#1 Edited by snide (2413 posts) -

OK folks...

Often people offer to help build the top slot promos we use for TNTs and while that's awesome, I couldn't figure out a way to manage it in a way that made it easy. Anyways, now that TNTs have become pretty much a regular thing and I've had some practice with Dropbox I figured we could give it a go and see what you guys come up with. Before we start though here are the details.

1. I've created a Photoshop template for TNTs. It includes some basic dos and don'ts
  2. The font used for TNT is included in the same folder.
  3. I'm using Dropbox to host and share files. You can sign up here. http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTYwOTAyOTA5
  4. After I invite the first 3 email addresses to the folder, I'd recommend you ask someone who already has access for an invite. I likely won't have time in the next couple weeks to check that many PMs!
  5. You should post your finished promo in the Drafts folder under that weeks TNT date with your username (or anon if you're so inclined) added to the end. You are welcome to add them to this thread as well.

One last note. Just because we get promos for that week does not guarantee that I'll use them. If they are not up to snuff or in some way don't fit within the standards above I'll likely just make my own (I doubt that will happen, you guys are great at this). Also, if I see anyone MAKING FUN of anyone's work I will cancel this experiment immediately. When I was 15 all my artwork had starry backgrounds and it looked like dogshit, but the process of trying to make things that I knew would be seen really helped me develop my skills. I'd like people to feel welcome in testing their abilities and not ridiculed for trying something new.

What do you guys get out of this? Well, outside of some healthy competition and recognition I'll do my best to critique people's work when they ask for it and suggest ways to improve their skills. I can't promise to answer everything, but I'll jump in as I can.

OK. Now 3 people send me a PM with your email and note in this thread that you sent it to me so that others can contact you instead!

Good Luck!

UPDATE: This is now shared by 6 users. Ask around in this thread if you need access and someone should be able to help you out!

Info from Ryan on banners after new hompage:

Hey guys, Ryan with some details on the new TNT promos. We'll be abandoning the wide promo unit in favor of something that meets the same dimensions as our player window: 640x360. Here's what that'll look like on the front door.

There will be a general TNT text treatment, plus a little descriptive text, on the right-hand side, so you need not worry about those details. Feel free to include the game's logo (if available) in the main image, though this is not a prerequisite. Also worth noting that the countdown timer in the lower left corner of the image will be dynamically overlayed, so it's probably smart to keep any critical bits of imagery out of that area.

That's the basics, Dave and I will be keeping an extra-close eye on this thread if you've got any questions or are looking for some specific design feedback.

#2 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Get shoppin!

#3 Posted by Belonpopo (1823 posts) -

it looks like this:  

Quake: We are playing it.

#4 Edited by Berezov (504 posts) -

Hmm I'll get right on it. 

EDIT: OK this is a joke but I couldn't help myself after the Super Live Live Show Live ads that have been popping up on the site lately. I'll submit my real one later. 

#5 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -
@snide said:
" Also, if I see anyone MAKING FUN of anyone's work I will cancel this experiment immediately. "
Hopefully this doesn't happen; all the other photoshop threads have stayed civil and fun.
#6 Posted by Pkshields (810 posts) -

PM Sent! I've got some free time, may as well have a go.

#7 Posted by Sweep (8927 posts) -

Onit like sonic :D

#8 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @snide said:
" Also, if I see anyone MAKING FUN of anyone's work I will cancel this experiment immediately. "
Hopefully this doesn't happen; all the other photoshop threads have stayed civil and fun. "
I just know that the skills here run the gamut and personally I've been at all levels over my career, so I just want to let people know this isn't so much about winning each week as it is taking a real world example and trying to test out your skills. Promos (especially horizontal ones like these) can be difficult.
#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

Buzz Clik wins. 

/thread

#10 Edited by Jugg (31 posts) -

Ill give it a shot

Sent PM

#11 Posted by EpicSteve (6494 posts) -

Incorporate a shirtless Fatal1ty joke.

#12 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Buzz Clik wins.  /thread "
Pretty much. Why bother? Buzz_Clik should just get hired to do this stuff.
#13 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @snide said:
Hopefully this doesn't happen; all the other photoshop threads have stayed civil and fun. "
Very true. Everyone on Giant Bomb seem pretty supportive of eachothers' work.
#14 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

I would need a picture of all the GB crew topless in order to perform my magic here. 

