Love Vinny and was disappointed by his showing on the PAX panel?

• 81 results
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RazielCuts

How much do we love Vinny and was disappointed by his non existence on the PAX panel? (other than brown...yeah...that means the butt secs)

Maybe he was shy or whatevs but I wanted more of the Vinster in full effect, even Ryan was trying to open Vinny up by going up to him and saying 'Hey whats up?'. I think he was more open in last PAX's but maybe thats just me.

Things changed since then? He has a Maximo baby....(he must be defeated)

Jeff was on full form though, I'm cutting 40c in a guys chest just as my gang sign from now on.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By maginnovision

I think he said enough. Him and Brad were quieter but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Could have, maybe, used more cunts from him though.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShadowConqueror

If the panel was two hours long we might have heard more out of him.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RazielCuts

I was just listening to the latest QL Mark of the Ninja and the bombast and Vinster is one of the loudest (and funniest) to get out there.

Just seemed when he has to 'do it live' he clams up :(

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

People need to relax with Vinny. I love him but he has other duties on the site and as far as the panel you can tell he was just laying low and he's a bit shy. Nothing wrong with that. There's a reason Brad went to drink before the panel, and I'm sure I'd be doing the same.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By NoobSauceG7

It was a short panel so they couldn't get around to everyone. Glad there was a long Q and A section and that Jeff told the 40 cents story. I laughed so hard at that part!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By McGhee

Well he is usually a behind the camera guy most of the time. He's a quiet comedy genius that only unleashes it on occasion.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Milkman

Disappointed with his showing? Sometimes I think people forget that these guys aren't comedians.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

No, no, no. You cannot be disappointed by him, Vinny is disappointed by you.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PillClinton

@Milkman said:

Disappointed with his showing? Sometimes I think people forget that these guys aren't comedians.

indeed. These dudes are video game nerd journos who also happen to do live shows for their rabidly loyal fan base. Keep your expectations in check, peeps!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Phatmac

The fuck is wrong with you?

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By ThePickle

@Milkman said:

This! Keep the second part in mind at all times during the Giant Bomb experience.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JasonR86

He might have been nervous. They were talking to a big audience who were hanging on their every word. It would be a bit nerve-wracking.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By The_Nubster

Dude's a dad now. I bet he hasn't had time to sit down and turn off since his son came home. PAX is that chance. He didn't want to talk much, so what? He isn't a celebrity or a rock star. So long as he isn't a cunt, I don't mind.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iamjohn

Can we go a day without one thread complaining, hand-wringing or voicing disappointment about some aspect of the site or staff? Just one fucking day? I swear to god, it seems like the past couple months have been nothing but people bitching about one thing or another - premium content, quick looks, the Bombcast is boring, Alex said this, Vinny didn't do that; don't you people have better things to do than get all bent out of shape about a video game website?

I apologize in advance for the annoyance a lack of sleep and abundance of pain pills has caused in me, but fuck all y'all regardless.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Animasta

Didn't he start having his weird ear problems or whatever at pax?

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidSwords
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Ain't nothing wrong with being quiet. Having to speak in front of what? 150-200 people can be a daunting task.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bocam

Brad (and Vinny) have said they're nervous during the PAX panels before.

@iAmJohn Why do you care about what people complain about? It doesn't affect you.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Clonedzero

man if i was on a panel like that, with hundreds of people all looking at me, listening like that. i'd freak out and have a panic attack.

just saying.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iamjohn

@Bocam: A better question is: Why do you care about what justifiable thing I choose to mock people for?

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nephrahim

I don't really get when people are upset that someone talked too much or too little in one of the bombcast things. Everyone talks as much as THEY want to.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bocam
@iAmJohn Cause I have nothing better to do at the moment.
The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By The_Nubster

@Bocam said:

@iAmJohn Cause I have nothing better to do at the moment.

This is a solid answer for literally everything.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He couldve just been really tired from filming all day and he mightve had video editing on his mind.  Its not really a big deal though.  

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RazielCuts

@iAmJohn: I made this thread at 3 o clock in the morning after a night out (which is why I repeatedly called him 'vinster' *cringe*) but yeah, this wasn't even complaining, I"M getting sick every fucking defence force cock COMPLAINING about the about of complaining that's going on. These are forums attached to a personality driven site, if things about the site yay or nay aren't allowed to talk about that then what's the point in the forums?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Baillie

@iAmJohn: You need to start looking at the context. It's pretty obvious that Vinny is his favourite staff member and was a little disappointed in not seeing more of him. I'd hardly call that complaining, more gushing. Vinny ia awesome.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dylabaloo

@RazielCuts: I feel your over-reacting. Yes, Vinny was not up to the standard that poeple would expect from typical Bombcast appearances but I'm sure the lack of sleep that having a baby involves would do that to anybody. It's just an interesting situation for him because of how unique this job is, in that it's quite emtionally demanding and has a lot of spectators that expect ( Perhaps rightfully so, if you're a paying member) excellence everytime. Just an off day in my opinion that was unfortunate enough to coincide with PAX. Also you have to take into account Vinny has more responsibility when it comes to events like this than Jeff or Ryan as his job also includes the production and equipment setup aspect.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RazielCuts

@Dylabaloo: I feel the responses to this thread have been an over reaction. It simply was 'Hey anyone else disappointed by the lack of Vinny on the GB panel?' no need for the 'he was tried' 'there's no games out' 'they just moved' defences, I get that, was just saying it was unfortunate he wasn't on his blue collar endearing A game the community love him for. There was 'no fuck giantbomb, I'm unsubbing' anger behind it. He was probably drowned out by the bigger personalities at the show ala Ryan and Jeff because they really brung it.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By damodar

Awful lot of defensiveness in here.

