Luc Bernard Quits Video Games/Throws His Tools Out Of His Pram

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Over the last few years as a person I’ve learnt to take negative criticism and turn it into something positive. You learn from your mistakes after all. Luc Bernard, creator of PC and soon-to-be Wii game Eternity’s Child has cracked and quit the industry after his game received a string of bad reviews.

Speaking on his blog he said:

It’s been great, it’s been good, well maybe not great or good lol, trolls have won.

I thought the videogame industry was different, but no it’s actually harder and worse than any other one, I still wonder why people hate Dennis Dylack for no reason and Uwe Boll, I don’t think if people realize the psychological things it can do to people.

People love to hate for no reason, and well I’ve got enough problems in my personal life to do another game after Eternity’s Child.

Uwe Boll being of course the dude that makes movies that no one enjoys.

Luc Bernard will move into a career in graphic novels. Let’s hope no one tells him he can’t draw eh?

Now I've read interviews with Mr. Bernard on various sites (and here) and he always struck me as an arrogant and downright irritating individual. It's probably unfair of me to comment because I've never met the dude, nor do I know anything about his life, but for goodness sakes -- this whole scenario smacks me of a dude who got told he was shit and so had a strop and gave up?

EDIT: The title was meant to read "toys" by the way.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Talk about a thin-skinned wenis. Doesn't he know you don't have to read that review crap?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

If a game developer even gets in the business in the first place and doesn't know right off the bat they need to accept the possibility of getting bad reviews, they shouldn't  do it in the first place...if that is enough to make someone quit that fast, no one needs them.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Gunraidan

I'm sorry but I've been gaming for years and I have NEVER seen such a sore-sour-pussy. Originally I thought that Itagaki easily took the cake but this guy is on a whole 'nother level. First he displays his immaturity during interviews as he claims that all games now are escentially WWII or Alien themed. He makes it seem as if he is the only one doing something original within this industry. Then when the game comes out he literally emails the reviewers (Destructoid at least) and complains about the reviews and defends his game by saying just lame things like, "...the game works fine using the Keyboard it doesn't even work on a controller". And now that his game gets shit from the press and public alike he claims that they are "trolls" for not enjoying his game? What the fuck?

I mean if people didn't enjoy your game that's noone's fault but yours. I could sorta understand if the game got crapped on for being "different" like Shenmue, Digimon World, and P.N. 03 were in their day but this game isn't getting shit on from being different it's getting shit on because it trys to follow one of gamings oldest formulas and it sucks at doing it. I mean any normal developer would listen to the complaints and learn from it and apply it in their next game. Daivd Jaffee didn't start out making God of War quality games, no his first game was a Mickey Mania that was commercially successful but played like ass (according to Screwattack anyway). The company creating Prototype and that made the highly praised Incrediable Hulk Ultimate Destruction didn't start off with games of those quality, no they made those Beavis and Butthead games for the SNES and Genesis that were legendary for being so asstastic. Sure some developers "get it" right from the get go like Miyamoto, Bit-Blot, Blizzard, and Kojima but they are all very very far and few inbetween. Oh and what was his other game going to be about? The Hollocaust? And he was angry that is was controversial? No shit.

My point is that if you are going to be so paranoid and self-centered then don't bother getting into any industry. Hell is the graphic novel industry any different? You mean that industry where the die-hard fans got angry at the Spider-man movie as they counted that there was 127 things (or a similar number) that were different from the comic? The industry with the die hard otakus who don't accept anything non-Japanese or the ones that only read the ultra-niche "sophisticated" stuff and dismiss everything else as childish crap? The same industry where female readers crave the books to be realistic and emotional and if not then it is "lite reading"? You mean that industry? That form of entertainment? And you don't want any criticism like you got from the gaming industry for making an asstastic game? Have fun.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

Good post gunraidan.

Instead of trying to work to improve on another game and learn from this experience, he's just calling it quits? Lame. Even though getting criticized from a lot of people is probably not very easy to take, any one who works in the gaming industry should be prepared for it.