ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ldhudsonjr

Hey guys,

I'm looking for pick up a new gaming PC in the next couple weeks, but don't want to just jump into it considering how much it's going to cost. My plan is to pick up a pre-built computer that I can upgrade later on. Here are a few i'm considering, let me know what you guys think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227438&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883258014

I'm thinking about this one as well but the price is a bit high

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227439

Also, if you have some suggestions on where to look, let me know!

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Mirado

Build your own from scratch. It's cheaper, you can tailor it to your needs, and you learn a lot more about your system that way.

Trust me, it'll be worth it.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sanity

Personally i would just build your own, its not that hard with a bit of proper research and you will save money + learn how to do it.

You can get a way better pc if you do it yourself at that price point.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WasabiCurry

As a general rule of thumb, you do not want to buy pre-built systems. Especially for gaming.

Just taking a quick look from the first link, I am scared at what PSU they are using. I am looking for it right now, but PSU for these pre-built systems have always turned out to be a bad investment in the end. If you are going to spend that kind of money,

just build it. Especially if you are going to drop close to 1500 dollars! Here is a link that can help get you started.

ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ldhudsonjr

Thanks guys. Was hoping to avoid it but I think you've swayed me...*sigh* time to start the research I guess...haha

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mirado

@ldhudsonjr: Well, we're more than happy to aid you in that as well. If you can give me a budget (including whether or not you need a monitor), a target (what games do you like to play? What resolution are you going to be running them at? What kind of performance would you like at that resolution, in terms of frames per second and quality?), and any other relevant needs (specific brands or shops you can use, I see your first links were from Newegg so I assume you're in the US?), I can probably help you crank out a build pretty quickly.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

Aren't we all

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WasabiCurry

@ldhudsonjr: If you ever need help, I am here to do the best of my capabilities to make you an awesome PC! is definitely asking the great questions. Give us what you want.

ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ldhudsonjr

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

Let's start with a budget of $1,100 not including a monitor (i'll probably just buy the cheapest monitor I can to start out with and move up from there, rig is the important part for now.) Games I'm planning to play right out of the gate would be League of Legends, SWTOR, Starcraft 2, Minecraft, DayZ etc..and would want to max them if possible. I'd like to build a system powerful enough to keep up with whatever is coming out for a bit. Really want to get around 8 months to a year out of it before having to upgrade the GPU or anything if possible. Once again, thanks a lot for your help guys.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Huey2k2

@ldhudsonjr said:

Thanks guys. Was hoping to avoid it but I think you've swayed me...*sigh* time to start the research I guess...haha

Building it yourself is the way to go honestly. There are plenty of good tutorial videos online to show you how to actually put your machine together, and most of the parts come with instruction booklets that tell you exactly how to install them, and how to know if you are fucking it up.

The first time I ever built a PC it was what seemed like a daunting task, but in the end it is far simpler than it seems.

Your first time might take you a few hours, but once you get the hang of it, you can build a machine relatively quickly.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mirado

@ldhudsonjr said:

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

Let's start with a budget of $1,100 not including a monitor (i'll probably just buy the cheapest monitor I can to start out with and move up from there, rig is the important part for now.) Games I'm planning to play right out of the gate would be League of Legends, SWTOR, Starcraft 2, Minecraft, DayZ etc..and would want to max them if possible. I'd like to build a system powerful enough to keep up with whatever is coming out for a bit. Really want to get around 8 months to a year out of it before having to upgrade the GPU or anything if possible. Once again, thanks a lot for your help guys.

Well, how likely you are to max those games will be dependent on your resolution; it's a hell of a lot easier to do that at 720p vs 1080p, and easier to do it at 1080p than at 1920x1200 or larger. Still, here's what I quickly came up with in your budget. So, let's go piece by piece:

The CPU is the best of the Ivy Bridge i5 line; with the ability to overclock to crazy numbers, if you ever feel like your CPU is holding you back, you can just crank it up. The motherboard is standard fare, able to handle any modern GPU but without a bunch of frills that just serve to drive the price up. 16GB of RAM is where you want to be right about now; you can get away with 8 but it's so cheap there's no reason not to just toss in the extra. The power supply is a modular unit from Corsair that's rated 80 PLUS Gold; it should run quietly and efficiently. Plus, you only need to install whatever cabling you require, which keeps the clutter down. The hard drive is a 1TB unit from WD (the black line, not the green line; I'll get into that more later) which will handle everything more or less perfectly.

