#1 Posted by MXC361 (137 posts) -

Hey guys, I'm interested in getting a gaming laptop that is relatively cheap ($700 or less) and can still perform at least moderately well. The only games that I will be playing on it will mostly be RTS (Civ V, Star Wars Empire at War, Age of Empires, Total War, and maybe Red Orchestra 2.) I'm not too bothered if I can't play them on the highest settings, medium or higher will be fine, but I would like the games to run at an acceptable frame rate. Any suggestions are welcome.

#2 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -

You don't buy gaming laptops for $700.

That said, light gaming is entirely possible for a laptop at such a price but don't expect to run anything released in the last five or so years on medium or high settings with really good framerates. Low, maybe. But not on the higher settings.

If - and this is going to be repeated ad nauseam in this thread, so get used to it - you can build a computer, then $700 will go a hell of a lot farther than if you bought a laptop.

#3 Posted by Crysack (302 posts) -

a) Don't buy a laptop for gaming.

b) $700 will get you nowhere as far as 'gaming' laptops go.

#4 Edited by M_Shini (551 posts) -

What they said.

Depends on how important that portable feature is for you not, either way you will have to play these games at a terrible quality to have the luxury to carry them around with you.

#5 Posted by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

what @believer258: and @Crysack: said. dont get a gaming laptop. 700 will make an great gaming pc.

#6 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@living4theday258 said:

what @believer258: and @Crysack: said. dont get a gaming laptop. 700 will make an great gaming pc.

It will make a fairly decent gaming PC, not a great one.

#7 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I looked into a gaming laptop a couple years ago and the other posters are right. You could do old games or current games at low-med at best. The amount of money it takes to get a good gaming laptop can buy you a awesome desktop.

#8 Posted by Crysack (302 posts) -

@sins_of_mosin said:

I looked into a gaming laptop a couple years ago and the other posters are right. You could do old games or current games at low-med at best. The amount of money it takes to get a good gaming laptop can buy you a awesome desktop.

More to the point, even if you have the cash, gaming laptops are utterly pointless. Any laptop with a half-decent processor/gfx card under the hood will be a desktop-replacement anyway and will be as heavy as a bag of bricks and not portable at all. Aside from that, you'll be shit out of luck when you want to upgrade your hardware in the future.

#9 Edited by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

A cheap gaming laptop is not something that exists. Spend $700 on a tower and you should be fine.

#11 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1763 posts) -

If you need to have a laptop, and don't just want one, you would be best served getting the best laptop you can for the best price and working around what it's capable of. I would recommend looking at the Toshiba Satellite line. I got mine for around $500 (this was down from the near $600 since it was a discontinued model and was the display unit with very light damage) and it's done right by me. Just do your research on the graphics cards, as they are the biggest limiting factor with laptops. A lot of games won't even run on integrated cards.

If you don't need the laptop, then do as the others have have invest that money in a desktop.

#12 Posted by MXC361 (137 posts) -

The overwhelming majority here says that I SHOULDN'T get a gaming laptop, which is duely noted. That being said, I don't really feel comfortable building my own PC; so is there any you can recommend to me for around or below the same $700 price tag?

#13 Posted by Crysack (302 posts) -

@MXC361 said:

The overwhelming majority here says that I SHOULDN'T get a gaming laptop, which is duely noted. That being said, I don't really feel comfortable building my own PC; so is there any you can recommend to me for around or below the same $700 price tag?

Yes, pick out your parts, order them from newegg and pay a local tech place to build it for you.

Really though, building a PC is like putting together lego - it isn't difficult at all.

#14 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1425 posts) -

I made a mistake before and got a gaming laptop, and regretted it ever since. Just build a PC and don't be afraid about the processes. It's super easy and there are plenty of videos out there to help you out (check out lifehacker). Best of all, it's a lot of fun and relaxing.

#15 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@Crysack said:

@MXC361 said:

Yes, pick out your parts, order them from newegg and pay a local tech place to build it for you.

Really though, building a PC is like putting together lego - it isn't difficult at all.

OR he could just watch this fantastic Tested video on how to put together a gaming PC. Yes, it says $1500, but any PC you put together will pretty much be this. They explain everything pretty well; all you'll have to do is research and pick out the parts.

#16 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

@Ghost_Cat said:

I made a mistake before and got a gaming laptop, and regretted it ever since. Just build a PC and don't be afraid about the processes. It's super easy and there are plenty of videos out there to help you out (check out lifehacker). Best of all, it's a lot of fun and relaxing.

Yeah, real relaxing...Don't get me wrong I enjoy it, but there is nothing worse than having $700-1000 of paperweights if a part comes DOA or something else pops up.

#17 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1425 posts) -

@aquamarin said:

@Ghost_Cat said:

Yeah, real relaxing...Don't get me wrong I enjoy it, but there is nothing worse than having $700-1000 of paperweights if a part comes DOA or something else pops up.

Eh, the drama is part of the fun. As long as you got your receipt, everything is fine.