Mac users - connecting to a plasma television?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Calling out to my fellow Mac users.

Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but help me out because we Mac users are a more friendly crew.

I suddenly realised that I could connect my iMac and Macbook to my plasma television.  I thought how amazing some of my RTS games would be in the comfort of my loungeroom, on the big screen.  Thing is, I am not technology supersmart.  So advise me on what to do. 

This is what I do know (I think):
The connection on the Mac is a mini-DVI?
I need to get a mini-DVI plug with a suitable connection on the other end.
My television has the usual s-Video, RCA and component connections, plus one HDMI and one PC port.
The PC port has 3 rows of 5 for a connection - I assume that this is a VGA connection?

So, do I just get a VGA end to the mini-DVI and plug that in?
Is the HDMI connection irrelevant or could I get a mini-DVI to HDMI and use that?

You see how ignorant I am.  Help a brother out :P
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Hey oldshool, your best bet would be to go on MacRumors.com and ask the nerds there. I've been meaning to do this myself since I can't stream MKV files thru my xbox 360 without converting them to MP4.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By DJJoeJoe
oldschool said:
"Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but help me out because we Mac users are a more friendly crew."
Ignorant, Elitist Mac user!

:)

There are cables for most everything, and a quick Google seems to show that http://store.apple.com/ca/product/M9320G/A could be a good bet, and easiest too.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool
DJJoeJoe said:
"oldschool said:
"Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but help me out because we Mac users are a more friendly crew."
Ignorant, Elitist Mac user!

:)

There are cables for most everything, and a quick Google seems to show that http://store.apple.com/ca/product/M9320G/A could be a good bet, and easiest too.
"
Thanks.  

I'm pretty sure that this is what I am supposed to do.  I can't see the connection at the back of the screen being anything but VGA.

I can't wait to be playing Civ IV or Supreme Commander on the plasma.