• 50 results
#1 Edited by Revolutia (27 posts) -

Hey, so I do want to pick up some fighting game, but I have no idea which is good for beginners. I have tried Injustice demo and it was really good, but I also tried Tekken no idea what kind of Tekken and it was kinda good too. Are there any recommendations? MK, Injustice, Tekken? I would like a game that would "teach" me how to play it. I have heard that some games are really bad when it comes to "teaching" how to play the game.

Thanks

#2 Edited by gkhan (413 posts) -

I've basically never played fighting games, but I watched that Mortal Kombat Scrub League they did a few years ago, and was inspired to pick MK up. Even though I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning, it was still really fun and totally worked.

So get the latest Mortal Kombat, you can absolutely play it as a newbie.

#3 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Maybe look at some of the Arc System Works fighting games (Persona 4 or Blazblu Continuum Shift Extend). The tutorial portions are remarkably complete in terms of covering movement and moves. Although I could also see going Super Street Fighter IV - it i still the most relevant franchise, and the input requirements and move list is relatively easy to get into.

If you are interested in learning, youtube is a very substantial resource for the more popular games - though maybe something like MK or Injustice would also have solid resources (My personal experience with the newest MK was that my hand-speed was to slow to actually execute even 2-hit combos, but if your already really good at playing videogames that probably is not an issue. For context, I'm awful at videogames to an extent that I now know to look up and find games that are considered easy to the point for being flawed if the experience will be anything but me dying 20+ times per a 30min segment in all genres.....).

#4 Posted by Stonyman65 (2570 posts) -

Get the latest Mortal Kombat and pick up the strategy guide for it too. That will teach you pretty much every move in the game. After that it's just figuring out the timing and when to use it.

#5 Posted by neato (76 posts) -

If you liked the Injustice demo, get that. It is pretty popular at the moment, so there will be lots of resources at your disposal. It is also a lot easier execution wise compared to your Guilty Gears, Street Fighters, MvCs, etc.

#6 Posted by sku (37 posts) -

Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition's trial mode helps to teach you moves, cancelling, juggling and other stuff like that in a hands-on kind of way--the game doesn't have a literal tutorial per se, but the trials help to teach you concepts at the very least. I haven't played MK9 yet, but based on what people are saying here I might get into it pretty easily.

#7 Posted by Revolutia (27 posts) -

I would probably go with Injustice because it is newer and I would imagine more people are playing it than MK 9.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

SSFIV AE is basically the best game to start with. At its core, it's quite simple, you will pick up the fundamentals there.

You can start easier and go with MK or Injustice but once you get comfortable with AE trying other fighters might seem a bit easier, instead of jumping from MK to SFIV. (MK is extremely simple combo and execution wise in comparison)

Marvel is...well Marvel is great fun and you can quickly jump in, but trying to learn 3 characters at once is very demanding, at least I felt that way initially. Start small before moving onto the tag games. I found Tekken Tag 2 a nightmare at first because of the insane amount of moves each character has, learning 2 of them is like learning a freaking language.

edit: AE has a strong amount of players still playing (quite good on PC, lots on 360) but be warned, you will likely face pretty adept players, although rest assured you'll still meet some pretty awful ones. (I am baffled by some of the stuff people try online sometimes!)

#9 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

I would like a game that would "teach" me how to play it.

No fighting game like that exists.

#10 Edited by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

I´ll say get SFIV .... once you learn a street fighter game you pretty much learned the basics to all fighting games (MK included). Why not to go to an MK? Because commands are done by tapping instead of the continous flow that 90% of fighting games have. Also dont worry about high play , thats stuff comes after endless hours of practice , what you need to learn is what does what , see the move , what it does , where it hits etc. then apply that knowledge to a fight... oh yeah this is another 101 tip..... downward blocking DOES NOT block air attacks.

#11 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

Mortal Kombat and Injustice are very beginner friendly, inasmuch as special move execution isn't all that difficult and you can sort of mash out damaging combos without a ton of finesse. That's not to say that either of those games are shallow, but they are more beginner friendly than pretty much any Japanese fighter.

@egg said:

@revolutia said:

I would like a game that would "teach" me how to play it.

He's right. The only true way to get over that initial hump so you can enjoy fighting games is through practice and looking up stuff on the internet. A local friend to play and learn with doesn't hurt either.

#12 Edited by joshwent (2051 posts) -

@revolutia: I was like you, interested in fighters but never really got into one. Well, I got MK on PC like last week, having tons of fun and I feel like I'm already not too bad!

It has a decent tutorial that covers the basics, but it doesn't teach you everything. Like others have said though, YouTube and specific MK blogs abound with info, so it's just a matter of finding some characters you like, or you feel you could be good with, and going to the internet to learn more.

