Making online friends

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By markini6

I started writing this topic several times, trying to avoid rambling but eventually doing nothing but that. So instead, I'll be direct (he says in the second sentence already and before an ever approaching colon) : none of my friends play games and I don't have any online friends (heartbreaking violin music ensues).

Whilst I was in France teaching for the 3rd year of my degree, my family moved and so now, home for the summer, I'm currently at least 2 hours away from any uni friends, and even further from all old school friends. So that's one of the reasons I want some e-buddies.

Secondly, with my screw-you-teaching-assistant-money, I built a PC for games. And I love me some 1080p/60fps single player malarkey, but I also have a TONNE of multiplayer games (and yet to be bought ones that I'd love to play in co-op - i.e. Monaco) that are begging to be played with non strangers. So, second reason.

I joined the GB Steam group but to be honest it seems pretty dead, the last post being sometime in mid-May (due to exam season?). I installed the mumble thing, and think I put in everything right for the GB group but tbh it's all quite new to me.

So, a question or two pour vous (that's French (but got the thrill from the rhyme)), giantbombers (that's not): How do you make friends online? What's the GB PC gamers social etiquette for these proposals of good times and camaraderie?

(brackets, bitches)

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Try joining this group, they set up gamenights for specific games pretty often (like yesterday I got a notification for Arma 3).

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just find a server I like, usually a local one and play regularly there. I know that's becoming increasingly difficult with a lot of games on the PC having some form of matchmaking, but hey Red Orchestra 2 just released the Japanese expansion and Counter Strike is always good for a laugh. I'd also recommend always using the in game chat, or join the clan/server Vent/TS/Mumble server. Giantbomb also has quite the network of groups, guilds and such.

The biggest issue is you generally can't just snap your fingers and be the bestest online buddies with people, like a real friendship it takes a bit of prodding. I dunno, maybe I'm not the best one to ask. I'm a jerk.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

There's a Giant Bomb PC gaming IRC somewhere (I think this is it). Like any Giant Bomb IRC ever, a bunch of idiots hang around there and chat about dumb stuff and sometimes arrange to play games together (or at least used to). I don't think you pointed out where your home is, but a significant amount of them are from Europe so your mid-European timezone is totally compatible with a lot of people that frequent the chat room (or at least used to).

In case I haven't made it obvious enough yet, I should confess that I haven't visited that IRC in quite a while, so I'm not sure how active it is these days. I know the Giant Bomb PC Gaming Hub Steam group still organizes some game nights from time to time.

Also checking out this thread might help, if you still haven't done that (sounds like you have though).

Other than that, you can PM me your Steam ID (or publicly share it if you're OK with that) and I'll add you on Steam and we could totally play some TF2 some time.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail
@peasantabuse said:

Try joining this group, they set up gamenights for specific games pretty often (like yesterday I got a notification for Arma 3).

Let's be honest: it's just Arma and Chivalry.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By markini6

@snail: Steam ID is Rambolambo1423, though I am truly awful at TF2

Avatar image for matthewthebeast
MatthewTheBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@snail said:
@peasantabuse said:

Let's be honest: it's just Arma and Chivalry.

Yep, last time I checked it was pretty much that. Also "lol", Chivalry, M&B had me first, not that fond of Chiv, but whatever.

Anyways, the IRC channel that was mentioned is pretty much your best bet OP.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I wish I had a gaming PC again. I need my TF2 action back!
Going back on topic. Uhhh I don't know, I usually don't talk to people online based on my xbox live time people are jerks.