• 65 results
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

Poll Male Character of the Generation: FINALS (528 votes)

Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect) 48%
Francis York Morgan (Deadly Premonition) 52%

(Hub Thread)

This is it, folks! The finals for the Characters of the Generation are upon us! (And I'm sure some of you can't wait for these polls to just be over.) The final two enter, but only one can win. Polls close at 9PM Pacific on Friday, December 13th.

• 
Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Nekroskop

You're gonna vote, right Zach?

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't been keeping up with this but how the hell did Garrus make it this far? He's cool and all but I find it odd he's in the finals.

Anyway I voted for Zach.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How Francis York Morgan got this far is utterly and completely beyond me. GARRUS!

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By YI_Orange

Geralt should be here, but Garrus is better than York.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

York all the way!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

York = Best Detective.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

York had some real, genuine character that Shepard just can't compete with. I like Mass Effect, but Shepard does not have the spark or the charm that York has.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I honestly don't know what to vote to troll the community. I'm at a loss on this one.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

York all the way.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What the hell, I'll vote for York.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I kinda have to vote for York now. Garrus, at least you were a worthy opponent.

Disaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Disaya
Look at this man, you gotta go with York.
Look at this man, you gotta go with York.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really Giant Bomb community? Garrus for character of the generation? The first time I saw his name in these threads, I couldn't even remember who he was. York I can understand. He's endearingly crazy and an icon around here from the endurance run. Garrus.... I don't know, I can't remember anything about him except that he's an alien. Disappointing.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Voting for NOT the mass effect character.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder
Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Flappy

@sinusoidal said:

Really Giant Bomb community? Garrus for character of the generation? The first time I saw his name in these threads, I couldn't even remember who he was. York I can understand. He's endearingly crazy and an icon around here from the endurance run. Garrus.... I don't know, I can't remember anything about him except that he's an alien. Disappointing.

IIRC, he has three testicles. Better?

@demoskinos said:

Didn't you get the memo, Demo? GB is all about five things:

1. Mass Effect
  2. Sony
  3. Shittin' on Nintendo consoles
  4. Chie
  5. Persona 4
Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Pessh

Ugh, this poll needs recalibrating.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Don't blame other people that you don't pay attention to characters in games. Garrus is an emotionally distant ex-officer of the law who values justice and left official channels because he felt it was not the right way of carrying it out. Through his interactions with Shepard, he discovers the importance of moral greys along with becoming a lover/good friend of the Commander, beginning to open up with a few more anecdotes about his past life. We learn that this emotional distance he initially had comes from a fear that he's just going to screw everything up, that makes sense considering the tragic death of his co-workers while he was leading a vigilante group (oh, did I mention he lead a vigilante group? Yeah.) He's also a huge nerd.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

I can't believe it! This is fantastic!

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh damn it, I love both these guys. Garrus wanted to charge down heaven with me and was a ridiculously cool alien badass, but York is so damn unique to the medium. So just for that, I'm going to go for York. I've not heard another character go on about the merits of Ladyhawke or the psychological side of Tom and Jerry cartoons in a game before or since.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I....don't even care at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mr. Francis York Morgan

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

@sinusoidal said:

IIRC, he has three testicles. Better?

@demoskinos said:

1. Mass Effect
  2. Sony
  4. Chie
  5. Persona 4

You forgot M$

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Even though I wanted to like him more, Garrus just isn't an interesting character. The personality traits are there, but they don't blend into a really memorable characterization. At least not in the first two games. I can't think of many good moments with him.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emfromthesea

You're gonna vote, right Zak?

Of course.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By hermes

@flappy said:

1. Mass Effect
  2. Sony
  4. Chie
  5. Persona 4

You forgot about Demon's Souls and, apparently, games that appear in endurance runs.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

Don't blame other people that you don't pay attention to characters in games. Garrus is an emotionally distant ex-officer of the law who values justice and left official channels because he felt it was not the right way of carrying it out. Through his interactions with Shepard, he discovers the importance of moral greys along with becoming a lover/good friend of the Commander, beginning to open up with a few more anecdotes about his past life. We learn that this emotional distance he initially had comes from a fear that he's just going to screw everything up, that makes sense considering the tragic death of his co-workers while he was leading a vigilante group (oh, did I mention he lead a vigilante group? Yeah.) He's also a huge nerd.

