• 52 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

This is what 'Nelson started tweeting earlier today. [I fixed this]

Larry Hryb@majornelson

"In one of the Xbox confrence rooms watching the fun unfold

Yes. We brought popcorn to our 3pm meeting http://say.ly/BFB5dvq

Well then. This meeting is running a little longer than expected

Announce a console without actually showing a console? That's one approach

Love to know what you thought of the presentation after you have a moment to think it over. I'll share my thoughts on the show this weekend

I love working in this industry. So much creativity and passion. Oh…and great games.

On the phone with @Stepto discussing the days news"

FACT: He never once mouthed, "PS4," in a tweet. ~ Point is. Either he's calm, cool and collected, and Microsoft is okay with all this. Or, Microsoft just shart their pants, kindergarten style?

Now, I truthfully don't know what the fuck Major Nelson does. I know he's a Major that crawled through Apocalypse Now' XBL Marketplace. There, he paid a whole 5 dollars to buy a Dead Space 3 avatar thing. ~ Must be rough being a Major. (Note, I don't hate 'Nelson. I still want to hear what he thought coming this week's OXM podcast. I never finish them very much anymore, but This one should be interesting.. Maybe, he's fucking boring. ~ Sometimes. Edit: Oh right, 'Nelson is Microsoft's kind of okay PR, that gets free stuff all the time for no reason, I guess. I think. http://majornelson.com/

Anyway, I'll leave with this. I did listen to an OXM podcast, way back when, and found he did a David Letterman spoof in a clown-suit, in college. ~ Enjoy!

(Go to 9:46, because I couldn't edit this right. Or just watch the whole thing, I don't care.)

#2 Posted by Jrinswand (1710 posts) -

Good lord! Those hyperlinks are bonkers!

#3 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

You're formatting got fucked brah.

#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Well that's one way to format a thread.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8364 posts) -

I don't know how to read this as I am not a robot.

#6 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -
#7 Posted by me3639 (1790 posts) -

I think it was smart marketing for Sony to hold back some of the unveil until ???? event. That way they can counter whoever drops their skirt first.

#8 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

FACT: He never once mouthed, "PS4," in a tweet. ~ Point is. Either he's calm, cool and collected, and Microsoft is okay with all this. Or, Microsoft just shart their pants, kindergarten style?

Now, I truthfully don't know what the fuck Major Nelson does. I know he's a Major that crawled through Apocalypse Now' XBL Marketplace. There, he paid a whole 5 dollars to buy a Dead Space 3 avatar thing. ~ Must be rough being a Major. (Note, I don't hate 'Nelson. I still want to hear what he thought coming this week's OXM podcast. I never finish them very much anymore, but This one should be interesting.. Maybe, he's fucking boring. ~ Sometimes. Edit: Oh right, 'Nelson is Microsoft's kind of okay PR, that gets free stuff all the time for no reason, I guess. I think.

what the fuck??

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

"Announce a console without actually showing a console? That's one approach"

So passive aggressive and stupid one can't help but smile.

#10 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

@fluxwavez: Erf.. I'm just so annoyed that Microsoft is so calm. Shots fired, and they're like, Meh?! "Gears is almost out?"

#11 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

What is going on in this thread.

#12 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3901 posts) -

Hey I can read it now!

I could be off but I don't see Senior Nelson saying anything too crazy about what the competition is doing, good or bad. The 'face' of Live is probably gonna keep pretty even keeled and he's never seemed that excitable. It would be pretty hilarious if he just went off though.

#13 Posted by TheHT (11495 posts) -
#14 Edited by xyzygy (10026 posts) -

I don't know what to think. Something tells me that they're saving their reveal for last for good reason, but something else tells me that their experience with the 360 made them too arrogant. I really want to see how they react to this. If this is it then... WHO KNOWS!?

You have to think about it: this is coming from a company who, somehow through some twisted marketing witchcraft, had more people playing multiplayer games AND paying a premium as opposed to playing a game online for free. Repeatedly and repeatedly across titles and years.

#15 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: Like, I just don't know who at Microsoft, just had their head hit the ceiling, and turned over a few tables. Punched a Zune to make it even. ~ Major Nelson is the only person I can think of that updates their twitter that often. Kaz is taking it all in stride: This is so boring, Andrew. Where are all the pie charts and graphs that Sony press conferences is known and loved for? #PlayStation2013

#16 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

@grimluck343: Oh, I messed up the edit in the post. 'Tried to embed tweets, didn't work out..

#17 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

What is going on in this thread.

Since he fixed the formatting, not much.......these tweets are tame and uninteresting.

