Looking to start a new RPG on PC, any suggestions?

• 48 results
alfmutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By alfmutant

I've already played all of these games and their sequels too and I hate the MMO genre.

Arcanum - Avernum - Divinity - Baldur's Gate - Dragon Age - Fallout - Fable - Gothic - Icewind Dale - Jade Empire - Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning - Lord of the Rings War in the North - Mass Effect - Might and Magic - Mount and Blade - Neverwinter Nights - Pool of Radiance - Planescape Torment - Sacred - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic - The Elder Scrolls - The Witcher - Two Worlds - Ultima.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Maybe try Risen, the first one, I have no idea how the sequel is. It is a run of the mill action RPG that takes place on an explorable island. Not the best nor the worst RPG I've ever played.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Original_Hank

Alpha Protocol and Dark Souls are two I would recommend.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Diablo 1, 2, 3. :O

Rastopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a big fan of the Wizardry series. If you're into dungeon crawlers then I highly recommend it. You can get Wizardry 8 here. They also have 6 and 7 bundled together.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Temple of Elemental Evil, bro. Gotta get in on all the chaos.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 2. It takes a bit of work on modern machines (you need DOSbox or a steam copy, and you need to edit a batch file) but that is easy stuff and it is totally worth it. Even being like 16 years old by now it is still an awesome game. It's pretty cheap too, like $10.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah, Grimrock! It's a nice change of pace from most of the games on your list.

I was gonna post Might and Magic, but he put it up. And after posting Grimrock, it just makes it even more painful that GOG doesn't have the SSI Goldbox games yet.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There aren't that many RPGs on PC, sadly. Of course, there's the Fallout games, those are good. Diablo, if you like that kind of stuff. You could try The Last Remnant, it's a pretty good JRPG, challenging, fun, and it's a good length. Alpha Protocol is a really good one too.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I am ArbitraryWater and I approve this message. I'll also throw in Wizardry 8 for good measure.

@missacre said:

There aren't that many RPGs on PC, sadly.

What. Modern RPGs, yes. RPGs that came out 15 years ago...?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GreggD

@video_game_king said:

I am ArbitraryWater and I approve this message. I'll also throw in Wizardry 8 for good measure.

@missacre said:

Of which 90% of his games played list is made.

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mindgarden418

@rastopher:

I have to second Wizardry. 6-8 are amazing games.

Anachronox is also pretty alright.

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By maverick1

the witcher 2 enhaced edition

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By maverick1

the witcher 2 enhaced edition

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maverick1: He already played The Witcher games, it's all there in the OP^

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phampire

Tales Of Maj'Eyal is pretty cool, open source, tactical rogue like rpg. I think dave mentioned it in the Dungeons of Dredmor quicklook I think.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Oh you've already played the Witcher... Damn. I guess you can quit RPGs and just wait for the 3rd one ^^ So exciting

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

But yeah, Risen 1 (not 2) and Alpha Protocol

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Time to tackle the roguelikes then. Dreadmor, Angband, Slash'em etc.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Alpha Protocol and Dark Souls.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to wind back the clock a little, you could try Buck ROgers Countdown to Doomsday and Shadowrun on the megadrive.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#28  Edited By audioBusting
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@video_game_king said:

@missacre said:

Western RPG's in general aren't that numerous. His list pretty much covers all of the major traditional DnD-based RPG's and then some. Of course, he's missing Temple of Elemental Evil, but not much else.

He doesn't have the original Deus Ex listed on there, though, which is another suggestion. It looks like a shooter but that game is way more of an RPG. Risen and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines are two other RPG's that aren't on there, but I've never actually played those games.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShockD

I'd pick Risen for you. It's combat and crafting are somewhat similar to Skyrim.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shockd said:

I'd pick Risen for you. It's combat and crafting are somewhat similar to Skyrim.

So it's a terrible and lacking game, then?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I think the OP was after Role Playing Games, not Rail Playing Games.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: I answered the question as asked in the thread title. You can't stop me. Not even death can stop me now.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scampbell

@alfmutant: It sounds like Eschalon would be right up your ally if you like old school CRPGs. It is obviously a budget RPG like Avernum but I've enjoyed the games immensely. It is a trilogy though the Last Book haven't been released yet but should be out fairly soon.

Listen to the intro and tell me you don't want to play this.

Loading Video...

alfmutant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By alfmutant

Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate. Didn't know Dark Soul was on PC too, gonna try Risen.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShockD

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

Coming from someone with Bayonetta avatar...

@alfmutant - Enjoy, but be aware that you'll encounter some difficulties too.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked risen for the most part. I would avoid the sequel though. One thing that you must know about that game is that it is better to have an idea of what you want to develop your character as before playing and where to go, because the game doesn't explain any of that. For example, monastery for mage, bandit camp for axe guy, city for sword or polearm. Once you are locked into a faction you are basically locked in.

