Looking for Halloween games

phishyphishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By phishyphishy

Decided to start my Halloween celebration early this year and stick to Halloween themed games. I have a few ideas but wanted to see if I could add to the list. I'm not looking simply for horror games (in fact non-horror games are preferable) but games that have a Halloween theme or feel to them.

UPDATE:

Thanks Everyone! I updated the list to include your suggestions. I'll try to clean it up later.

So far I have:

DLCs

- Infamous Halloween DLC

- Sleeping Dogs DLC

- The Undead Nightmare

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By notkcots

The Infamous Halloween DLC was really short but it was pretty cool. Same deal with the Sleeping Dogs DLC, but that one has the added benefit of being able to slam the heads of hopping vampires in car doors.

phishyphishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notkcots: I didn't even think about DLC stuff. That's a great idea.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

Blood - One of the lesser known (but far from obscure) Build engine shooters. The whole thing is a celebration of all things horror, without being a "horror game". My personal GOAT game.

Splatterhouse - The whole series, although 3 is my personal favorite. Wanpaku Graffiti (Japanese-only spinoff) is especially Halloween-y, and charmingly bizarre.

Sanitarium - Late-90s adventure game. Starts out oppressive, creepy, and dark, then just gets *weird* in an awesome way. Added bonus: A surprisingly good Android port exists, thankfully, because it can be a bitch to get running on PCs without sound and animation glitches.

The 7th Guest/The 11th Hour - Some good old haunted house adventure shenanigans, with some of the most wonderfully corny FMV you could ever ask for.

Hugo's House of Horrors - This game IS Halloween, as far as I'm concerned. Goes off the rails a bit later on, but the first half fills me with seasonal joy. The sequels are very different in tone (a jungle adventure and a whodunit), but Nitemare 3D returns to the campy horror of the original in shooter form, with the added bonus of an excellent MIDI soundtrack.

phishyphishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: thanks so much. These are great! I've been meaning to play 7th guest.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phishyphishy: Glad to help! I almost threw in Harvester as well, but the horror isn't particularly Halloween-y. Still, I love recommending that game, because I like to see which people keep playing after the baby scene. :P

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This is a bit of a reach but I feltFirewatch has an autumnal feel. The lonely mountain and the mystery give it a feel that somewhat 'spooky' even if it happens in summer.

Stuff I have not played that still might fit...

A Wolf in Autumn (Steam) - A dark, surreal psychological horror game, in which a young girl finds herself locked in a shed, in the middle of an idyllic autumn forest.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not Halloween themed at all, but it's in a scary as balls haunted house. And you have a dog friend named Hewie! Haunting Ground

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That Dead Rising bundle just came out I think, nice Dawn of the Dead horror setting.

It's funny, I always associate The Warriors PS2 game with Halloween and I finally realized that's because it came out in October of 2005.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a bit of a reach but I feltFirewatch has an autumnal feel. The lonely mountain and the mystery give it a feel that somewhat 'spooky' even if it happens in summer.

I would not call Firewatch a Halloween game. I do agree there is something autumnal about it.

The new Doom is sort of Halloweenish in a somewhat generic horror way. I would also say that the Telltale Walking Dead game has an appropriate vibe to be a Halloween game.

There's also Shadow Man, which is pretty spooky.

You could try some FMV madness like Ripper or Harvester.

Nobody has mentioned ANY Silent Hill games? That's unexpected.

But my real recommendation is the Castlevania series. Almost all the major horror movie creatures are represented and the music is INCREDIBLE and very appropriate. Whether it's Super Castlevania IV, Symphony of the Night, or just plain old Castlevania, you can't go wrong battling Dracula and his buddies on Halloween.

Unless you're playing Simon's Quest I guess. That game is scary for other reasons. But the music is still fantastic!

Oh, and definitely play Blood and Splatterhouse.

RupertTheBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wolf Among Us - Fabled characters trying to solve a murder within their community similar to a Jack the ripper case.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Roaming and exploring game about a paranormal detective trying to find a boy amongst a grisly murder.

