#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (690 posts) -

#2 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (690 posts) -

I always pick a dude because I am dude in real life and I find it weird if my avatar is female. I've heard compelling reasons as to why dudes pick female avatars and whatnot and am curious as to which gender you prefer to play as in your videogames.

#3 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Male because i'm male.

#4 Posted by Elohym (24 posts) -

If the character is speaking and is influential to the story (an example would be Mass Effect) I pick a dude because I am a dude and will therefore have a much easier time putting myself in his shoes and relating to him in the story.

On the other hand, if the main character speak little or nothing all (example: Neverwinternights 2 or, more recently, Fable 3) and the only difference in the gender choice is whether I'll be looking at a dudes ass or a ladys ass the whole game, I choose a lady, for they have much prettier asses.

#5 Posted by RVonE (4603 posts) -

Female, because there are enough male protagonists in games as it is.

#6 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (937 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Male because i'm male.

Do you also have a health bar? Do you have a run button or can you auto-run?

#7 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2004 posts) -

I usually prefer projecting myself in games with character editors so I much prefer playing as a male but there are times I like to mix it up and see how playing a female will turn out. For example my Dragon Age: Origins character was a male that resembled myself but for Dragon Age 2 I figured I shouldn't have an in-universe Doppelganger and decided to play as a female who was completely different.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11686 posts) -

Bring on all the creepy "I want to stare at a computer generated lady ass for 50 hours" comments =|

#9 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

I already have trouble putting myself in the shoes of a character, so it really doesn't matter. I usually just take it all the way and go Female. It's on very, very rare occasions I feel the game allows me to be myself enough that male is the only sensible option.

I really don't get people who pick Male Shepard in Mass Effect, because they are male. He is in no way a substitute persona for yourself, Shepard is a goddamn character of his own. I relate equally to the male and female versions.

#10 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -

I almost always pick a male to allow myself to project into the character easier. Its also why he normally has long brown hair, a heavy beard etc. The part where he is normally a Dwarf is unrelated.

#11 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

As a child Zi always went with make because I'm male, but now I choose both male and female.

#12 Posted by isomeri (1223 posts) -

In story driven games like Mass Effect I always go with a dude, because that's how I'm able to most relate with the character. If the game is based mostly around action I sometimes go with a female, like in Diablo III.

#13 Posted by cutyoface (541 posts) -

I usually pick male if I am given the option.

#14 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Male because i'm male.

What's your problem? I answered his survey, don't need you coming along being sarcastic and rude.

#15 Posted by UitDeToekomst (702 posts) -

Almost always male. If I play through a game a 2nd time, I will usually switch classes and gender to try to make the experience as different as possible.

#16 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Most of the time, I pick male. Just a force of habit really.

#17 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4276 posts) -

I usually pick female. Ask me how many fucks I give.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4948 posts) -

I can't answer this poll, as I feel that I choose either sex 50/50. Unless there is a substantial difference between the two option (e.g. Persona 3 Portable), I won't have any problems picking either a male or a female. My first choice will probably be a female, but, as I say, in general, I'm split between the two sexes equally.

Why? Well, why not? I'm not a mage. I'm not the Chosen One. I'm not a Khajiit. I don't live in Pandora. I'm not a space guy. Etc. The sex of my avatar is the least of my concerns when it comes to "breaking immersion" in a game.

#19 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (937 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Male because i'm male.

What's your problem? I answered his survey, don't need you coming along being sarcastic and rude.

Not being rude here. I am just pointing out how strange "because I am a male"-argument is. Can you read a book if it is written by a woman? Do you enjoy movie less if protagonist is female?

#20 Posted by MEATBALL (3057 posts) -

I think I tend to choose female most? It's probably about even really, but if I had to guess it's probably female. Because I am a creeper and in most cases would rather spend time looking at an attractive lady model than a dude model.

