• 65 results
Edited 7 months, 14 days ago

Poll: Male Character of the Generation: FINALS (528 votes)

Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect) 48%
Francis York Morgan (Deadly Premonition) 52%

(Hub Thread)

This is it, folks! The finals for the Characters of the Generation are upon us! (And I'm sure some of you can't wait for these polls to just be over.) The final two enter, but only one can win. Polls close at 9PM Pacific on Friday, December 13th.

#1 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

You're gonna vote, right Zach?

#2 Posted by JayEH (518 posts) -

I haven't been keeping up with this but how the hell did Garrus make it this far? He's cool and all but I find it odd he's in the finals.

Anyway I voted for Zach.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

How Francis York Morgan got this far is utterly and completely beyond me. GARRUS!

#4 Edited by YI_Orange (1129 posts) -

Geralt should be here, but Garrus is better than York.

#5 Posted by Jeust (10480 posts) -

York all the way!

#6 Posted by Flappy (2131 posts) -

York = Best Detective.

#7 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

York had some real, genuine character that Shepard just can't compete with. I like Mass Effect, but Shepard does not have the spark or the charm that York has.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36026 posts) -

I honestly don't know what to vote to troll the community. I'm at a loss on this one.

#9 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1173 posts) -

York all the way.

#10 Posted by TheHT (10891 posts) -

What the hell, I'll vote for York.

#11 Posted by Dalai (6997 posts) -

I kinda have to vote for York now. Garrus, at least you were a worthy opponent.

#12 Edited by Disaya (283 posts) -
Look at this man, you gotta go with York.

#13 Posted by Sinusoidal (1293 posts) -

Really Giant Bomb community? Garrus for character of the generation? The first time I saw his name in these threads, I couldn't even remember who he was. York I can understand. He's endearingly crazy and an icon around here from the endurance run. Garrus.... I don't know, I can't remember anything about him except that he's an alien. Disappointing.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14563 posts) -

Voting for NOT the mass effect character.

#15 Edited by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -
#16 Edited by Flappy (2131 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

Really Giant Bomb community? Garrus for character of the generation? The first time I saw his name in these threads, I couldn't even remember who he was. York I can understand. He's endearingly crazy and an icon around here from the endurance run. Garrus.... I don't know, I can't remember anything about him except that he's an alien. Disappointing.

IIRC, he has three testicles. Better?

@demoskinos said:

Didn't you get the memo, Demo? GB is all about five things:

1. Mass Effect
  2. Sony
  3. Shittin' on Nintendo consoles
  4. Chie
  5. Persona 4
#17 Edited by Pessh (2454 posts) -

Ugh, this poll needs recalibrating.

#18 Posted by LackingSaint (1772 posts) -

Don't blame other people that you don't pay attention to characters in games. Garrus is an emotionally distant ex-officer of the law who values justice and left official channels because he felt it was not the right way of carrying it out. Through his interactions with Shepard, he discovers the importance of moral greys along with becoming a lover/good friend of the Commander, beginning to open up with a few more anecdotes about his past life. We learn that this emotional distance he initially had comes from a fear that he's just going to screw everything up, that makes sense considering the tragic death of his co-workers while he was leading a vigilante group (oh, did I mention he lead a vigilante group? Yeah.) He's also a huge nerd.

#19 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

I can't believe it! This is fantastic!

#20 Posted by Gatehouse (581 posts) -

Oh damn it, I love both these guys. Garrus wanted to charge down heaven with me and was a ridiculously cool alien badass, but York is so damn unique to the medium. So just for that, I'm going to go for York. I've not heard another character go on about the merits of Ladyhawke or the psychological side of Tom and Jerry cartoons in a game before or since.

#21 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

I....don't even care at this point.

#22 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Mr. Francis York Morgan

#23 Posted by jimmyfenix (3829 posts) -

@flappy said:

@sinusoidal said:

IIRC, he has three testicles. Better?

@demoskinos said:

1. Mass Effect
  2. Sony
  4. Chie
  5. Persona 4

You forgot M$

#24 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2316 posts) -

Even though I wanted to like him more, Garrus just isn't an interesting character. The personality traits are there, but they don't blend into a really memorable characterization. At least not in the first two games. I can't think of many good moments with him.

#25 Edited by SunBroZak (1021 posts) -

You're gonna vote, right Zak?

Of course.

#26 Edited by hermes (1376 posts) -

@flappy said:

1. Mass Effect
  2. Sony
  4. Chie
  5. Persona 4

You forgot about Demon's Souls and, apparently, games that appear in endurance runs.

#27 Posted by Sinusoidal (1293 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

Don't blame other people that you don't pay attention to characters in games. Garrus is an emotionally distant ex-officer of the law who values justice and left official channels because he felt it was not the right way of carrying it out. Through his interactions with Shepard, he discovers the importance of moral greys along with becoming a lover/good friend of the Commander, beginning to open up with a few more anecdotes about his past life. We learn that this emotional distance he initially had comes from a fear that he's just going to screw everything up, that makes sense considering the tragic death of his co-workers while he was leading a vigilante group (oh, did I mention he lead a vigilante group? Yeah.) He's also a huge nerd.