What MK does have that other fighters I've tried don't (looking at you SFIV) is a ton of offline stuff to do. The story mode is wonderful and gives you a taste of tons of characters. And then there's the Challenge Tower. It's a bunch of one off fights (or maybe "activities" is a better way of looking at it) that have you focusing one one aspect of the game at a time. Blocking, dodging, only using supers, taking down a wave of opponents using projectiles, etc. It's a blast, offers some great diversity from just "Ready... FIGHT"ing over and over again, and it actually taught me a ton about the game.

Check out the MK QUICK LOOK, Jeff's Review, or the awesome "Scrub League" Tournament (co hosted by Ryan, hilarious as ever!) that they did a few years back for more.

The best advice I can give you, aside from that I'm really digging MK as a beginner, is to find a fighter that you just like the tone/setting/style of in general. You're gonna be spending many an hour mashing buttons looking at the same stuff, so the appeal of the experience as a whole is really important. I love the over-the-top gore and ridiculousness of MK, but if you're really into something else like Marvel characters or fighting pandas, then just go for those games. The internet'll teach you the rest.

Good Luck!

#13 Edited by Revolutia (27 posts) -

Street Fighter IV looks like fun, the only problem I have is that I do not know any of the characters really, so I am not sure if I would have fun with that. I am not a lore geek or anything, but I am kinda put off by just not knowing anything about the "universe". But again, it does not really matter, right.

I would also like to ask what is the difference between the versions of Street Fighter. There is this arcade edition, not arcade there is also Super Street Fighter. Which one should I pick up if I decide to go with SF? Could anyone help me out? Thanks

#14 Posted by neato (76 posts) -

You'd want Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. The new iterations add characters and balance changes mostly.

I still think Injustice would be better to start out on. You're going to learn fighting game fundamentals from any fighting game, so you aren't going to be screwing yourself by playing one game first. Injustice just has a way lower execution barrier, so you can emphasize on playing the actual match instead of trying to get yours moves to come out. If you don't have a fight stick, the motions for Injustice special attacks are much more controller friendly.

I watched my brother, with no fighting game experience, try out both Injustice and SSF4 the other day. I was surprised how quick he was able to do combos (albeit simple ones) in Injustice. In SSF4, he couldn't link normals or do the shoryuken motion. I started out on SF4 years ago, and the change to Injustice was jarring. It took a while to understand what the game wanted me to do, but for my brother it was pretty easy. All fighting games have different combo systems and feel, so you won't be gimping yourself by not playing SSF4 first. The only current game SSF4 feels similar to combo-wise is SFxT, really.

As long as you don't start out on UMvC3, you're going to be fine.

#15 Posted by FauxBen (22 posts) -

The nice thing about MK9 especially is that it actually has a pretty in depth single player mode for a fighting game and gives you a lot of chances to get a feel for each character and try everyone out. I'm a fan of fighting games but I rarely get particularly good at them or knowledgeable about them, so I tend towards Mortal Kombat/Injustice style games because they allow me to be a total moron and still have some measure of success, whereas things like Tekken/Street Fighter/MvC tend to be more punishing in that regard and heavily skill oriented. My formative fighting game would've been UMK3 on the SNES, so I guess that's sort of responsible for how I approach these.

Soul Calibur I think tends to be pretty good at easing you into things too, and has fun stuff like deepish create a fighter modes and RPG elements that can make playing alone and learning on your own time fun as well. Soul Calibur IV is the last one I played, and I imagine it's pretty cheap now. I imagine V probably improved on some things, but I can't speak from experience on that one.

Of course, there's always STAR WARS: MASTERS OF THE TERAS KASI if you want to take a trip through time to a simpler, more terrible age.

#16 Edited by Petiew (1322 posts) -

@egg said:

Lots of fighting games are including comprehensive tutorials now. Blazblue has mini tutorials for every character telling you how they're meant to be played, while Skullgirls had pretty indepth tutorials on things like hitconfirming, throw teching, mixups, etc. Other games like KOF XIII, SFxT and P4A explain all of the basic mechanics and include trial and challenge modes so you can work out how to string together your own combos. Since these games are played primarily against real people there's no way they can teach you how to win everything, but most recent fighting games have started to do a decent job at teaching you how to actually play.

I'll echo SSF4. This one does lack any sort of tutorial but it's the best for getting you into fighting games. You'll want Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, since it's the most up to date version. The new Mortal Kombat was the first fighting game I really played, it's good for single player content but if you're looking to actually get into fighting games it's not good. I didn't get much use out of what I learned from playing it.