#21 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

I tend to always go female, but as of late I'm trying to force myself to go male. I just find the male characters are usually boring and uninteresting to play while the lady characters are more enjoyable. Seeing that I'm a straight guy I'm sure seeing a pretty lady on screen the entire game has something to do with the choice as well, but often times it's because I find it hard to make male characters look good. I'm the type of person who can spend hours in a character maker tweaking ever little dial and doohickey to make sure my character looks as awesome as they can before I play it because I know that if they are not just right I can't enjoy playing the game as them. Every time I look at them it will break the game for me if I don't like the look 110%. More often then not I find the male options in these makers are generally pretty crappy, or at least they never seem to allow me to make a male character that I think looks distinct in any way.

#22 Posted by Morningstar (2137 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Male because i'm male.

Not being rude here. I am just pointing out how strange "because I am a male"-argument is. Can you read a book if it is written by a woman? Do you enjoy movie less if protagonist is female?

I don't think it's strange at all.

#23 Posted by Vade (393 posts) -

Whatever looks best, usually female.

#24 Edited by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

If there's voice acting then I pick the one that sounds best (like male Shepard for example) otherwise I mostly pick males.

#25 Posted by mikey87144 (1662 posts) -

Given the choice almost always male. Allows me to project myself in the character more.

#26 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Male because i'm male.

It wasn't an argument, it was my opinion that you are taking out of context and over-analyzing. You are trying to relate it to movies and books which is completely unrelated to the fact that I pick a male protagonist in a game where there is a choice, it doesn't mean I don't watch films or read books written by or starring females. Stop trying to be clever and make me sound sexist because you don't know what you are talking about. Happy new year.

#27 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I play female exclusively whenever possible. Unless i'm playing a dwarf. Dwarf females are greird.

In terms of customization, i have trouble making male characters look good. All my ladies are hotties though.

#28 Posted by Karkarov (2974 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Male because i'm male.

Actually it isn't strange at all. I am a guy, I like being a guy, so if I get the option to choose my gender in a video game I choose to be a guy. Go figure. It is actually perfectly logical. The only time I ever choose female is when A: games like Borderlands where this class is always male and this one female. I like the mechro in BL2 so I am obviously going to play a chick. Or B: It is a highly story driven game and on say a playthrough 2 I want to see what nuances and changes are there if you play a chick. Example - Mass Effect.

#29 Posted by TheCowman (60 posts) -

With created characters I usually end up making both, though if there's more than a gender choice (i.e. classes or factions), I probably end having more female characters.

I generally don't project myself into games; instead I come up with a character as though I'm writing a story. Therefore my gender doesn't really matter to the character in the game.

As for why I might choose to make more females than males.....

Well, as someone said earlier, there are already a ton of male protagonists in games, so females ones just seem more interesting by default. A male gang boss in Saints Row: the Third is pretty standard, but a female one seems more novel.

Maybe that's just me being vaguely sexist, but that's the reason so..... eh

#30 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

Female, because some part of me deep down wishes I was.

#31 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

Female simply because video games are escapism and they let me be and do things I can't be or do in real life. And being female is one of those things. Also just flat out I appreciate the female form and men are ugly. I don't want to have to control ugly characters If I don't have to. =p

#32 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (937 posts) -

I really don't project myself into games either, and I don't actively try to do so. I usually pick more interesting choice, like in Saints Row 2 male, because of great British voice but clearly best voice, in SR3 was it was Russian voice, so I picked female.

If there is no option that is more interesting than another, I tend to pick the first choice I saw, which is usually the male.

#33 Posted by AndrewB (7481 posts) -

*Shrugs* Depends? I think lately it's more female characters. Not because of the old "hurf, let's stare at attractive models!" adage, but because of the escapism/role-playing thing.

#34 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

I'm dreadful at role-playing characters who aren't just some facet of myself, so I play as a male human bard every time.

#35 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@Elohym said:

If the character is speaking and is influential to the story (an example would be Mass Effect) I pick a dude because I am a dude and will therefore have a much easier time putting myself in his shoes and relating to him in the story.

On the other hand, if the main character speak little or nothing all (example: Neverwinternights 2 or, more recently, Fable 3) and the only difference in the gender choice is whether I'll be looking at a dudes ass or a ladys ass the whole game, I choose a lady, for they have much prettier asses.

