• 52 results
#1 Edited by mordukai (7179 posts) -

So I got Limbo, and Rayman Origins and I already played Braid back when it came out and I had a horrible time with Trine on the PS3 (mainly because of a bug that made the game virtually unplayable for me) so I am not getting Trine 2 until it hits the $5 mark. Besides those games are there any 2D side scrollers that are on the same level? I really don't care if they are a puzzle platformer or a shooter as long as they are fun and polished.

Thanks.

#2 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -
#3 Posted by ahgunsillyo (458 posts) -

Cave Story+ is also rather good.

#4 Posted by crusader8463 (14426 posts) -

Only ones I can think of are the old Oddworld games, and Terraria might fill that void for ya. It's top down and not side scrolling, but Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale has a 2D dungeon crawler portion to it that may do something for ya. Steam just uploaded a shit ton of old Sega Genesis games that you may want to take a look at. I was never a Sega kid so I can't comment on the quality of them, but there are a ton of them.

#5 Posted by Welding (145 posts) -

I'm really enjoying Noitu Love 2 Devolution (dumb name, I know). If retro Metal Slug-ish games with a unique control scheme are your thing. It's on steam.

#6 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -

@TripleBeat: Boy that's a mouthful. lol

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I Wanna Be The Guy.

#8 Posted by ichthy (572 posts) -

Abuse. Yeah that's right I'm calling back to a game from 1996.

#9 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Mount & Blade: Warband

#10 Edited by RVonE (4683 posts) -

VVVVVV

EDIT: on second thought, that game isn't exactly a side scroller, is it?

EDIT 2: Bit.Trip Runner is pretty good.

#11 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I Wanna Be The Guy.

*Watching gameplay footage*...Ok, WTF did I just witnessed?

#12 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Despite its irrelevance, I'll have to recommend this one as well.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mordukai:

Your destiny.

#14 Posted by Vextroid (1425 posts) -

Cave Story + is pretty good, as is VVVVVV and the Bit.Trip.Runner as mentioned by .

The Shank games are pretty neat too. Played a bit of the first one and really enjoyed what I played of it.

If you want some really old stuff the Commander Keen pack off Steam ain't to shabby.

#15 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@mordukai:

Your destiny.

I think I need to buy a second keyboard because it looks to be a rage inducing game.

@mandude said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Despite its irrelevance, I'll have to recommend this one as well.

That's cool. I also like tacos in the morning.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mordukai:

It is.

#17 Posted by stubbleman (306 posts) -

Iji.

#18 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

You wanna be the guy.

#19 Posted by TobbRobb (4814 posts) -

For straight up Sidescrollers, I'd say Super Meat Boy and uh, Super Meat Boy.

For fucking AWESOME free roaming sidescrollers, I'd grab an emulator or two and play games like Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night, Cave Story is pretty awesome as well, and has a legit PC release.

#20 Posted by theodacourt (546 posts) -

Rochard is pretty awesome and that's on steam. More of a puzzler than platformer, but recommended.

#21 Posted by mordukai (7179 posts) -

@VinceNotVance: I bought Trine when it came out on PS3. All was fine, I was having a good time until this bug started where every time I would levitate an object, said object would just start spinning with no control over it. The game then became unplayable to me. So I won't even bother with Trine 2 until it gets on steam sale.

#22 Posted by BeachThunder (12276 posts) -
  • VVVVVV is a lot of fun and has a wonderful soundtrack.
  • The first 2 Oddworlds are crazy (in a good way). Both of them are up there with some of my favourite games ever.
  • Eversion; it's not amazing, but I really loved the way the game progressed.
  • Capsized; Definitely worth checking out for the lovely atmosphere alone.
#23 Posted by ADAMWD (613 posts) -

Dustforce, one of the best games this year.

#24 Edited by Sanity (1950 posts) -

Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2 were great back in the day if you can find them somewhere and get it them to run.

#25 Posted by SpaceRunaway (870 posts) -

I am currently enjoying A Valley Without Wind. There is a free demo if you'd like to give it a try.

#26 Posted by Vextroid (1425 posts) -

Forgot to mention earlier but 1000Amps is pretty damn good it's more puzzle-y then platformy but it's pretty nifty ( for a flash game) and its $5.

#27 Posted by iBePeRFeCT (396 posts) -

Not exactly sure if it is the type of game you're exactly looking for, but Lone Survivor recently released on Steam and I think it is pretty great.

#28 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

Rochard is a fun one. A little more puzzle-like than platforming though.

#29 Posted by JP_Russell (1173 posts) -

A bunch of old ones off the top of my head:

Abuse

Bio Menace

Commander Keen 4-6 & Keen Dreams (1-3 aren't very good, IMO)

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

Crystal Caves

Duke Nukem

Duke Nukem 2

Heartlight

Jazz Jackrabbit

Major Stryker

Megaman X

Monster Bash

Secret Agent

Tyrian 2000

Xargon

There are probably a bunch more I'm forgetting. As for newer games, others have already covered most of the ones I can think of, but there's also The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, Eets, NyxQuest, Toki Tori, Aquaria, And Yet It Moves, Bob Came in Pieces, Space Pirates and Zombies, Trials 2...