I also liked divinity 2:ego draconis and expansion. Basically, the complete pack contains all the bug fixes, gameplay improvements and enhanced graphics. The game has ok action based combat and large explorable environments. Kingdoms of amalur reminds me of divinity 2 in a lot of ways, but KOA is more polished but more boring and the combat in KOA is smoother but less deep than in divinity 2. Its also funny and has some creative dialog. The game was overlooked but I think its pretty damn good especially in its fixed state.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you might try Drakensang: The River of Time

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shockd said:

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

What does Bayonetta have to do with Skyrim?

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First, some games I haven't seen mentioned yet:

• Inquisitor.Though I haven't played much of it yet, it seems like a very interesting RPG. Combat is vaguely like Diablo, and there is a lot of work put into the game's dialog and atmosphere.
  • Avadon: The Black Fortress. Avadon is well-designed, fun, and the sequel is releasing this year (I think). Both are on Steam, Good Old Games and the developer's own sites.
  • Recettear: an Item Shop's Tale. It's a really neat game with fantastic dialog where you are the proprieter of an item shop in a high-fantasy setting. It's on Steam.
  • Risen 2. I feel I should defend this game a bit. There are definite complains to be made against R2, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game and I've found the many complaints against it to be unwarranted. Though the combat takes a bit of time to get used to, Risen 2's setting is really fun. Haven't played much of Risen 1, but it seems good as well.

Second, some games I have seen mentioned that I also recommend:

Alpha Protocol, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, and Divinity 2 (haven't tried the other Divinity games) are all highly recommended by me.

Drakensang and Drakensang: River of Time are more difficult to recommend. They play like a clunkier version of Neverwinter Nights 2, with dialog equally clunky. They are also long games. If you're dying for more Neverwinter Nights-style games, they will do.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vampire the Masquerade - It'll need some patching. There are fan patches/mods out there. It is a great game.

Fallout: New Vegas

Anachronox

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

you know, it's interesting. Bayonetta has amazing, precise, technical, and deep gameplay. An unapologetic sense of style. And Bayonetta is determined to show you something awesome and unique with every level. All of the strengths of Bayonetta are precisely the biggest weaknesses of Skyrim. God, can you imagine Skyrim with even decent gameplay and real style? That would be something.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShockD

@tourgen said:

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

you know, it's interesting. Bayonetta has amazing, precise, technical, and deep gameplay. An unapologetic sense of style. And Bayonetta is determined to show you something awesome and unique with every level. All of the strengths of Bayonetta are precisely the biggest weaknesses of Skyrim. God, can you imagine Skyrim with even decent gameplay and real style? That would be something.

Boy I laughed a good time, thanks for that. But I guess Skyrim is just not for everybody, not for casual players for sure. Then again OP asked for an RPG, not for an action cake-walk that glows like a christmas tree...

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Missacre

@shockd said:

@tourgen said:

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

Boy I laughed a good time, thanks for that. But I guess Skyrim is just not for everybody, not for casual players for sure. Then again OP asked for an RPG, not for an action cake-walk that glows like a christmas tree...

I think Skyrim actually was marketed to casual players. It's so easy to pick up and play, and they know casuals won't play for more than an hour or two at a time, so it's perfect. They'll never get bored of it. The thing with it being so easy to play, is that it gets old real fast. There's no challenge, not even the dragon fights, no real fun in combat or crafting, and the world itself is kind of blah. Not talking about the world itself, the world's OK, I mean more like world events, and dragon fights. The whole thing just feels so uninspired and rushed.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missacre: So many critics wouldn't agree with you. It has it's difficulty setting which I believe is totally fine applying to anybody's needs. I don't agree on the hours part, Skyrim has tons of content that easily beats any other RPG on the market. But then again, I don't know, after all you said, are you saying that there are other RPGs that don't make the same "mistakes" as Skyrim? Because I seriously cannot think of any RPGs (except the classic ones) that aren't easy at some point or if they're hard - don't lack in a whole lot of other aspects.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shockd: Seriously, difficulty is not a factor for me when it comes to RPGs.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

@tourgen said:

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

@missacre said:

@shockd said:

I think Skyrim actually was marketed to casual players. It's so easy to pick up and play, and they know casuals won't play for more than an hour or two at a time, so it's perfect. They'll never get bored of it. The thing with it being so easy to play, is that it gets old real fast. There's no challenge, not even the dragon fights, no real fun in combat or crafting, and the world itself is kind of blah. Not talking about the world itself, the world's OK, I mean more like world events, and dragon fights. The whole thing just feels so uninspired and rushed.

Skyrim is basically like a "My First RPG" introduction game for people that may not be that into the genre.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers