#1 Posted by Gauzy (39 posts) -

Like the title suggests. As far as setting, more or less any scifi/alternate reality. As far as gameplay, a Diablo-esque clickfest would be fine, but also stuff along the lines of Dragon Age 1, Witcher series, Kingdoms of Amalur, Mass Effect, Deus Ex. I find that most games like this have fantasy backgrounds, which is fine, but I wanna allocate points into Laser mastery and spec my jetpack trooper into Afterburners. I played through Mars: War Logs and that scratched the itch for a bit. Steam/PC preferred. Any recommendations?

#2 Posted by TheCitizenKaneOfThings (28 posts) -

Star Ocean: The Last Hope has a really good combat system that's a ton of fun to play, but the story and voice acting are really REALLY terrible.

#3 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

Have you played the fallout games? (Probably a dumb question)

#4 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

Seconded on Star Ocean. Try the Last Hope... mute the cut-scenes.

#5 Posted by Gauzy (39 posts) -

@slaps2 said:

yeah, i have. i'm looking for something a bit less story heavy, more straightforward, but that's definitely the right genre/setting.

i checked out star ocean - looks like it's 360 only?

#6 Posted by Sbaitso (498 posts) -

Well, Transistor is coming out in a little over a week, and is supposed to have some action RPG trappings, so maybe keep an eye on that.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -
  • System Shock 2
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • Anachronox
  • Septerra Core
  • Hard Reset - it's up to you to decide if this is RPG enough for you, but you can certainly do a lot of upgrading of crazy futuristic weapons.

If you want a "Diablo-esque clickfest", then you could play Krater. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it though, I definitely enjoyed it, but it can get tedious and repetitive.

#8 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

Seconded on Star Ocean. Try the Last Hope... mute the cut-scenes.

@gauzy said:

@slaps2 said:

yeah, i have. i'm looking for something a bit less story heavy, more straightforward, but that's definitely the right genre/setting.

i checked out star ocean - looks like it's 360 only?

ps3 as well, I believe. Also check out E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. There is a quick look of it.

#9 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

Anachronox? Came out around the same time as Deus Ex 1, was designed by Tom Hall and is available on Steam and GOG.

As for pure action RPG's, Space Siege is pretty much Dungeon Siege in space. It wasn't very well received though, primarily because it had some horrible camera issues, you'll probably do best waiting for it to appear on some Steam sale, $14.99 is a bit steep for what it is.

I'd also recommend Shadowrun Returns, especially it's DLC Dragonfall, though it's turn based, not a straight up action game.

If you can take some weirdness, I'd probably recommend E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy. It's a first person RPG, pretty Deus Ex inspired, though obviously made with a modest budget, with a pretty poor translation from French.

#10 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

• System Shock 2
  • Knights of the Old Republic
  • Anachronox
  • Septerra Core
  • Hard Reset - it's up to you to decide if this is RPG enough for you, but you can certainly do a lot of upgrading of crazy futuristic weapons.

If you want a "Diablo-esque clickfest", then you could play Krater. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it though, I definitely enjoyed it, but it can get tedious and repetitive.

Ah, yeah, Krater. It got quite a bit better after the patches. I still don't like it's humor, but the soundtrack is goddamn amazing.

#11 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5212 posts) -

First thing that comes to mind is Xcom Enemy Unknown.

#12 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

I just started playing Anachronox... it has really not aged well... like at all.

#13 Edited by falserelic (5312 posts) -

Play Warframe its free.

The devs released a new update to ps4. They added in the KATANA! Its clean and kills so smoothly, and I'm digging the new melee system. Also I've been playing as the hydroid warframe on the new maps.

He is one of my fav Warframes. He calls upon the depths and unleashes his water sperm frenzy.

#14 Edited by Cerberus3Dog (325 posts) -

Have you played Kotor? Definitely story heavy, but seems to match what you described but with more lightsabers and less jetpacks. I would recommend Deus Ex: HR (not sure if this is the one you were referencing), definitely has a lot of point allocation. For a Diablo fix, I'd recommend Marvel Heroes (it's free-to-play so that's cool). For a great action rpg, light on the story, Dragon's Dogma is cool. Not available on PC though.

I've been playing SW:TOR as well. It's an mmo but you can be a trooper/scoundrel that uses laser rifles you can level up? Also free-to-play

#15 Edited by Gauzy (39 posts) -

thanks for the suggestions, all. E.Y.E. looks...interesting - i'll check out the QL.

krater was fun, really neat setting but yeah, it does get pretty repetitive.

shadowrun is another good example of the setting, i enjoyed that.

hard reset was fun if a little bland.

space siege is the one game that always comes up in this sort of discussion, i kind of wish there were more like it.

what i'd love is a game like the first dragon age. assemble your party, go visit new places, make friends, influence people. you know, just with kinetic shields instead of bucklers and plasma rifles and railguns instead of crossbows.

edit: played borderlands 1&2, looking forward to the presequel.

#16 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

First thing that comes to mind is Xcom Enemy Unknown.

This is also a good choice. It might not seem like the biggest RPG and it's not actiony in any way, but every choice you make changes things a lot, the sci-fi elements are surprisingly good, and it might just be the best strategy game of all time.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

@fisk0: During the tedious parts, I would have listened to podcasts if it wasn't for the music. Also, the intro music is really wonderful:

#18 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

@falserelic: Is this game any less disgustingly grindy??

