Looking for a new PC headset... Opinions?

TheJazzProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheJazzProphet

I'm looking to buy a new gaming headset for PC. My price range is around $100 dollars, but I could go higher if I'm really sold on a product. To give you an idea, I'm currently considering the Tritton PC510, the Razer Carcharias, or maybe the Logitech G930. I don't have a whole lot of knowledge as far as gaming headsets go, so I'm hoping someone can set me in the right direction.

TheJazzProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheJazzProphet

Also, there's a Razer Megalodon on my local craigslist for $100, and it appears to be in great condition. Should I go for that?

DeadVillager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeadVillager

I really like the Antlion Modmic. You'll have to buy a pair of headphones separately, but the microphone's quality is really awesome.

http://www.modmic.com/

You might have to look around for their original model, looks like they're rolling out a new one soon and aren't selling the old one on the site anymore.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

@DonNoFace: That's awesome, I've looked for something like that but have never found one. It sounds like they are addressing problems with the first in the 2.0 version (based on the review I read). I'm so happy you posted this!

TheJazzProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheJazzProphet

Whoa, that thing looks really cool. It's too bad the mic isn't the problem with my current headset, or I would totally buy that thing.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@TheJazzProphet: The Razer is the only one I'd suggest, that or a pair of A40s or something. Or you could get a nice pair of Sennheiser cans and the Modmic, which is the way I'd suggest, as you'd probably get a better pair of headphones AND a better mic that way.

TheJazzProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheJazzProphet

Do you think I should get the used Megalodon or just get a new Carcharias?

contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By contagious

@TheJazzProphet: I have owned two Carcharias, both have died in one of the ears within a year. I would not recommend buying a Carcharias, I have also seen friends Razer headsets stop working as intended (the wireless surround sound one wireless capabilities stop working causing them to have it plugged in all the time).

I use razer mice/keyboard and think they are great, but would never use their headsets again.

TheJazzProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheJazzProphet

@MordeaniisChaos: So is there any difference between the Tritton A40 and PC510 besides the compatibility and number of speakers?

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By banishedsoul1
Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Xeirus

@DonNoFace said:

I really like the Antlion Modmic. You'll have to buy a pair of headphones separately, but the microphone's quality is really awesome.

http://www.modmic.com/

You might have to look around for their original model, looks like they're rolling out a new one soon and aren't selling the old one on the site anymore.

That looks slick

TheJazzProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheJazzProphet

I hate to sound like a dumb, but I'd like to direct the discussion of this thread back to the topic of headsets, as that's what I'm looking to buy. Unless you can point me toward a set of headphones that are around my price range with the cost of the mic included, I'm more interested in headsets.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By vonFlampanker

I've got the G930s.

Pros:

• Sound quality is good. Handy switch to toggle "surround" sound.
  • Well built, isolates you from outside noise very well
  • Wireless is nice (see below)
  • Definitely comfortable for long stretches of play

Cons:

• I'm a little let down by the mic broadcast quality when I've heard my voice through the mic played back. Could just be that I hate hearing my voice recorded, though.
  • Battery for wireless isn't nearly as long as I'd like. I play with the charge cable in about half the time.
  • I didn't find the buttons on the side all that handy.
  • Weird software issue with the sidetone (hearing my mic through the headset) not kicking in until I manually move the slider every time. An issue since otherwise you don't hear your own voice and it's hard to tell if you're talking too loud.
  • I don't care for the "hold down for x seconds to turn on/off" type switches on it

Overall, I've got little regret and will be keeping them. If you don't absolutely have to do wireless you could probably get something just as good for less money.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By stonyman65
artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By artelinarose

I have a pair of Sennheiser PC151's that I have owned for about two years now. GREAT headset for $60. Best sound quality I've gotten out this price range, though I just got a sound card so I think it's time to upgrade. But Sennheiser has outdone every other headset I've owned in the last decade with one model so I recommend them.

TheJazzProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheJazzProphet

Anyone else want to share their two cents worth? Right now I'm considering the Razer Carcharias, the SteelSeries Siberia v2, the Tritton PC510, and maybe the Logitech G930. One thing I guess I forgot to mention is that circumaural is a must. I've always had problems with supra-aural headphones sliding off the front of my face or just not sitting on my head well.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Dagbiker

@TheJazzProphet said:

Also, there's a Razer Megalodon on my local craigslist for $100, and it appears to be in great condition. Should I go for that?

I don't know about second hand Headsets, sound kinda iffy. All that head grease.