None of which you find out if you just leave him on the Normandy and don't use him because his abilities don't fit in your team. Don't blame me for ignoring him when the game itself gave me the perfectly valid option to.

Still, that sounds pretty cool. Maybe I would have bothered to play the third game if Garrus was the main instead of Shepard. Too bad he was just another supporting character in a cast of many.

#28 Posted by erhard (388 posts) -

Man, Garrus? Why is he in the finals?

York should win.

#29 Posted by Petiew (1332 posts) -

He has a big dick too.

Voted for York!

#30 Edited by Noblenerf (311 posts) -

I wonder how many people voting for Garrus have played Deadly Premonition or seen its Endurance Run...

#31 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -

I'm really sorry, Garrus. It has to be York, right Zach?

#32 Posted by Noblenerf (311 posts) -

@pessh said:

Ugh, this poll needs recalibrating.

It has been recalibrated and Garrus is now where he belongs. In second place, where he always has been and should be.

#33 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Neither of these.

#34 Posted by Nux (2305 posts) -

It will be a serious crime if York doesn't win.

#35 Posted by Random45 (1051 posts) -

How in the WORLD did either of these characters make it to the finals? This is ridiculous.

That being said, FUCKIN FRANCIS. YORK. MORGAN.

#36 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Garrus is cool and all, but York has a whole fucking game to show off how weird and great he is. Which I guess is counterbalanced by Mass Effect having a much larger audience. Oh well.

Dale Cooper > The Punisher.

#37 Edited by Brendan (7687 posts) -

I dont think either of these fine gentlemen is the male character of the generation, but I picked Garrus for all the good times we had together.

#38 Posted by dr_mantas (1799 posts) -

Neither is male character of this video game generation.

But I'm pretty sure one Francis York Morgan could be Giant Bomb's male character of the generation. Doesn't get much more character than that.

#39 Posted by RonGalaxy (2873 posts) -

Troll Poll

#40 Edited by Tom_omb (337 posts) -

@grissefar:

I was seriously wondering if Deadly Premonition is some essential game I overlooked if this York character is so fantastic.... then I saw this video. You all are assholes... maybe I'll seek out that endurance run, though.

#41 Posted by LackingSaint (1772 posts) -

@lackingsaint said:

@sinusoidal said:

None of which you find out if you just leave him on the Normandy and don't use him because his abilities don't fit in your team. Don't blame me for ignoring him when the game itself gave me the perfectly valid option to.

Still, that sounds pretty cool. Maybe I would have bothered to play the third game if Garrus was the main instead of Shepard. Too bad he was just another supporting character in a cast of many.

Isn't that.. kind of the same thing as not paying attention to his character? Like, I never used Mordin in ME2 but I still went over and chatted to him after every mission to learn more about his character. Besides, aside from the first game it really doesn't tactically matter which squadmates you bring, they all have their own pros and cons and generally even out regardless of your choices. I find it's way better for the narrative just to bring people based on who would have more to say about the mission, rather than who might make you 5% more effective in the mission. That's up to the player though, obviously.

For the record, I highly recommend ME3 if you actually enjoyed any of the previous games. It's flawed but with the DLC it's a great experience for fans.

#42 Edited by groin (838 posts) -

I can relate to a character that is very particular about biscuits.

#43 Posted by csl316 (8124 posts) -

Too difficult. Garrus came a long way over the course of the trilogy. But York, man.

Hmm...

#44 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

Wow, Garrus. Unexpected but kinda cool.

#45 Edited by FLStyle (4581 posts) -

As a Default Male Shepard, Garrus & Tali player throughout the trilogy, I have to back my brother from another specie's mother.

#46 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3787 posts) -

I voted Garrus but then I've never played DP or watched the ER so I'm most likely missing out. So I guess I can accept a York win. I guess. Garrus is still better.

#47 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1839 posts) -

I voted Garrus but then I've never played DP or watched the ER so I'm most likely missing out. So I guess I can accept a York win. I guess. Garrus is still better.

How can you say Garrus is better when you already admitted you don't know anything about York? YOU'RE BREAKING THIS HEART OF MINE IN TWO AGHHGH

#48 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2945 posts) -

If you all had just listened to me and voted Geralt we would have had a real CotG, the Witchaaaa.

#49 Posted by Random45 (1051 posts) -

@tom_omb said:

@grissefar:

I was seriously wondering if Deadly Premonition is some essential game I overlooked if this York character is so fantastic.... then I saw this video. You all are assholes... maybe I'll seek out that endurance run, though.

The story of the game is actually pretty good, but everything else is bad, REALLY bad. So bad that it stops being bad and becomes the best thing to ever exist on this Earth. Though the gameplay is just bad bad, not bad good.

#50 Posted by Pezen (1562 posts) -

Garrus. That's my bro. We bro out. Bromance. Dude, we've been through some shit together. As much as York is a complete bat shit crazy character, I would never bro out with him. He has jerky movements and whenever he's silent for a while in thought, there's this echoing saxophone somewhere in the room.

Man, this just makes me want to play through the Mass Effect games again just to hang out with Garrus.