I agree that I wish Vinny had said more during the panel. That's in no way a diss on Vinny and doesn't need any response explaining why he was fairly quiet due to nerves or lack of sleep or whatever. It's nothing more than me saying that I always enjoy Vinbro and any opportunity to get a laugh out of his antics is a welcome one.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mind, Jeff was on fire (maybe literally if the panel went a little longer).

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By face15

I agree. Would have been nice to hear a bit more from Vinny. But nonetheless Ryan and Jeff and to a lesser extent Patrick were killing it. Really, really entertaining.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By neurotic

You could say the same thing about Brad and, to a lesser extent, Patrick. Ryan and Jeff pretty much took charge of the whole thing. Not that I'm complaining too much about that, it was a funny panel. I kinda agree though and it would've been nice if it was a little more like a Bombcast with more input from everyone.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ares42

It's pretty simple. Giantbomb only has 2 people that are really "in front of the camera" guys, Ryan and Jeff. Brad, Vinny and Patrick have more of a radio personality. There's a reason why the bombcast is such a major feature of the site, and that quick looks only show the game and not the commentators.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By meteora

Its always been my strong impression that Brad and Vinny are quieter than Jeff, Ryan and Patrick. When the panel was over and I got to meet Vinny it was an awesome experience. I think if the panel was two hours long he'd have a lot more things to say and talk about but that's just me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AlexW00d

@iAmJohn said:

Can we go a day without one thread complaining, hand-wringing or voicing disappointment about some aspect of the site or staff? Just one fucking day? I swear to god, it seems like the past couple months have been nothing but people bitching about one thing or another - premium content, quick looks, the Bombcast is boring, Alex said this, Vinny didn't do that; don't you people have better things to do than get all bent out of shape about a video game website?

I apologize in advance for the annoyance a lack of sleep and abundance of pain pills has caused in me, but fuck all y'all regardless.

I love how you're just bitching about people bitching.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Humanity

I think he was just admiring how off the handle Jeff was during that entire event.

After that one disastrous fans question when Jeff blatantly said "Ok can we have an actual question now thank you" it had me rolling.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By laserbolts

I agree the lack of backflips was disappointing.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cthomer5000

@RazielCuts said:

I was just listening to the latest QL Mark of the Ninja and the bombast and Vinster is one of the loudest (and funniest) to get out there. Just seemed when he has to 'do it live' he clams up :(

What is your problem?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RazielCuts

@cthomer5000: I don't have a 'problem' per se but if I were to I think it was pretty well summed up in that quote you mentioned.

sevenLiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sevenLiter

Along with what others have pointed out, I think the nature of the PAX panel is just not conducive to Vinny's sense of humor. It's too loud, it's too fast, and it's... dumb. I've never liked PAX - It's a frat party for game nerds.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

He was having weird inner-ear problems that made him feel like he was constantly leaning/falling that he was freaking out about. Seriously WTF is this thread.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zaccheus

Jeff and Ryan were on fire, there really wasn't room for anyone else... This thread is weird, disappointed by Vinny? Get out of here.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MideonNViscera

@Milkman said:

Or celebrities of any kind. This site is fucking weird like that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#45  Edited By Hailinel

@MideonNViscera said:

@Milkman said:

Or celebrities of any kind. This site is fucking weird like that.

It's the cost of running a personality-driven website. You get users that become far too attached to the personalities involved.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Zlimness

@Zaccheus said:

Jeff and Ryan were on fire, there really wasn't room for anyone else... This thread is weird, disappointed by Vinny? Get out of here.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

I suppose people have to find something else to rail on since there has been a flood of video content this week and next.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Laiv162560asse
@GenocidalKitten said:

@MideonNViscera: Most people watch Giant Bomb's videos for comedy, and far more than they watch actors an TV shows.

So, why's it weird that people start treating them like celebrities or comedians? Is it just a mental block that some users have where it's weird for them because it's a website?

Because they're really not celebrities or comedians. Being part of a personality-driven website is not the same as being either of those things. Being reserved and understated in a one-off public showing (or maybe a downbeat Quick Look), as a natural part of your personality, should be fine if you're just a guy who talks about videogames, whereas it would not be fine if you were a celebrity or a comedian. If people are finding stuff 'disappointing' on this basis it's because they're seeing the crew as something they're not.

On a related note I get the impression that people think it's easier to pull off being a comedian or celeb than it actually is. In actuality, comedians are so protective of their material that they sell jokes to eachother for cash. If you're a TV personality or actor of some kind, then every entertainment appearance you put in will be carefully stage-managed (not to mention well-compensated). The closest comparison to the GB crew might be stars of reality TV shows, whom people actually hold to very low entertainment standards in my experience.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dylabaloo

@RazielCuts said:

@Dylabaloo: I feel the responses to this thread have been an over reaction. It simply was 'Hey anyone else disappointed by the lack of Vinny on the GB panel?' no need for the 'he was tried' 'there's no games out' 'they just moved' defences, I get that, was just saying it was unfortunate he wasn't on his blue collar endearing A game the community love him for. There was 'no fuck giantbomb, I'm unsubbing' anger behind it. He was probably drowned out by the bigger personalities at the show ala Ryan and Jeff because they really brung it.

Perhaps. I misinterpreted the tone in your original post which led me to believe you seriously thought Vinny had "Had Changed" and I just wanted to provide some reasons for his non-typical public display. For that I apologise, that's the one major problem with the internet, unless it devolves into an emoticon fest :L