Make Your Favorite Modern Gaming Scenes Retro Style

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

While making this (below) I realized that it would be so much neater to recreate a modern gaming scene in this style so I rushed through it and posted this.  So yea, basically recreate something, say the "hot" scene from MGS4 but in this pixelated style.  I suggest using bitmap and shrinking the screen size incredibly small.  And I mean very small.    I guess we can have a competition. 

No Caption Provided

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By danielkempster

Nice idea, Smug. I'll be back with my contribution a little later. Need to think of something to do first.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

What the fuck is that?

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By RedSox8933
Pie said:
"I thought you'd buggered off for a few months."
Do you post this in everyone of Smug's threads? Stop being an asshole.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ
SmugDarkLoser said:
"While making this (below) I realized that it would be so much neater to recreate a modern gaming scene in this style so I rushed through it and posted this.  So yea, basically recreate something, say the "hot" scene from MGS4 but in this pixelated style.  I suggest using bitmap and shrinking the screen size incredibly small.  And I mean very small.    I guess we can have a competition. 
No Caption Provided
"
I thought the art you put up last time was actually kind of interesting (those FFVII characters) but I'm going to be honeest. This is kind of bad. You should probably take more time with it, especially writing out "competition", because this just screams "did it in 10-15 minutes". What program did you do this in?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

Cool idea, but what is it?

Also, this thread seems like the kind of thread that's open for someone to post up something from Rapelay in 8-bit...so you MIGHT want to throw some restrictions on this...
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
AgentJ said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"While making this (below) I realized that it would be so much neater to recreate a modern gaming scene in this style so I rushed through it and posted this.  So yea, basically recreate something, say the "hot" scene from MGS4 but in this pixelated style.  I suggest using bitmap and shrinking the screen size incredibly small.  And I mean very small.    I guess we can have a competition. 
No Caption Provided
"
I thought the art you put up last time was actually kind of interesting (those FFVII characters) but I'm going to be honeest. This is kind of bad. You should probably take more time with it, especially writing out "competition", because this just screams "did it in 10-15 minutes". What program did you do this in?
"
And I sort of said that's what I did....
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ

It'd be a good idea to make a, you know, good one, as an example, because user versions are going to be quicker and crappier.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
AgentJ said:
"It'd be a good idea to make a, you know, good one, as an example, because user versions are going to be quicker and crappier."

not necessarily, look at the retro box art thread
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ
SmugDarkLoser said:
"AgentJ said:
"It'd be a good idea to make a, you know, good one, as an example, because user versions are going to be quicker and crappier."
not necessarily, look at the retro box art thread"
Yeah, the originals in that thread were decent. Look this doesn't need to be an arguement. I recommend working on that example a little bit longer and reposting it. You certainly dont have to, but i don't think you'll get anything worthwhile. BTW do you know of a program for making 2D art?
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
AgentJ said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"AgentJ said:
Yeah, the originals in that thread were decent. Look this doesn't need to be an arguement. I recommend working on that example a little bit longer and reposting it. You certainly dont have to, but i don't think you'll get anything worthwhile. BTW do you know of a program for making 2D art?
"

I'm working on one right now, that wasn't suppose to really be an example, just more so the era.
I'm actually working on a FF13 one,.

Not sure how it'll come out, never did this before.  Started over several times.  Here's a tip--- make it 2d, don't try to do 3d  retro style.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
SmugDarkLoser said:
"AgentJ said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"AgentJ said:
"
I'm working on one right now, that wasn't suppose to really be an example, just more so the era.I'm actually working on a FF13 one,.Not sure how it'll come out, never did this before.  Started over several times.  Here's a tip--- make it 2d, don't try to do 3d  retro style. "
If you dont have an alternative, i'd recommend using microsoft excel. first change the size of each individual rectangle so that they become squares, then color in the pixels like in 8 bit games, then make the grids invisible, then press the prnt screen button and wallah: retro game art.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
SmugDarkLoser said:
No Caption Provided
"

What is this picture?
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pie

The hot scene from Metal gear solid 4?

Edit: Sorry i read that all wrong.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Still working.
I figured out how to do it... but now I just realized that I'm not doing it right.
I'm basically pixelizing it instead of making it into a retro looking game.

Fudge.
Guess I'll finish this and then try to do a different one

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Anyway, sort of related, but not really, I made this test video a bit ago.  Not great, but just a test for timing

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pie

Mildly confused?

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers