phoenix6153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By phoenix6153

hey all-

so my pc just died. it was five years old and just waiting to kick the bucket. i've been wanting to build my own pc for a while now but haven't had the money or reason to do so. now, with the old one dead and a surprising windfall, i have my chance. i do have one problem: budget. i know i just had a windfall, but my wife and i are expecting our first child soon, so i don't want to blow the whole check on a gaming rig. i'm looking to spend between $500-600 for a decent rig i can upgrade over the next few years. here is what i'm thinking so far:

GPU: Asus GTX 650 Ti 1GB: $139.99

Motherboard: MSI z77MA-G45: $94.99

CPU: i5-3350P Ivy bridge 3.1 GHz: $179.99

PSU: Corsair CX600 600watt: $59.99

HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM SATA: $69.99

Case: Antec 300 Illusion ATX mid Tower = $69.99

Total: $614.94

I know this doesn't have an OS yet, but is there any way i could do better? or anything i could do cheaper? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since we're not going with an SSD as your boot drive, I'd probably swap out the WD Blue for a WD Black 1tb.

Can you not reuse your old case? That'll lop $70 off the price.

phoenix6153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By phoenix6153

@zelyre said:

Since we're not going with an SSD as your boot drive, I'd probably swap out the WD Blue for a WD Black 1tb.

Can you not reuse your old case? That'll lop $70 off the price.

don't think so. it's an old hp case that looks like garbage.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#5  Edited By Kidavenger
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Yeah, you can definitely do better on the case. Get something at 40 bucks, you also could stand to go mATX as all that space would be wasted on just having one hard drive and one graphics card. mATX cases also support dual graphics cards. Since we are going budget here, I might consider going with AMD on this build. Check out how that might affect what you get because from my experience the mother boards are cheaper and the CPUs you get at that price are unbeatable.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/401796/FX_8320_Black_Edition_35GHz_AM3_Boxed_Processor

Or the APUs they put out get high marks for performance and price.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414754/A10_6800K_Black_Edition_41GHz_Quad-Core_Socket_FM2_Boxed_Processor

Though not beasts for gaming, they are adequate.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@phoenix6153: AMD's R9 260X will be a much better choice at that price range.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By TheHBK

Also, what are you doing for RAM?

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By jayjonesjunior

Until you get to certain price range, a full AMD build will grant you much better performance, a FX8320 will totally destroy the low end non overclockable i5 (and the total cost of the platform will be virtually the same).

With a full AMD build you are going to be able to easily run Battlefield 4 (Mantle on the GPU side and the 8 core architecture of the FX8320)

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ikilledthedj

Defiantly try push for a better card i just got another GTX660 running SLi they are fantastic at1080p which is what my Plasma runs at 1080P

only reason i went SLI is to just go overboard one 660 is prime with games like watchdogs and titan fall you will start stressing that 650 tho.