#17 Posted by Revolutia (27 posts) -

Okay, thanks. Is SSF4 playable on PS3 controller? I have watched some videos and if I am saying this correctly, you use 6 buttons in SSF4 while in MK or Injustice you use just 4-5. Is that a problem on a PS3 controller?

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

Everyone is talking about games that are good at teaching you the moves but NONE OF THAT MATTERS. Knowing tons of moves won't help you for shit in a fighting game if you don't know how and when to properly execute those moves and how to properly respond to constant pressure.

That is something that fighting games still suck at doing is actually showing you application for those moves. So I'm not sure what really to even recommend. I mean I like Tekken Tag 2 and Injustice a whole lot but if you're thinking of playing them online your still going to get stuffed by people who know what they are doing.

#19 Posted by Outbr3ak (19 posts) -

@revolutia: Yes, totally playable. Many prefer arcade sticks, but some of the folks I play with who are remarkably good at SSFIV (on a regional level even) play with a PS3 pad. Also, SSFIV is the way to go for a beginner. It will be frustrating for a bit, but if you have a buddy to play and learn with, there's really nothing better.

#20 Posted by Revolutia (27 posts) -

Are there still people playing SSF4? What is the average wait time for a match? I know that it also matters on when I play.

#21 Posted by Hunkulese (2628 posts) -

@revolutia: What are you hoping to get out of a fighting game?

Any of the fighting games you've probably heard of before are fine for beginners if you're not playing online. They all have in game move lists and that's all you really need to beat the computer on normal or dick around with your friends. MK9 has a pretty great story as does Dead or Alive. Injustice's story is ass and SF barely has a story.

If you want to play online that's a whole different beast. It's going to be a long and frustrating time before you learn enough to have fun online no matter what game you're playing.

#22 Posted by StarvingGamer (7918 posts) -
#23 Posted by DonutFever (3548 posts) -

Injustice, Street Fighter IV, or Persona 4 Arena.

#24 Posted by Revolutia (27 posts) -

@hunkulese: As to what I am looking for. I am not even sure. I just want a fun game that I could keep playing for a long time and improve in. I understand that playing online will be insanely hard, but yeah, gotta start somewhere I guess.

#25 Posted by CitizenCoffeeCake (462 posts) -

Lets see, Dead or Alive is pretty easy to pick up although it's not super deep and I don't think it has much of a community. UMvC3 has a pretty easy basic combo system but can seem like insanity at first. SSFIV:AE to me is the most pure fighting game right now (excluding Dive Kick because it's not out). If you just want a fun single player I'd say MK9.

Many people will say you HAVE to play with a good arcade stick, however, there are tournament level players that use gamepads, it just depends on the amount of practice you want to put in. I think starting to learn something like AE or UMvC3 is good because you can watch big tournaments streamed on Twitch and maybe pick up a thing or two. The game damn sure isn't going to teach you what you need to know.

If you want longevity, you're talking about multiplayer and for that I would say Street Fighter, watch EVO this weekend and maybe that will help you decide.

#26 Posted by FLStyle (4532 posts) -
#27 Posted by Revolutia (27 posts) -

@citizencoffeecake: I am not so sure about UMvC3, the game seems REALYL overwhelming, I mean 3 characters at once? :X

#28 Posted by gokaired (470 posts) -

Street Fighter IV and blazblue and Persona 4 arena is the most user friendly games i can think of.

Street Fighter 4 is traditional and has common button layout, commands and execution is forgivable.

Blazblue: has a simple button layout and common commands for special and Supers, there's a mode that does special attacks at a press of a button for automatic combos.

Persona 4: Arena i haven't much experience with (even though i own it) but the attacks are almost automatic and characters are a little more unique so learning a character(s) is a little more essential.

If your really Hardcore play King of Fighter 13 :P

#29 Posted by Revolutia (27 posts) -

I am wondering why is SSF4 the "best" for starting out with a fighting game since it has 6 buttons (or alteast from what I have obsereved on youtube), wouldn't be a game with 4 buttons easier? Can anyone englightenment me? I am just asking too many questions, I should probably just pick something...

#30 Edited by gokaired (470 posts) -

@revolutia: Short Answers: Street Fighter II has been a standard that most fighting games are based on, if you can play any Street Fighter, you can play any fighting game (2D....).

On a more technical level specific to SF IV, combos and supers and ultras are easy to pull off, it isn't crazy fast so promotes a more strategic, thoughtful kind of play, the 6 buttons give a player a wider range of attack choice (In fact i hear during it's creation apparently SFII paved the way for 6 buttons on game controllers in the first place) I know players who don't use their heavy attacks and other who do nothing but use heavies. Mistakes are also less disastrous like in KOF (seriously, one screw up and half your HP is gone!).