None of which you find out if you just leave him on the Normandy and don't use him because his abilities don't fit in your team. Don't blame me for ignoring him when the game itself gave me the perfectly valid option to.

Still, that sounds pretty cool. Maybe I would have bothered to play the third game if Garrus was the main instead of Shepard. Too bad he was just another supporting character in a cast of many.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Garrus? Why is he in the finals?

York should win.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has a big dick too.

Voted for York!

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By noblenerf

I wonder how many people voting for Garrus have played Deadly Premonition or seen its Endurance Run...

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really sorry, Garrus. It has to be York, right Zach?

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pessh said:

Ugh, this poll needs recalibrating.

It has been recalibrated and Garrus is now where he belongs. In second place, where he always has been and should be.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither of these.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It will be a serious crime if York doesn't win.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How in the WORLD did either of these characters make it to the finals? This is ridiculous.

That being said, FUCKIN FRANCIS. YORK. MORGAN.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garrus is cool and all, but York has a whole fucking game to show off how weird and great he is. Which I guess is counterbalanced by Mass Effect having a much larger audience. Oh well.

Dale Cooper > The Punisher.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Brendan

I dont think either of these fine gentlemen is the male character of the generation, but I picked Garrus for all the good times we had together.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Neither is male character of this video game generation.

But I'm pretty sure one Francis York Morgan could be Giant Bomb's male character of the generation. Doesn't get much more character than that.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Troll Poll

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Tom_omb

@grissefar:

I was seriously wondering if Deadly Premonition is some essential game I overlooked if this York character is so fantastic.... then I saw this video. You all are assholes... maybe I'll seek out that endurance run, though.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lackingsaint said:

@sinusoidal said:

None of which you find out if you just leave him on the Normandy and don't use him because his abilities don't fit in your team. Don't blame me for ignoring him when the game itself gave me the perfectly valid option to.

Still, that sounds pretty cool. Maybe I would have bothered to play the third game if Garrus was the main instead of Shepard. Too bad he was just another supporting character in a cast of many.

Isn't that.. kind of the same thing as not paying attention to his character? Like, I never used Mordin in ME2 but I still went over and chatted to him after every mission to learn more about his character. Besides, aside from the first game it really doesn't tactically matter which squadmates you bring, they all have their own pros and cons and generally even out regardless of your choices. I find it's way better for the narrative just to bring people based on who would have more to say about the mission, rather than who might make you 5% more effective in the mission. That's up to the player though, obviously.

For the record, I highly recommend ME3 if you actually enjoyed any of the previous games. It's flawed but with the DLC it's a great experience for fans.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By groin

I can relate to a character that is very particular about biscuits.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too difficult. Garrus came a long way over the course of the trilogy. But York, man.

Hmm...

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wow, Garrus. Unexpected but kinda cool.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By FLStyle

As a Default Male Shepard, Garrus & Tali player throughout the trilogy, I have to back my brother from another specie's mother.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Garrus but then I've never played DP or watched the ER so I'm most likely missing out. So I guess I can accept a York win. I guess. Garrus is still better.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By artelinarose

I voted Garrus but then I've never played DP or watched the ER so I'm most likely missing out. So I guess I can accept a York win. I guess. Garrus is still better.

How can you say Garrus is better when you already admitted you don't know anything about York? YOU'RE BREAKING THIS HEART OF MINE IN TWO AGHHGH

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48  Edited By GERALTITUDE

If you all had just listened to me and voted Geralt we would have had a real CotG, the Witchaaaa.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb said:

@grissefar:

I was seriously wondering if Deadly Premonition is some essential game I overlooked if this York character is so fantastic.... then I saw this video. You all are assholes... maybe I'll seek out that endurance run, though.

The story of the game is actually pretty good, but everything else is bad, REALLY bad. So bad that it stops being bad and becomes the best thing to ever exist on this Earth. Though the gameplay is just bad bad, not bad good.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garrus. That's my bro. We bro out. Bromance. Dude, we've been through some shit together. As much as York is a complete bat shit crazy character, I would never bro out with him. He has jerky movements and whenever he's silent for a while in thought, there's this echoing saxophone somewhere in the room.

Man, this just makes me want to play through the Mass Effect games again just to hang out with Garrus.