Posted by Hailinel (22697 posts) 4 months, 18 days ago

Male Character of the Generation: Round 2, Group 2 (282 votes)

Nathan Drake (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) 19%
Victor Sullivan (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) 2%
Franklin Clinton (Grand Theft Auto V) 0%
Lamar Davis (Grand Theft Auto V) 1%
Trevor Phillips (Grand Theft Auto V) 4%
Vaas Montenegro (Far Cry 3) 5%
Andrew Ryan (BioShock) 6%
Atlas (BioShock) 1%
Francis York Morgan (Deadly Premonition) 24%
Johnny Gat (Saints Row) 1%
Keith David (Saints Row IV) 1%
Ezio Auditore (Assassin's Creed II) 13%
John Marston (Red Dead Redemption) 14%
Jackie Estacado (The Darkness) 1%
Solaire of Astora (Dark Souls) 6%
Professoro Layton (Professor Layton and the Curious Village) 3%

(Hub Thread)

The second round of voting on the male character of the generation has begun! There are thirty-two contestants in this round, and in the end, it will be whittled down to six. The top three in each thread will move on to the semi-finals. As before, ties for third will be allowed to move on, unless there is just a ridiculous number of them. You're also only allowed one vote, so make it count!

The poll will close on Sunday, December 1st at 9:00PM Pacific, so take all weekend to decide if you need it!

#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (34592 posts) -

Obey, my slaves.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (13838 posts) -

Would you kindly vote for the proper answer here?

#3 Posted by Hailinel (22697 posts) -

Wait, "Professoro" Layton?

Oh, my butterfingers.

#4 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (524 posts) -

Francis York Morgan wins, duh.

Oh man... I didn't see solaire..... I"M SORRY :'( PRAISE THE SUN \o/

#5 Posted by Hailinel (22697 posts) -

The really early going in this is not what I expected. This pleases me.

#6 Edited by BeachThunder (11260 posts) -

It's-a-me, Professoro!

#7 Posted by BisonHero (5659 posts) -

Well, 39 votes in, and not a single one for GTA. They're good characters, but they're also kinda regular dudes you've seen before in a movie or whatever. I'm glad people are giving respect to the more fantastical and/or original characters in this poll.

#8 Edited by Clonedzero (3719 posts) -

Well, 39 votes in, and not a single one for GTA. They're good characters, but they're also kinda regular dudes you've seen before in a movie or whatever. I'm glad people are giving respect to the more fantastical and/or original characters in this poll.

What circles are you hanging out in where Trevor is a "regular dude"?

#9 Edited by BisonHero (5659 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

@bisonhero said:

He's crazy, but he's a crazy person from a pretty mundane setting of "present day Los Angeles". He's well done and all, but that's kinda boring, compared to "guy who founded Rapture" or "weirdo FBI agent who talks to Zach all the time about random shit" or "charming professor who is the consummate gentleman and has solved a bunch of totally preposterous mysteries".

Hell, if someone is going to vote for a psychopath, I still think Vaas is worth the vote more than Trevor.

#10 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

Shit, I haven't been paying attention. Why isn't Geralt of Rivia on this list, The White Wolf, The Witcher? I vote for him.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (22697 posts) -

@claude said:

Shit, I haven't been paying attention. Why isn't Geralt of Rivia on this list, The White Wolf, The Witcher? I vote for him.

He's in the other group in this round.

#12 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@claude said:

He's in the other group in this round.

Saw it, sorry.

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (3719 posts) -

@clonedzero said:

@bisonhero said:

He's crazy, but he's a crazy person from a pretty mundane setting of "present day Los Angeles". He's well done and all, but that's kinda boring, compared to "guy who founded Rapture" or "weirdo FBI agent who talks to Zach all the time about random shit" or "charming professor who is the consummate gentleman and has solved a bunch of totally preposterous mysteries".

Hell, if someone is going to vote for a psychopath, I still think Vaas is worth the vote more than Trevor.

Personally i think Trevor is a more rounded and interesting character than everyone you referenced. Why? Because its HIM thats interesting. Not the random references he makes. Not the world he "founded" and not the crazy mysteries he solves. HE'S the interesting one.

Vaas is also pretty great, but like i said, Trevor is actually very well rounded. Vaas i only saw acting WACKY AND CRAZY!, Trevor is FAR more rounded and believable as a person and a character. What motivates Vaas? What does vaas value more than anything else? What does he care about? What does he do for fun? Why does he act the way he acts? Who does he care about? Absolutely none of that is touched, Vaas is just a crazy intimidating badguy. Trevor is a fantastically written character where all those questions are answered in detail.

