#1 Posted by BrowncoatGrimm (89 posts) -

I live in the UK and was thinking about sending a few things to Giant Bomb; however I've never posted anything to the US before and was looking for any advice people might have. Are there any sort of import taxes or anything over there that I need to be aware of or work around? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

I've only done the opposite, us to uk, and it is fucking expensive. i don't remember how bad the taxes where, but you do have to fill out customs forms as such declaring what you are sending. Stuff sent back and forth to my sister in Manchester has been opened and searched  more often than not, and some rare items confiscated. They are particular about food stuffs.

#3 Posted by TheJohn (553 posts) -

Have you checked out this? 
  http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/customerservice2?catId=83900761&mediaId=122800769  

I only know the rules for shipping from Norway to the US, so I don't wanna give you wrong info, but from here it's pretty straight forward. You pay for the shipping, and that's it.

#4 Posted by BrowncoatGrimm (89 posts) -

I have, that's very helpful, however it doesn't say if I need to be careful about how things are received state side. I would I have to pay for some sort of import tax or something like that for the states? Just stuff like that I want to get clear so I don't cause any hassle.

#5 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -
@BrowncoatGrimm said:
" I have, that's very helpful, however it doesn't say if I need to be careful about how things are received state side. I would I have to pay for some sort of import tax or something like that for the states? Just stuff like that I want to get clear so I don't cause any hassle. "
No, unless you are bootleggin contraband, or electrnonics, it should all just be rung up at the register. And the guys won't have to do anything but sign for the package, and mock the UK. I recommend a jar of devonshire creme.
#6 Posted by BrowncoatGrimm (89 posts) -
@Mrnitropb:  Thank you, that's very helpful.
#7 Posted by Wraxend (551 posts) -

Send them a tin of Mushy Peas
#8 Posted by S0ndor (2715 posts) -

On rare occasions it's better to ship something off to Canada or Mexico and then to the USA from there due to the special trade agreements between those countries. All depends on the amount of stuff you are sending of course. 

Also, you might want to consider not putting GIANTBOMB on your box, as they will likely search it for explosives.

#9 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -
@S0ndor said:
" Also, you might want to consider not putting GIANTBOMB on your box, as they will likely search it for explosives. "
This. 

Although that was my favorite thing when it actually happened with a package. >>