#1 Posted by Stackvibe (6 posts) -

So ive been using a CRT forever now and going to be getting an Xbox One so I'm gonna need either an HDTV or a Monitor. Ive ben avoiding HDTV's for a while now since every single one ive come across always had really bad HD lag. What should i be looking out for in the specifications if i want an HDTV or Monitor that has the least possible HD lag. Also which would be the better choice, the monitor or tv and why. I am not really looking to spend more than $300.

#2 Edited by Damodar (1428 posts) -

http://www.displaylag.com/ has latency information for whole bunch of monitors and TVs with actual specs that I thiiiink they might actually test themselves (ie not just using the manufacturers stated latency etc)

#3 Posted by Stackvibe (6 posts) -

@damodar: So i see the lowest possible one on the list is 09ms. I assume that would have no hd lag since the rating is excellent and is as good as it gets on that list but what is the highest possible ms you can have that will not experience HD lag. Does anyone know. I wanna know what range i should be looking at. Also i was checking pretty inexpensive monitors on best buy and some of them said 2ms. Is that referring to something else entirely since a number as low as 2 isnt even mentioned on this list.

#4 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

I think you need to start another forum post about this just to make sure you have all your bases covered. Maybe another two or three to be safe.

#5 Posted by Tyrrael (250 posts) -

@damodar: So i see the lowest possible one on the list is 09ms. I assume that would have no hd lag since the rating is excellent and is as good as it gets on that list but what is the highest possible ms you can have that will not experience HD lag. Does anyone know. I wanna know what range i should be looking at. Also i was checking pretty inexpensive monitors on best buy and some of them said 2ms. Is that referring to something else entirely since a number as low as 2 isnt even mentioned on this list.

When you shop for monitors, most places, Best Buy included, are going to include what is called pixel response time. That is what the 2ms is referring to. This is how long it takes the pixels on the monitor to change. Most are under 10ms, and it's not difficult to find ones that have 2ms or even 1ms, as you just saw. The "lag" you are talking about is often called input lag. This is the time it takes from when you push a button or move a stick on the controller to when that action is display on the screen. Most monitors have good pixel response time and input lag these days, whereas a lot of TVs have decent pixel response time but poor input lag ratings. If you're looking to buy a TV for gaming on a console, then 30ms or less is ideal. I recently bought an LG 32" LN5300 TV, which has input lag in the 20ms range, and I don't notice it at all. Also, the reason that a lot of people say that you want lower input lag on a PC monitor than a TV is because you use a mouse with a PC, and input lag is often more noticeable to more people when using a mouse since it doesn't have that smooth 1 to 1 feel when moving it, even when using the PC for things other than gaming.

#6 Posted by Stackvibe (6 posts) -

@tyrrael: All right got it. Appreciate it. Im assuming the pixel response time is what causes the ghosting(blur) in games and the input lag time is what affects the actual HD lag?

#7 Posted by Tyrrael (250 posts) -

@stackvibe: I don't want to overcomplicate this, but while pixel response time is a factor in the ghosting effect, often called motion blur, but it is not the only factor. I won't get into details (if you want to research it further, you can), but a poor quality monitor/TV with good pixel response time, say 5ms, could still have a considerable amount of the blurring effect. My TV does have a bit of motion blur, but it's something that pretty much every TV is going to have, at least to an extent, unless you want to spend more money to get one that has less blurring, or get a plasma which usually has less blurring overall. On a side note, plasmas are often better than LCDs about motion blur, but they can still suffer from extremely terrible input lag. So, still be careful if you are considering getting a plasma. Having a smooth picture isn't going to mean shit if you have nearly 100ms of input lag.

Also, I just want to clarify something. I rarely hear the term "HD lag". Input lag and HD lag both refer to the delay between the time you press a button on the controller to the time it takes the TV to display it. Just a helpful hint, I would try to use the term "input lag" from now on, because it is much more common and will help reduce confusion. I was actually a little confused at first as to what you meant, however, I understand what you mean now, and the answer is essentially a yes. Reducing the input lag time will reduce the lag between the controller and it displaying on the HDTV.

Hope this helps.

#8 Posted by Stackvibe (6 posts) -

@tyrrael: It definitely helped. Thanks. One last thing, as you mentioned 30ms or lower of input lag is ideal, what about the ms for pixel response time. What would be the ideal number for that so as to not experience too much blurring in your opinion?

#9 Posted by Tyrrael (250 posts) -

Generally, anything under 10ms is ideal. Just keep in mind that, like I said before, having a low pixel response time isn't automatically going to guarantee a smooth picture. If you have your eye on a particular TV, it's always a good idea to do a little research to see how it fares in real world use, rather than just relying on the raw numbers. There may be a TV out there that has a higher pixel response time than some other comparable TVs but still performs better. Just use my under 10ms reference as more of a guideline than a flat out rule.

All things considered, I would definitely look at input lag first and foremost, because since you're going to use this TV for gaming, then having an input lag near the triple digits is going to make basically every game unplayable. Like I said, under 30ms is ideal, but if it goes a little over that, it's probably not going to matter much. However, if you see it go above 50ms, I would play it safe and stay away. There are some people that can handle it that high, but a lot of people, especially those that play a lot of fast paced games, are going to start to notice it, and it'll interfere with the gameplay.

#10 Posted by NTM (7486 posts) -

I feel like this thread should have been made in 07 at latest.