#30 Posted by bellmont42 (325 posts) -

I'm going to recommend one of my old favorites ... Zeliard

#31 Posted by DeF (4955 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

For fucking AWESOME free roaming sidescrollers, I'd grab an emulator or two and play games like Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night,

I'm not really sure advising people to illegally pirate games is the smartest idea...

#32 Posted by BeachThunder (12276 posts) -
#33 Posted by TobbRobb (4814 posts) -

@DeF: Where did I say pirate? Buy the games and keep the cartridge/cd in your closet if you want to. Playing with an emulator is just easier and more comfortable. Especially since he specifically asked for PC games.

#34 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

CAVE STORY.

It is the ultimate PC side scroller.

#35 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4847 posts) -

Cave Story+

Also Sideway, Blocks That Matter, and Nightsky are great.

#36 Posted by Icemael (6354 posts) -
@TobbRobb said:

For fucking AWESOME free roaming sidescrollers, I'd grab an emulator or two

This. If you want to play side-scrollers on a PC, emulators are definitely the way to go. Shatterhand, Hagane: The Final Conflict, Metal Slug, In the Hunt, Mr. Heli no Daiboken, Magical Pop'n, Rastan Saga... there are more quality side-scrollers for old systems than you can shake a stick at.
#37 Posted by DeF (4955 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@DeF: Where did I say pirate? Buy the games and keep the cartridge/cd in your closet if you want to. Playing with an emulator is just easier and more comfortable. Especially since he specifically asked for PC games.

well, it's heavily implied and technically illegal no matter how you slice it (unless you manually get the ROM from your own cartridge, as far as I know) so while everyone kinda does it, I don't think it's considered "okay" to give that kind of advice here when asked for gaming recommendation.

#38 Posted by TobbRobb (4814 posts) -

@DeF: It's really subjective about older "hard to get"games, but I'll try and refrain from insinuating illegal actions in the future. At least on these boards.

Still there are a lot of old gems to miss out on without piracy. :P

#39 Posted by mosdl (3242 posts) -

Trine/Trine 2 are lots of fun. I wish Shadow Complex would get ported one day...

#40 Posted by DeF (4955 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@DeF: It's really subjective about older "hard to get"games, but I'll try and refrain from insinuating illegal actions in the future. At least on these boards.

Still there are a lot of old gems to miss out on without piracy. :P

I know ... *cough* I know ... :)

just don't advertise it^^ that's all I wanted to say with that ;)

#41 Posted by Echofoxz (98 posts) -

I don't think anyone else has mentioned this, but Capsized is pretty good. Awesome art and music, the combat and platforming are just as good, tons of replayability, and it's $10 on Steam.

#42 Posted by JP_Russell (1173 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@JP_Russell said:

Xargon.

How'd I know you'd say that :o

No Jill of the Jungle though?

You obviously have powers of divination.

Anyway, I don't think JotJ is particularly good. Probably the biggest problem I have with it is that there's no consequence for dying (so there is essentially no failure), but even that aside, I just think it's a little on the boring side. It's worth a mention, though, if only because of its music and neat things like the transforming mechanic that later showed up in Xargon.

#43 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

Super Meat Boy is amazing. The controls feel so great that the basic running and jumping itself is fun.

#44 Posted by AlexW00d (6382 posts) -

SMB and VVVVV.

#45 Posted by ch3burashka (5175 posts) -

If you want a side-scrolling brawler, Little Fighter 2 is a good way to go. Played it way back, good times.

http://lf2.net/

Now that I think about it, it'd be a real cool addition to XBLA/PSN.

#47 Posted by Saprokirani (1 posts) -

Rogue Legacy has proven to be pretty fun.

#48 Posted by GreggD (4510 posts) -

A bunch of old ones off the top of my head:

Abuse

Bio Menace

Commander Keen 4-6 & Keen Dreams (1-3 aren't very good, IMO)

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure

Crystal Caves

Duke Nukem

Duke Nukem 2

Heartlight

Jazz Jackrabbit

Major Stryker

Megaman X

Monster Bash

Secret Agent

Tyrian 2000

Xargon

There are probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.

Indeed, Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage.

#49 Posted by living4theday258 (680 posts) -
#50 Edited by believer258 (12082 posts) -

SNES and GBA emulators should be chock full of those.

But if you're looking for sidescrollers that run natively on the PC, then there's

• Super Meat Boy - An incredibly difficult 2D platformer bared down to the basics of jumping and running.
  • Intrusion 2 - An indie side scrolling shooter that reminds me of SNES games.
  • Dust: An Elysian Tale - A Metroidvania-ish game with combat like a sort of Devil May Cry/ beat 'em up hybrid.
  • Terraria - 2D Minecraft. Well, OK, there's more to it than that but that phrase is a pretty adequate introduction to the game. Minecraft is more of a creativity tool, where this edges on being more of a game. It's got more of a focus on bosses and weapons and action than MC does.