have more time to focus on researching news stories while still doing the occasional Spookin' with Scoops and whatever.

If anything, I'm surprised they continue to justify Alex's employment to whoever pays the salaries at CBSi. No offense, Alex does good work, but surely his reviews and weekly column can't do anywhere near as much traffic as most of the other stuff on the site does? And he's sort of barely a part of the site's overall "voice", given that he isn't on the podcast and has only made like a couple Bombasticas in the past year or so.

#20 Edited by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

Alex reminds me of Arthur gies saying that we need some Arthur gies up in here !

#21 Posted by Humanity (9193 posts) -

I didn't know Sara left ComicVine. Where does she work now? What site do I have to go to in order to look at Sara..

#22 Posted by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

@karlpilkington: Definitely. I dont want to sound mean to the gamespot guys but i think CBS bought giantbomb to replace them cause having two Gaming sites is kind off stupid.

#23 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

I hope no one was forced to leave. And I hope everyone is still friends, I know that being friendly with your boss is a hard thing to do.

I hope Dave left because he wanted to do what he wanted to do, make cool websites, from scratch, in a garage. and not what CBS had him doing, PR and working on parts of websites that they could implement on all of the CBS websites.

I also hope Patrick is one of the first of a new type of Content provider for Giant Bomb, perhaps a Guest/Off SIte person. I realize Alex is there too. But I think Patrick doesn't mind being on camera unedited. I love Alex when he is candid, and doesn't give a shit about the camera. But when he starts thinking about the camera, it traps him, One of the reason why Alex's Podcasts are always great.

I always thought it would be cool to do a feature where You could implement the spacial distance into a game video. Such as the Daly DOTA kinda dose.

Such as that one time where Jeff and Brad played Too Human and couldnt voice chat, and tryed to use emotes and Tea Bagging to communicate.

#24 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

@ramone said:

Oh man what? Lemon was my favorite of the interns! Things have really have changed since the QotW days :(

Wait wha. Is this for reals... And Dave?!

#25 Posted by BisonHero (6494 posts) -

@niamahai said:

@deathstriker666 said:

@ramone said:

Wait wha. Is this for reals... And Dave?!

The bullet point right above that was:

"-Kessler and his fellow interns are locked in Brad's basement being forced to farm DOTA items on his behalf."

So yes, they're all for real. Someone needs to call the cops on Brad, and charge him with unlawful confinement.

#26 Posted by Rafaelfc (1344 posts) -

However, Alex and Rorie are reunited, and it feels so good.