#31 Posted by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@revolutia: Just be warned about Street Fighter - people have been playing SF for years now and have memorized frame data and all sorts of imposing sounding information. So unlike newer games like Injustice, when playing any sort of online with a SF title you will either meet people who likewise are new to the series or people that will completely destroy you.

#32 Posted by DarthOrange (3813 posts) -

I disagree with the people saying Injustice, I don't think it is very inviting. I would recommend Mortal Kombat as the basic combos are simple to pull off and you don't have to worry about stage hazards like in Injustice. If you can press three buttons in quick succession you can preform a combo.

Also this might seem like out of left field but I think that Battle Royale would be another good one. It doesn't play like any other fighting games but the fundamentals are there. After a person has one meter they can kill you at any moment, which is when it becomes important to focus on reading you opponent and making educated guesses about what they are trying to set up and figure out a counter. It is a good game to teach you how to read your opponents and their aren't that many characters to learn. Plus there are always four characters on screen so you won't feel as much pressure as you do in a one on one fight. The online community there is solid and there is a good mix of players so you won't get steam rolled online.

I am wondering why is SSF4 the "best" for starting out with a fighting game since it has 6 buttons (or alteast from what I have obsereved on youtube), wouldn't be a game with 4 buttons easier? Can anyone englightenment me? I am just asking too many questions, I should probably just pick something...

Street Fighter 4 is extremely technical and the people who play that online do not mess around. Unless you have someone who will be a sparring partner with you will learn very little. There is a reason it is the biggest game at Evo every year.

#33 Edited by falserelic (5278 posts) -

Edit: I can't believe I posted the wrong vid, but anyway street fighter for the win!

#34 Posted by Petiew (1322 posts) -

Okay, thanks. Is SSF4 playable on PS3 controller? I have watched some videos and if I am saying this correctly, you use 6 buttons in SSF4 while in MK or Injustice you use just 4-5. Is that a problem on a PS3 controller?

Yep it's playable on controller. The D-pad is generally better to use than the analog stick in fighting games and the PS3 has a good one. It defaults to using the 4 face buttons and R1 and R2 for your 6 moves. L1 is mapped to the three punch buttons, L2 is mapped to the 3 kicks. Some moves require you to hit 2 or 3 punch/kick buttons for example so L1 can be used instead of trying to hit the 3 punch buttons simultaneously on your small controller. You can reconfigure the buttons to best suit you though.

Having less buttons doesn't make a game easier or harder, just depends on the game. I'd say Street Fighter is good to start with because it's more slow paced. There are less gimmicks and crazy things flying all over the screen to distract you so you have time to think and see what you did wrong. It'll help you learn some fundamentals that you can carry over to other games.

#35 Edited by Revolutia (27 posts) -

So after watching some of the Evo, SSF4 looks like a fun game, looks really hard, but no fighting is easy I guess. Btw, how is Tekken Tag Tournament 2, is it a bad fighting game or not a really good game for beginner?

#36 Posted by WMoyer83 (624 posts) -

Blazblue is a good beginners game

#37 Posted by Pazy (2560 posts) -

So after watching some of the Evo, SSF4 looks like a fun game, looks really hard, but no fighting is easy I guess. Btw, how is Tekken Tag Tournament 2, is it a bad fighting game or not a really good game for beginner?

If you have a gaming PC SSFIVAE should be on sale for £4 (or whatever in your local currency) on Steam at some point in the next few days. It was so cheap a friend just gave me a copy.

#38 Posted by Revolutia (27 posts) -

@pazy: Yeah, I am aware of that, but I do not really have a controller for my PC, so I am looking for PS3 games only.

#39 Edited by AiurFlux (901 posts) -

Mortal Kombat if you just want something super casual that you can ramp up into. SSFIVAETESDHD if you want a better fighting game even if the barrier to entry appears to be, and can be, like climbing Everest. Injustice is a good game but has far to many variables for a beginner (stage hazards, transitions) plus there are still some pretty big balancing issues with characters like Deathstroke gun spam. Completely skip UMvC3.

And try not to play any of them on a controller. That's like having legs, getting them amputated for no reason, and then running a 100m sprint. Get a stick. Get a proper stick. Get a Hori stick.

#40 Edited by Revolutia (27 posts) -

So I have decided to go for SSFA4 Arcade Edition, but I read somewhere there that should be Arcade Edition 2013, is that a completely new game or just an update to the Arcade Edition from 2012?