Now, the GPU. I've got you with a boosted 7950 from AMD; it'll beat up the 660 Ti from nVidia more often than not. You've got some options, however. You can step up to a 670 for about $40 or so more, and you can also go up to a 7970 for a bit extra, although you'll have to do the research and find out if the extra few frames are worth the cost for what you play at whatever your target resolution is.

So, that's about $974. We still don't have a case, but that's so personal preference based (in terms of looks) that I leave it out for you to decide. Anything that can fit an ATX motherboard in either mid-or full tower size will do just fine, so you can allocate the remainder to that.

Now, upgrades. You can go for a SSD, either in place of a HDD or in addition to. If you are going as an addition, revert the HDD to a green line model (which are slower to respond and perform vs the blacks, but if it isn't your primary storage device then you don't really need to worry about the difference) and pick a SSD around 128GB. You'll need to rotate games in and out a bit, but you can store whatever isn't load time dependent (movies, music, etc) on the bulk drive and keep whatever can take advantage of the speed on the SSD. If you are going to replace the HDD, don't go any smaller than 256GB on it. I would also suggest an aftermarket cooler for your CPU if you feel comfortable replacing the stock one; it'll run cooler and quieter along with aiding any future overclocking. I also didn't add a CD/DVD drive in there, but they are cheap enough that you can just spring for one if you so require it.

Downgrades that you could make to save cash involve cutting the GPU to a 660 TI or 78xx series, which will hurt your FPS but not drastically, especially at lower resolutions. You could probably gain $100 out of that. You can back off the PSU to a non-modular 80 PLUS Bronze unit, but no less than that; bad PSUs are system killers and I'd rather you throw the extra into here vs anywhere else in the build. You could also cut the CPU back but you lose any overclocking potential if you get away from the unlocked "k" series units, so keep that in mind. Everywhere else will save you so little money that it isn't really worth doing.

So, let's look at it vs the most expensive pre-built system you have there. You lose the SDD and a TB of hard drive space, but you're getting a WAY better GPU while the rest of the features more or less pair across the board (the 3770k would be completely wasted on a gaming rig, the 3570k is more than enough) for $300 less. Not bad, eh?

If you do feel like upgrading from what I have feel free to toss any ideas you may have or questions about my recommendations my way.

EternalGamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EternalGamer2

Mirado's build is pretty good. I only have a few potential alterations/suggestions: 1) spending $90 on 16GB of RAM really seems like overkill, especially when you can add more extremely easily if you need later on. I have 6gb in my i7 w/ a 7970 and I can max pretty mich every game I throw at it at 1920x1200. I recommend 8gb of this great Samsung Ram: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Extreme-MV-3V4G3D-US/dp/B00592002W/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie;=UTF8&qid;=1359443755&sr;=1-2&keywords;=Samsung+ddr3+ram Only $46. That's $50 less and it's plenty of ram and very good quality. It is the neogaf recommended RAM of choice. Btw, be sure to at least glance at the first post of their "I need a PC" thread. It is filled with fantastic info, frequently updated and those guys who manage it know their shit. 2) Check and see if there is a Microcenter by where you live. You can search on theor website. If there is, you can get that exact same processor and a better motherboard for at least $100 cheaper. It will also be easier to return if you have problems.

ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ldhudsonjr

Thanks guys for all your suggestions! Mirado your build was extremely helpful as a jumping off point. I've done a lot of research on the topic and this is the revised build I've come up with. Would love to know what you guys think.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=22240526

EternalGamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EternalGamer2

@ldhudsonjr: That's a pretty monster build.

My biggest suggestion is to go with a smaller SSD--an 80GB or a 120GB. All you really need it for is for Windows anyway because that is what really benefits from it. That would still be big enough to also throw whatever one or two games you are currently playing on as well and you can use a program like Steam Mover to easily move games back and forth. Use the money you save to buy a 500GB or 1TB harddrive. A Western Digital Blue preferably. Trust me after some Steam sales you are going to want some storage space. That 250GB is going to disappear far too fast.

For the same price as that 250GB SSD you can easily get a 100GB SSD and a 1 TB harddrive.

Something like this:

Western Digital Blue 1TB Harddrive $69 after promo code

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

Intel SSD 120GB $125

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167121

That ends up being cheaper than the 250GB SSD and a lot more storage space.

ldhudsonjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ldhudsonjr

@EternalGamer2: Thanks for the suggestion, I think I will!

EternalGamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EternalGamer2

Enjoy your system. That is an incredibly powerful build. You could even cut some corners and still have an amazing build if you didn't want to go all out.

Again, I recommend checking out this neogaf thread if you haven't already. The first few posts have a ton of info both on builds and even guides and the guys there know there stuff. It is also frequently updated:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509570