A good character study exercise is to imagine the character doing something totally mundane like watching TV, or going grocery shopping, at a boring dinner party, ect. If you can picture the character acting as their character then its a great character. I get the feeling i know how trevor would act in any of the scenarios. The other characters you mention? Well andrew ryan only made grand speeches i don't really know who HE is, only his ideals, ect.

To dismiss Trevor as a fantastic and well written character is naive and just plain wrong. You might not like the setting, the game, or the content. But I'll be damned if you claim Trevor doesn't deserve to be on that list. It's especially silly to judge a character for coming from a more realistic world rather than a more fantastical one.

#14 Posted by TobbRobb (4403 posts) -

I don't even want to vote in this one, none of them deserve to win. Voting for York it is.

#15 Posted by dr_mantas (1689 posts) -

This is gonna end up silly.

#16 Edited by Pop (2530 posts) -

This is gonna be funny.

#17 Posted by D_Bones (362 posts) -

Drake no doubt

#18 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

This is gonna end up silly.

I have a feeling you're right. *sigh*

#19 Posted by MrCaptain (361 posts) -

AH! Francis York Morgan is on there!?

My vote was a great mistake.

#20 Posted by LackingSaint (1697 posts) -

Andrew Ryan is the best video-game antagonist of this generation, and easily the best video-game antagonist of all-time. The fact that he's doing this badly is a joke.

#21 Posted by NMC2008 (1166 posts) -

Picked Atlas because out of these gentlemen he's the one whom evoked the most emotion out of me, you know what i'm talking about. Also, I finished Bioshock 9 times, I like that game.

#22 Posted by MEATBALL (2783 posts) -

Going with Mr. Marston.

#23 Posted by Brendan (7511 posts) -

Is Francis York Morgan going to end up winning the whole thing? He was interesting but I didn't think the writing was in DP was THAT good, kind of hamfisted characters all around.

#24 Posted by narujoe93 (2428 posts) -

Why is the guy from Deadly Premonition winning? Y'all some crazy bastards

#25 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1123 posts) -

Why is the guy from Deadly Premonition winning? Y'all some crazy bastards

#26 Posted by s10129107 (1164 posts) -

Am i the only guy backing 'ol Sully?

#27 Edited by mosespippy (3733 posts) -

@tobbrobb said:

I don't even want to vote in this one, none of them deserve to win. Voting for York it is.

I thought the same thing but voted for the professor. Though I'm pleased to see York winning.

#28 Edited by DonutFever (3514 posts) -

Damn, thought Trevor would have been doing better than that.

I picked Nathan Drake, he's THE character of the generation for me.

#29 Edited by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Why isn't Marston winning? Or Andrrw Ryan?

#30 Edited by csl316 (7344 posts) -

I see a Drake/York showdown on the way.

Hopefully the special agent cleaned his suit.

#31 Posted by TheHT (10262 posts) -

Drake.

#32 Posted by YI_Orange (1071 posts) -

The other group is so much stronger. I'm guessing York is winning either because of a blind love of DP(and I appreciate it too, don't get me wrong) or because people don't feel too strongly about any of them, especially considering the other group.

#33 Edited by Example1013 (4749 posts) -

Why are we fucking around with all these stupid threads when we all know the real one is going to be Nolan North Character of the Generation.

#34 Posted by Krataur (318 posts) -

My man Ezio!...is not winning.

WTF, guys?

#35 Posted by miikelzelda (25 posts) -

Ezio has been my homeboy for years.

I appreciate your efforts and persistence but this is all pretty pointless, Garrus is winning this thing. In both male and female categories.

#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Always be praisin' \T/

#37 Edited by Encephalon (1174 posts) -

Gotta represent my boy, Andrew Ryan.

#38 Edited by Yummylee (20557 posts) -

I voted Trevor, but I'd be fine with Marston or York taking it all the same.

#39 Posted by KaneRobot (1266 posts) -

As much as I want to vote for Keith David, Francis deserves to win this whole thing.

#40 Posted by Random45 (804 posts) -

FRANCIS. YORK. MORGAN.

Is this even a contest? Seriously, who WOULDN'T vote for this guy? Talk about a lopsided competition.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (22697 posts) -

You have one hour remaining to get a vote in on this poll if you haven't already.

#42 Edited by Hailinel (22697 posts) -

This poll is now closed! Nathan Drake, Francis York Morgan, and John Marston are all moving on to the semifinals!

#43 Posted by hermes (1270 posts) -

York is winning? Only in this community...