#18 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@kerned said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Now, I truthfully don't know what the fuck Major Nelson does. I know he's a Major that crawled through Apocalypse Now' XBL Marketplace. There, he paid a whole 5 dollars to buy a Dead Space 3 avatar thing. ~ Must be rough being a Major. (Note, I don't hate 'Nelson. I still want to hear what he thought coming this week's OXM podcast. I never finish them very much anymore, but This one should be interesting.. Maybe, he's fucking boring. ~ Sometimes. Edit: Oh right, 'Nelson is Microsoft's kind of okay PR, that gets free stuff all the time for no reason, I guess. I think.

what the fuck??

I'm pretty sure that's ripped straight from wikipedia.

#19 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

WHOOOA someone from Microsoft talking about the competition

HOLD THE FUCK IGN PRESSES

Bring down the steel cage

#20 Edited by VoidProd (103 posts) -

Yeah, that one was rather silly. Will probably hit home with fanboys (I should think of a better word that sounds less derogatory), but I think most people who aren't too far in either camp will go "come on..."

I know alot of people were excited to see the new console (I know I was), but it does make sense that anything shown so far from release probably wouldn't look the same come November. And it's one more thing to look forward to on E3.

#22 Posted by Zebracal (74 posts) -

Was this supposed to be some sort of hate thread for the guy or something?

#23 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

@zebracal: Mm. I guess I couldn't think of any other Xbox PR, or anything. Who represents Xbox anymore? Don Mattrick doesn't even have a Twitter. And, Major Nelson is kind of a douche. I'm surprised that he's held the job for this long. ~ And, I look Kaz's twitter, and he's just a smooth talking cat. I just don't think Microsoft is announcing their new stuff fast enough, and this is proof that Microsoft simply doesn't care.

#24 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -
#25 Edited by MHumphreys89 (716 posts) -

Considering all of the market share Microsoft gained this generation they can be cocky but they shouldn't be.That's what Sony did with the PS3 and look at the position they're in now.

@xyzygy said:

You have to think about it: this is coming from a company who, somehow through some twisted marketing witchcraft, had more people playing multiplayer games AND paying a premium as opposed to playing a game online for free. Repeatedly and repeatedly across titles and years.

Have you ever used PSN to play a multi-player game or to download something? The experience is unreliable and slow.

#26 Edited by xyzygy (10026 posts) -

@humphreys said:

Considering all of the market share Microsoft gained this generation they can be cocky but they shouldn't be.That's what Sony did with the PS3 and look at the position they're in now.

@xyzygy said:

Have you ever used PSN to play a multi-player game or to download something? The experience is unreliable and slow.

I played a shit ton of Demon's Souls without many hitches. Mind you, the netcode for that game doesn't need to hold up against so many things at one time like a shooter does for instance though... but in terms of PSN's overall structure, especially the marketplace, yes I do agree with you there. Very slow and painful.

#27 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Didn't MS did the same back in 2005?

#28 Posted by ajamafalous (12028 posts) -

This thread.

Yeah, that's how I felt when I saw that tweet. "Really bro? Trying that hard?"

#29 Posted by mellotronrules (1217 posts) -

i don't know why people are expecting some kind of reaction. this is like coke putting out a new flavour and waiting for pepsi to have a response. THIS AIN'T AN 8-MILE FREESTYLE GUISE. (but wouldn't it be sweet if it was).

#30 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

It didn't seem arrogant, but it seemed arrogant at the same time. If you get my meaning. Like he wasn't overly dickish about it but if you just read between the lines you can quite a bit of douchebaggery out of it. I'm almost certain that MS didn't unveil the 360 at the debut conference. Instead they had a Pimp My Ride skit, some B list celebrities, The Killers, and a montage of average games. The reason, and make no mistake it's the sole reason, why the 360 sold so well is because it came out first. People always want the bright and shiny object immediately, but they're less willing to pay for two bright and shiny objects. They rushed it to shelf which is why the 360 for a time had a quite literal 100% defective rate and failure rates anywhere from 33% to 50% depending on who you asked and on what day.

#31 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4621 posts) -

i don't know why people are expecting some kind of reaction. this is like coke putting out a new flavour and waiting for pepsi to have a response. THIS AIN'T AN 8-MILE FREESTYLE GUISE. (but wouldn't it be sweet if it was).

omg a rap battle between Sony and Microsoft would be the sickest shit. Also, I agree with your previous point. Not like anyone from Microsoft is going to be like "YO FUCK DEM ASSHOLES" or anything. I feel like what he said isn't really any different than what anyone else said. In his position, it's also all you can say without hyping up the competition or starting any shit.

#32 Edited by MHumphreys89 (716 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@humphreys said:

@xyzygy said:

I played a shit ton of Demon's Souls without many hitches. Mind you, the netcode for that game doesn't need to hold up against so many things at one time like a shooter does for instance though... but in terms of PSN's overall structure, especially the marketplace, yes I do agree with you there. Very slow and painful.