This.

#36 Posted by project343 (2812 posts) -

Typically I play male characters. But there are a whole bunch of other factors that may influence my sway though. If it is a game with optional romances (Bioware, Persona) but does not support gay relationships, I'll typically go female. The voice acting will also sway me to a significant degree (I'll take Jennifer Hale's badass gender irrelevancy over whatever robot voices Manshep any day).

#37 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Female due to what others said about too many male main characters out there, sometimes with the things to unlock in the game has a little more variety to them with a female character & if I'm going to be looking at a game for an extended amount of time, I'd rather be looking at a lady. Depends really on the differences between the two, for Mass Effect & Saints Row3 the choice is up to the player but in other games where the female characters have a difference than the male ones (ie. male is more of a tank/brute vs. speedy female character), I'll play with both if one character type is getting dead too easy.

#38 Posted by Deadmanforking (569 posts) -

I mostly pick female, due to lack of female protagonists in games.

#39 Posted by Lysergica33 (517 posts) -

I'm a guy, but I tend towards female toons more often than not lately. I dunno what it is particularly that makes me want to play female characters... It's not about the physical aspects, I couldn't give any less of a shit about that, but I like to try and get inside the heads of my characters and ascribe some sort of personality, meaning and archetypal role or purpose to them and for some reason female characters have enabled me to scratch that itch more so than male ones.

That, and emotionally I am a very feminine guy. I identify with the moon and intuition rather than will, strength and the sun, which are all more masculine qualities. That probably has a lot to do with it.

#40 Posted by Dragonborn (22 posts) -

I choose Male, every single time.

#41 Posted by Unmada (68 posts) -

Given character choices in games, I usually go for whatever is least like me. I am a human male, so I generally choose female characters, and if race is a choice, I prefer nonhuman. If I can go nonhumanoid, even better!

This all goes out the window if there are very significant gameplay ramifications. Fighting games are a good example. What matters to me there is play style, so the cosmetic attributes of the character pale in comparison.

There is sometimes a correlation between playstyle and gender, though. I prefer characters who are fast and nimble, which in many games happen to be the females.

#42 Posted by Maystack (902 posts) -

Story based games where the character has dialogue and bearing on the game I'll pretty much always go male.

MMOs it's a 50/50 toss up depending on which gender best suits the class.

#43 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I'm a male but more recently female. Because they're usually better to stare at and if I'm going to look at a polygonal ass for hours it might as well be female.. and I think it's funny.

#44 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

That is an interesting question whenever I start thinking about it. I do tend to choose female characters than male ones. It all started when I was a child because I wanted to be different from my friends. They never did chose a female character because of well...childish reasons (bear in mind, this was when I was kid back in the 90's.) I think that kinda stuck with me throughout my game style.

Never did placed too much emphasis on the matter.

#45 Posted by sandmanarenas (11 posts) -

I regularly play as a dude, but from time to time I use a female, it all depends on the game world and the character I want to create

#46 Posted by Slay3r1583 (600 posts) -

Give the choice I've always made female characters. I'm not sure why. Even back when I was young and girls were still icky I'd make or play only female characters whenever possible.

#47 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

Male because I'm female.

Although my first full Fallout 3 playthrough was with a female and so was in Skyrim.

It's pretty simple. I prefer looking at an attractive avatar of the opposite gender. Sue me!

#48 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Have always made a male as my character in games like Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect and now Dragon Age. If I like the game enough I will go through again with a female as it really makes the game feel different with the different dialogue choices, pretty much all my female characters go down the renegade\evil path as well, as I usually play the good guy on my 1st playthough.

#49 Posted by UlquioKani (1025 posts) -

Ladies for one simple reason

I like them

Most of the time, I go with the voice actor I like more which usually turns out to be the female

#50 Posted by Lyisa (328 posts) -

I usually play as a female because I really like heroic female characters. Its very rare that a male character creates any attachment to me in the sense of, "Thats so cool! Child me would have wanted to be just like that!"