Stasis - Isometric point and click adventure game set in a isolated haunting spaceship (Has lots of interesting death scenes if you screw up or get yourself intentionally killed)

Lucius - Low budget game loosely based on The Omen (You play as a devilish boy going around the mansion killing a bunch of servants/guest/family members while making it look like an accident /suicide)

Oxenfree - Adventure choice dialogue game about a bunch of teens partying at a remote island where they encounter a strange phenomenon

Beyond : Two Souls - Interactive story game about a unsettling relationship between a girl and her ghost chronologically growing up from her childhood to her adulthood (featuring Ellen Paige and William Dafoe)

Heavy Rain - Interactive Psychological thriller with 4 protagonist trying to solve a murder / disappearance of young boys from a serial killer

The Last of Us - Survival action game set in the post apocalypse about a man and a girl trekking across the United States while fending off from the infected and outlaws

EvilCalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Illbleed --on Dreamcast

Nightmare Before Christmas -- on PS2

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Zleunamme
  • Silent Hill, Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3
  • The Last of Us
  • Grim Fandago
  • Resident Evil: the original, directors cut or HD remake.
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Bully had a cool Halloween storyline mission.
  • Shadows of the Damned
  • Bloodrayne 2. You can play the first one but the second one is better game.
  • Devil May Cry: The first, the third or the Ninja Theory reboot version.
  • Onimusha: The first one, Demon Siege or Dawn of Dreams.
  • The Thing. I have not played that game. Based on what I've seen from other people playing it. It is not a great game but has it moments. The game is a sequel to the John Carpenter film of the same name.
  • Manhunt. I never finished that game. The game has a lot atmosphere and can be gruesome at times. The game along with GTA 3 became infamous due the violence and subject matter. A lot of the stealth mechanics worked their way into future Grand Theft Auto games.
  • Deadly Premonition. It is not a good looking or playing game but has enough charm to keep you going. The game tries to capture a Twin Peaks vibe. The shorted lived David Lynch TV series not the sexist restaurant chain. Check out the Endurance Runs if you have not.

That is all I got for now.

TheUnholyGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• F.E.A.R. 2 takes place around Halloween If I remember correctly.
  • Ghost Master is a pretty lighthearted and goofy game where you command a team of ghosts and haunt levels inspired by popular horror films.
  • Bloodborne definitely has a bit of a Halloween feel to it with the whole night of the hunt thing.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator

Apogee's Monster Bash! Cute and ridiculously gory DOS platformer about a kid with a slingshot saving pets from zombies.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FEAR 1 and 2

SOMA with the mod where enemies ignore you. The game is still creepy but you don't have to worry about tedious stealth.

Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain games

Doom 1/2 or new Doom

Codemned

Luigi's Mansion

Dying Light

Murdered Soul Suspect? I don't know if this game is any good but I played an hour and it was interesting.

giliad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Clock Tower 3 is disturbing as hell.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@notkcots: If you're intrigued by DLC, "The Undead Nightmare" DLC from Red Dead Redemption is one of the best "Halloweeny" products I've ever played.

And like a good Halloween: it's a lot more funny than it is scary.

ranion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ranion

The They Hunger mod for Half life

Colt45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Monster Party always gives me the nostalgic Halloween warm and fuzzies.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Looking through games I've played on my PS4, trying to find something not already mentioned. All I'm seeing that fits the bill is Knock-Knock. That game is weird though. I had to read a guide to even know what the hell was going on or how the game worked. I did kinda like it, but it can be real annoying at times too.

Oh, just thought about Saint's Row: Gat out of Hell. Nothing scary or anything about it at all, but you are literally in Hell.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, FEAR 2 is definitely worth it. It's in that nice sweet spot between its siblings; FEAR 3 had a miserable plot and was effectively a mediocre Call of Duty clone while FEAR was a good 2005 Half Life clone with horror movie tropes that dragged on and on at spots (looking at you, seemingly endless office building segment). FEAR 2 is not a clone at all and has a great pace to it. It's the Empire Strikes Back of the FEAR trilogy.

Puppeteer on the PlayStation 3 was an incredible $40 budget game from Sony that blew me away. It stars a main character named Kutaro, but don't let the name fool you... this game is as British as they come. Patrick Doyle (Nanny McPhee, Thor, Brave) composed the soundtrack and it has this twisted, irreverent dark humor. The whole game is on a 2d plane that has a Baroque theatre stage motif going on, and pieces of the set fly off and get replaced as you move along the level. Your mission? To defeat MoonBearKing, who turned you into a puppet and ate your head. You end up using random things in the environment as replacement heads as you journey along, your magical scissors laying waste to the stage props as you power through. It's a joy. An amazing gem that I'm glad I stumbled upon.

Oh, and Batman: Arkham Asylum. The Scarecrow sections are wonderfully Halloween, as is the Gothic asylum itself with every feature oddly askew and the moonlight shining down upon the crazed, clown-loving lunatics.

Or... you could play Dead Space or Resident Evil IV. I'm more a shooter and action-adventure guy, but those are both good at the survivor-horror thing. :-P

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to replay Luigi's Mansion, Dreadout,& PT

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to replay Luigi's Mansion, Dreadout,& PT

Have a Gamecube but no Luigi´s Mansion, that is probably a cardinal sin.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always found that the Thief games tend to go fully into into spooky/horror territory at some point, and there's something about crawling around in the dark that might work for a Halloween game.