Looking for a small stereo/sound system for my PC

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Justin258

...and I don't really know where to start.

Basically, I'm looking for a small stereo system that I can fit on my desk. I have a pair of pretty cheap speakers plugged in right now. These, to be exact.

I'm looking for a two-speaker setup, maybe two speakers and a subwoofer and a small receiver. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I'm an audiophile, but I am fairly discerning in how good sound quality is. I'm also not going to be playing music or movies or whatever at really high volumes as, for the most part, I'll be sitting right in front of these speakers. But I'm tired of using headphones all the time just because they're the only thing I've got that sounds any good.

Does anyone have any suggestions? $200 USD is sort of a "soft limit" on what I can spend - I'd rather not go above that but I will if I can get some exceptionally good speakers for the price range. I'll take a picture of my desk and post it here if someone needs any idea of how much space I have to work with, just as soon as I clean it off.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I've got a pair of M Audio Studiophile AV40s on my desk and think they're great. $149 on Amazon but they're not the smallest things in the world.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I own some M Audio AV40 monitors as well, and they're pretty good for music stuff. I used them on the PC for a few weeks, but quickly moved them over to one of my keyboard stations.

They were great for music, when positioned right. But, I found I wanted a bit more punch from my games. I also tend to play games with the music off, as I often find myself attempting to analyze the score.

So, I went out and snagged some Klipsch 2.1's. I owned the 5.1's back in the day and enjoyed them, even though the amps died if you looked at it funny. Unlike the 5.1's, the 2.1 I have is rock solid.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-PROMEDIA21-Pro-Media-2-1/dp/B0030ZLZ5G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425911760&sr=8-2&keywords=klipsch+2.1

The speakers have a smaller footprint than the M Audio's, if that matters.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mellotronrules

if you you have a simple setup, i would go for the most expensive powered speakers you can afford- something akin to active monitors. i've heard good things about m-audio's offerings, and many reviews praise these (do a google or amazon for reviews)-

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

really, you only need a receiver if you plan on having multiple sources and/or some higher end speakers- such as a blueray player, turntable, cd player, etc.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: @dave_tacitus:

Ah, thanks! Yeah, that's pretty much the sort of thing that I'm looking for. Those Klipsch speakers are available at my local Best Buy so I might get those - the M40's aren't available anywhere around me. Could order from Amazon, but I'm impatient and it seems like the Klipsch speakers are about as good as the M40's anyway.

if you you have a simple setup, i would go for the most expensive powered speakers you can afford- something akin to active monitors. i've heard good things about m-audio's offerings, and many reviews praising these (do a google for reviews)-

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Powered-Speaker-Systems/A2-plus-B-Powered-Desktop-Speakers

really, you only need a receiver if you plan on having multiple sources and/or some higher end speakers- such as a blueray player, turntable, cd player, etc.

I might spring for these, however, although $100 more is quite a bit.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You might want to look at the Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II. They're well within your price range, and are probably among the best sounding and most accurate speakers under $200. The only drawback is that they don't go quite as loud as similar speakers, but it sounds like that wouldn't be an issue for you.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@zelyre: Yeah, monitors have different characteristics to traditional desktop speakers which might be offputting for some. I come from a music background so have always liked the crispness, especially when compared to my last speakers which were a cheap pair of Creatives.

It was a toss up between the AV40s and a pair of Bose Companion 2s. For me, I think I made the right choice because I listen to a lot of music on them.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have Bose Companion 20 speakers that I'd strongly recommend, but I believe they cost like $250.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheap studio monitors if you want quality. If EDIROL/CakeWalk MA-15D or the likes are still available, go for it. Analogue and digital inputs combined, dual volume controls, two knobs of EQ, headphone plug on front, top notch clean audio that isn't too much or too little along with the option for a subwoofer.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I have AV40s and they are very good, but I've recently moved my PC to the livingroom and I prefer to use my home theater system now.

It's not going to fit on your desk, but it's something you can upgrade over time and eventually turn into a home theater system.

I don't have either of these, but they are good brands and fit in your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR313-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V8930/ref=sr_1_3?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1425917753&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-4-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1425917832&sr=1-1&keywords=Bookshelf+Speakers

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have Bose Companion 20 speakers that I'd strongly recommend, but I believe they cost like $250.

I have that exact same speaker system. I absolutely second that recommendation. They sound great.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Pe4chy_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard bose sound systems are of great quality but that you can find similar products for a greater price... ?!

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using a pretty decent sounding 2.1 Logitech system for the last decade or so that I've been quite happy with and if I were to need a new system today I would check out their offerings first. Just my opinion though but their current 2.1 systems look pretty decent for the price.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Justin258

@blupotato said:

I've been using a pretty decent sounding 2.1 Logitech system for the last decade or so that I've been quite happy with and if I were to need a new system today I would check out their offerings first. Just my opinion though but their current 2.1 systems look pretty decent for the price.

I actually found a 5.1 set of Logitech speakers on sale at Best Buy for $70. Normally I would have looked at that price tag and raised an eyebrow, but they had one on display and it sounded really good for that price range so that's what I wound up buying. None of the speakers are particularly big, it sounds pretty good, and it does everything I needed it to. I've never actually had a surround system plugged up properly, and it's pretty great to have one. Did have to move some stuff around to have enough space on my desk for five speakers and a subwoofer, even if they are small, but it's working thus far.

And I also have a lot more spending money than I expected sitting here, waiting for me to blow it on something.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Meh, you're on the internet...so look up the best PC speakers for the money you are willing to spend. (That is what 99.789% of people responding to you are going....because they have realized they have access to the Internet.) Once you have a list of two or three come here and ask if people have them.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nivi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3