#20 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

@gauzy: If you want Dragon Age in space, go buy Kotor right now. That's your game.

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11689 posts) -

>_< Oops, how did I forget Borderlands. Anyway, if you want something rougelikeish, then go for Sword of the Stars: The Pit.

#22 Posted by Devil240Z (3261 posts) -

Play Warframe its free.

The devs released a new update to ps4. They added in the KATANA! Its clean and kills so smoothly, and I'm digging the new melee system. Also I've been playing as the hydroid warframe on the new maps.

He is one of my fav Warframes. He calls upon the depths and unleashes his water sperm frenzy.

I like warframe its just so god damned grindy. Granted I haven't put any money into it. but I'm basically stuck on the second planet until I can grind to like level 10. plus the starter frame sucks with its 30 mod cap.

#23 Posted by TheCitizenKaneOfThings (28 posts) -

Yeah just go buy KOTOR I+II and you'll have a blast.

#24 Edited by Gauzy (39 posts) -

I own the kotors, but never finished them. most of the other stuff mentioned i either already have (xcom) or aren't my cup of tea (warframe).

will start redownloading kotor now:) star wars isn't bad, a little more hardfi would be nice, but i'm a fan just the same.

#25 Posted by DeadpanCakes (790 posts) -
@slaps2 said:

I just started playing Anachronox... it has really not aged well... like at all.

Yeah... I tried Anachronox like, a year or two ago and I'd hafta agree.

I agree with everyone saying KOTOR.

#26 Posted by Gauzy (39 posts) -

should i play the KOTOR games in order? any 'must have' mods or stuff like that?

EDIT: thought I had KOTOR - apparently not:( they're cheap though, but for the same price i might just wait for transistor.

#27 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

@gauzy: Don't mod games! Play it like the artist intended. George Lucas modded the original trilogy... do you think that was a good idea?

#28 Edited by falserelic (5312 posts) -

@viciousbearmauling said:

@falserelic: Is this game any less disgustingly grindy??

No...you still got to put in work. Though with the new update, If you play the game only using your melee weapon in a match. You can level up your character and melee weapon faster.

@devil240z said:

@falserelic said:

Play Warframe its free.

I like warframe its just so god damned grindy. Granted I haven't put any money into it. but I'm basically stuck on the second planet until I can grind to like level 10. plus the starter frame sucks with its 30 mod cap.

With the right mods all the warframes can be useful, and you also have to upgrade the mod itself to make it more effective. Once you've fully get to the highest rank with your Warframe. You can use something called a Forma which will reset your Warframe, but it will allow you to add more energy to your Warframe mods and make you stronger.

#29 Posted by Gauzy (39 posts) -

@slaps2 said:

@gauzy: Don't mod games! Play it like the artist intended. George Lucas modded the original trilogy... do you think that was a good idea?

oh i meant stuff like DSFix for Dark Souls or any widescreen patches, not 'give me lightsaber of +9999 sith slaying'. that sort of thing.

#30 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

@gauzy: No way, man. No mods period. Don't change a texture, and leave every one of the game's flaws intact. It's art, my friend... art. You don't paint teeth on the Mona Lisa.

#31 Posted by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@slaps2 said:

@gauzy: No way, man. No mods period. Don't change a texture, and leave every one of the game's flaws intact. It's art, my friend... art. You don't paint teeth on the Mona Lisa.

I for one think the mod community have done some fantastic stuff with outdated paintings:

http://abcnews.go.com/images/News/ht_spanish_painting_jesus_badly_restored_thg_120822_wblog.jpg

#32 Posted by Gauzy (39 posts) -

@slaps2 said:

eh. dark souls without DSfix was a much messier experience. i have no issue modding games for stuff like that. pcgamingwiki lists a decent looking widescreen fix, so that should do the trick.

#33 Posted by ThunderSlash (1544 posts) -

Rogue Galaxy was a pretty fun Sci Fi Action RPG. It's on the PS2 though.

#34 Edited by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

@fisk0: Yes, but in experiencing that painting for the first time, you want to play it without installing mods... also what platform is that painting on... looks retro.

#35 Posted by Hayt (255 posts) -

System Shock 2. I played it for the first time last year (shameful for someone that considers Deus Ex their favourite game of all time) and holy shit is it good. Take 2 minutes to set the controls to something more modern (WASD is not the default) and then enjoy pure sci-fi sex.

#36 Edited by nasp (194 posts) -

rogue galaxy is one of my fave games ever,and it fits what you want.so thats what i would recommend.

#37 Edited by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

@slaps2 said:

Funny you mention that, since there is a big effort in restoring Mona Lisa. I say go ahead and mod at least KotOR 2! That game is well known for admittedly (by Obsidian) being rushed into release, and the fan patches have been well praised by some of the developers themselves.

#38 Posted by McBEEF (360 posts) -

If you are going to play KOTOR 2 it is essential that you use the 'Restored Content Mod' which adds in the missions that were cut (including a HK-47 focused mission), and adds a lot of dialogue etc that makes the story flow better.

Now that you mention it, I'm struggling to think of good sci-fi rpgs myself, excluding the big titles.

#39 Posted by Veektarius (4584 posts) -

Dawn of War 2.