In the same games with the same conditions I had stuttering and lag-spikes that didn't occur with the 360. Might have improved since. As you said, I doubt you would notice it with something like Demons' Souls.

#33 Posted by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -

One thing I hate about new console launches = fanboy wars.

*Sigh*

#34 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

Well, maybe I wasn't very clear in my first post. I don't think Xbox will respond fast enough. Apparently they're supposed to wait until GDC or something. And like y'all said, they'll pull a cheesy Pimp My Ride Event just like they did last time. Or not even, they'll pull a Cirque Du Soleil on Nick at Nite extravaganza. ~ Sony is simply taking this way too seriously, in a good way. They're saying all the right things, holding back the console reveal til Kutaragi says so at E3, while Kaz goes on Good Morning America and 'Squak Talk,' talking about bandwidth strategy. (Or whatever show I guess.) I just see them resting while Gears and more Halo and CoD DLC, take the reigns for Microsoft. I dunno.

#35 Posted by big_jon (5741 posts) -

This may not really be entirely relevant, but there are rumours of a new Halo IP being worked on, likely something for the nextbox, I mean, it could potetailly be good, I hope they have more first party stuff planned too, and some great features to match what the PS4 will apparently have.

Sony came out swinging heavy here, now what I wonder is will Microsoft be lazy like at the past 3 E3 and fuck themselves? Or do they have awesome stuff planned.

#36 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

I am curious at Microsofts reaction, there silence seems to imply that they were either taking aback by this announcement or they got something so much more awesome (in there eyes) that they don't care. Eitherway E3 is going to be very interesting.

#37 Posted by Humanity (9566 posts) -

There doesn't need to be a reaction. It's not like Microsoft saw this conference and went like "oh man, can't compete with that, lets wrap it up folks were getting out of the game industry." The new Xbox will come out regardless. Showing it sooner rather than later really does nothing for them. If anything it would benefit them to put as much time as possible between their own reveal and this conference. Right now everyone has these Sony promises fresh in their minds and ready to compare and contrast against whatever MS shows. With time, people will start to forget a lot of these bullet points and when the Xbox reveal happens you'll come to it with a fresh blank slate rather than "WHERES THE SHARE BUTTON? WHERES THE CLOUD?!"

#38 Posted by tastyhouse (111 posts) -

I'll probably own one regardless - if only for the exclusives, but I think what I'm most excited about is the not waiting 30 minutes to play agame. installing / patching games made me want to feed my ps3 to my dog.

#39 Edited by Marcsman (3217 posts) -

Major Nelson=Tool

#40 Posted by Shakey1245 (64 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: You do know that @KazHiraiCEO is a parody twitter account, right?

#41 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

@Shakey1245 Really? Mm. Well, kay. Disappointed acceptance..

#42 Posted by Pezen (1626 posts) -

Major Nelson has always been pretty open about enjoying Playstation. I remember they even spent time on their podcast talking about Uncharted.

#43 Posted by Hunter5024 (5805 posts) -

The complaints about not seeing the console seem pretty dumb to me. What the box looks like is nearly meaningless.

#44 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

The complaints about not seeing the console seem pretty dumb to me. What the box looks like is nearly meaningless.

It is dumb and I understand why Sony didnt show the thing but I was a little disappointed.

#45 Posted by Hunter5024 (5805 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

It is dumb and I understand why Sony didnt show the thing but I was a little disappointed.

Well honestly so was I. It would have been nice to have a mental image to associate with it, but some people have been overreacting to its absence.

#46 Posted by Starks94 (27 posts) -

Not showing the system only creates more buzz for E3. They know what they are doing. Besides, the internet isn't impressed by anything so who cares. I'm sure in the next decade there isn't going to be any more consoles anyway as streaming continues to change the way we consume media. I'm wondering whats going on at the GameStop headquarters right now. This could be their Blockbuster video moment

#47 Edited by Pr1mus (3949 posts) -

*Sigh*

YOUR NAME USED TO BE BLUE ASSHOLE!!!

...sorry :(

#48 Posted by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -

@pr1mus said:
@enigma777 said:

*Sigh*

YOUR NAME USED TO BE BLUE ASSHOLE!!!

...sorry :(

My name was blue cause I like the color blue. :P

#49 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

omg a rap battle between Sony and Microsoft would be the sickest shit. Also, I agree with your previous point. Not like anyone from Microsoft is going to be like "YO FUCK DEM ASSHOLES" or anything. I feel like what he said isn't really any different than what anyone else said. In his position, it's also all you can say without hyping up the competition or starting any shit.

Trust me you don't =)

#50 Posted by alternate (2713 posts) -

Given that there were no surprises (except maybe the uncertainty on if it would be 4 or 8gb GDDR5) I highly doubt anyone was panicked over this conference.

I never liked Major Dipshit but these tweets kept it pretty classy. Even the slight dig over the lack of seeing the device itself was mild.