#41 Posted by Petiew (1322 posts) -

@revolutia: 2012 was a free balance patch to Arcade Edition. It's the most current edition. There's a newer edition coming out sometime this year. We're not sure what it'll include yet.

#42 Posted by Revolutia (27 posts) -

@petiew: So if I understand it correctly, it is kinda pointless to buy the current edition since new one is coming soon?

#43 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3535 posts) -

@revolutia said:

Street Fighter 4 is extremely technical and the people who play that online do not mess around. Unless you have someone who will be a sparring partner with you will learn very little. There is a reason it is the biggest game at Evo every year.

Agreed. I personally feel that giving ultra moves a huge windup animation--and forcing them to be used in combos--represented a rather large move away from accessibility.

I'd also suggest the latest Mortal Kombat game. The fantastic story mode would also be a lot of fun for players of any skill level. Best of all might be Street Fighter HD Remix, but that game costs as much now as a copy of Street Fighter IV, which seems kind of crappy.

#44 Posted by Petiew (1322 posts) -

@revolutia: Depends on what this new update actually is. It could just be another free balance patch or it could be a paid update like AE was. We'll be finding out later this weekend so I guess you should hold out until then!

#45 Posted by altairre (1113 posts) -

Injustice would be my recommendation.

You don't have to memorize long combo strings and there is a decent amount of characters that are fairly easy to learn. It's always good if you have somebody to play with (at your level that is) because you're gonna get wrecked online in pretty much every fighting game if you're new.

It also has a fun story mode if you can get behind the characters.

#46 Edited by draltor (2 posts) -

Sounds like you already made up your mind. But, I thought SF IV was terrible as a beginner. The tutorial was bad and even the list of moves made no sense (as a beginner). The combos are hard to pull off and didn't even make sense (until looking at youtube videos). It is also difficult to use a controller. Some moves require you to hit two buttons at the same time. I find this hard on a normal controller. Unless your goal is to really get into fighting games, I wouldn't recommend SF IV. For a begginer, Injustice is a lot more fun (at least it was for me).

#47 Posted by Demoskinos (14519 posts) -

@sooty said:

SSFIV AE is basically the best game to start with. At its core, it's quite simple, you will pick up the fundamentals there.

You can start easier and go with MK or Injustice but once you get comfortable with AE trying other fighters might seem a bit easier, instead of jumping from MK to SFIV. (MK is extremely simple combo and execution wise in comparison)

Marvel is...well Marvel is great fun and you can quickly jump in, but trying to learn 3 characters at once is very demanding, at least I felt that way initially. Start small before moving onto the tag games. I found Tekken Tag 2 a nightmare at first because of the insane amount of moves each character has, learning 2 of them is like learning a freaking language.

edit: AE has a strong amount of players still playing (quite good on PC, lots on 360) but be warned, you will likely face pretty adept players, although rest assured you'll still meet some pretty awful ones. (I am baffled by some of the stuff people try online sometimes!)

In tekken's defense a good portion of the time most of those moves will be just slight variations on moves or strings. Its also one of the few fighting games that you can absolutely play at a high level on a pad if you don't want to invest in a stick so... thats another bonus right there.

#48 Edited by Revolutia (27 posts) -

@draltor: I did not really make my mind, but most of the people are saying that SSFA4 is kinda good for beginners, so I thought it would be the best. I am still not sure what to buy, because everyone is saying different things :D. How is Soulcalibur V or Tekken? Basically I would prefer a game where I do not REALLY need a stick, I do not really want to invest money in to something I am newbie at, if that makes any sense.

#49 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

@revolutia: The best easy to play games that are made for gamepads would be either Dead or Alive or Mortal Kombat. DoA 5 and MK 9 both go highly recommended, the style is made for a gamepad and the systems are easy enough to play around with without being too serious. Just plain fun. They also have extensive Single Player modes with some amount of story, that serves as good practice and getting used to the controls, in contrast to most fighting games that have 0 single player outside of queued fights or practice.

If you want to delve deep into the rabbit hole of combos and character knowledge, then you could literally pick anything that looks interesting and start seraching the web/practicing. It's most likely gonna take a lot of time, but it's very rewarding for the patient.Games that are fit for this and critically acclaimed would be, Street Fighter 4 AE, Tekken Tag 2, most Arc Systems games "Persona 4 Arena being the easiest", King of Fighters 13 and Marvel vs Capcom 3. There is definitely more, since fighting is a surprisingly wide genre. Most of these play better with a stick, but I think Persona 4 and Tekken play suprisingly well with a gamepad.

#50 Posted by gaminghooligan (1403 posts) -

I feel like MK is a good stepping stone, or Injustice: Gods Among Us.