And make a banner

#15 Posted by I_love_Eva_Braun (481 posts) -

Wish I had the skill to make one,but here's hoping for some awesome promo images

#16 Posted by Max_Antrax (107 posts) -

PM Send, Looking Forward too photoshop

#17 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
" I would need a picture of all the GB crew topless in order to perform my magic here.  And make a banner "
I lol'd.
#18 Posted by PixelGorilla (36 posts) -

So, I'm totally down for this but can the promo be animated? Because I have a pretty solid idea in my mind that involves going back the internet during the 1990's for inspiration.

#19 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

I PM'd Dave.

Am I doin' it right?

#20 Posted by Max_Antrax (107 posts) -
@CowMuffins: yeah i guess your doing it right, right?
#21 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

I would do it, but I doubt anyone wants a shaky microsoft paint promo

#22 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
@PixelGorilla said:
" So, I'm totally down for this but can the promo be animated? Because I have a pretty solid idea in my mind that involves going back the internet during the 1990's for inspiration. "
No animation.
#23 Edited by HallwayGiant (108 posts) -

If one of the lucky six could drop me a PM I'd much appreciate it, definitely interested.

Edit: Didn't realize a email address was needed, woops.

#24 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
Pretty much. Why bother? Buzz_Clik should just get hired to do this stuff. "
I think we should give other people a chance. Buzz_Clik is already doing stuff for the Luchazine. Nobody else is going to get the recognition or practice they deserve if people automatically want to turn to one person every time.
#25 Posted by BD (253 posts) -

Ok got an invite from Dave, PM me with your email used for dropbox if you want an invite to the folder. Hes uploading some of the stuff now.

#26 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -
@RandomHero666 said:
" I would do it, but I doubt anyone wants a shaky microsoft paint promo "
That's exactly what I want. 

@natetodamax: I'm not necessarily voting that I want him to do it. I'm just saying that if he does submit something (which seems likely), yo, it'll win.
#27 Posted by Jugg (31 posts) -

Also got invite from Dave, send PM's if you want in.

#28 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

Someone just photoshop the Giant Bomb team looking like quake mods.

#29 Posted by Digitalistic (23 posts) -

Are we allowed to do more than one?

#30 Posted by Binman88 (3689 posts) -

Great idea. I'd love to show off my design skills, but cannot be bothered getting a separate email account to share for dropbox (I refuse to go through that many hoops in order to do work for no pay!). Wouldn't it have made more sense to just host the files on Giant Bomb and let us post our results in the thread?

#31 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -
@Digitalistic said:
" Are we allowed to do more than one? "
I hope not or I'm boned.
#32 Posted by Ramyun (664 posts) -
@Berezov: Hahaha man I am loving this thread already!! Great job!
#33 Posted by Berezov (504 posts) -

Whereabouts is the drafts folder? I'm not exactly sure where to submit our image.

#34 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

PM me with your email if you want the files.

#35 Edited by Jugg (31 posts) -

I added a drafts folder inside the TNT Folder

#36 Posted by Gabriel (4067 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" Incorporate a shirtless Fatal1ty joke. "
Requirement. 
#37 Edited by CletusTheFoetus (148 posts) -

This looks like fun, cant wait to see the results!

#38 Posted by B0nd07 (1700 posts) -

Can someone hit me up with an invite?  Thanks in advance.

#39 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

Very cool idea, can't wait to see what people post up and if this continues and I finally get photoshop I will try my hand and making some of these.

#40 Posted by Daveyo520 (6862 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
I agree :P
#41 Posted by Digitalistic (23 posts) -
 My Contribution
#42 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

How much nudity is allowed?

#43 Posted by Jugg (31 posts) -

My try so far. May edit it some more tomorrow but that is what I have.
#44 Posted by jarryd (255 posts) -

both of these so far are pretty great, keep it up guys

#45 Edited by RobotHamster (4175 posts) -

Ehhh... isn't my greatest but I threw together quick and I wanted to get something in. 

#46 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

I want to see the TNT promo (that you see on I love Mondays) but with the bombcrew as they were when quake came out.

#47 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

Ok, guys. I don't think you need to be putting your .PSD's in the Dropbox.

#48 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Buzz will win if he enters. Why bother trying?!

#49 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -
@Jugg said:
"
My try so far. May edit it some more tomorrow but that is what I have. "
Pretty cool!
#50 Posted by B0nd07 (1700 posts) -

My entry.