Male or Female? Which gender do you pick the most.

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By Stimpack

I also pick a male because I am a male. When I play a video game, the character I'm playing as is viewed in my mind as a virtual representation of myself. Though I do tend to play RPGs more often than anything, and those do tend to be the games that allow you to choose your gender.

I've always thought that it's rather strange for people to play as genders other than their own, but I don't really care either way. Whatever floats your boat.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#202  Edited By Mayu_Zane

It depends on my mood.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By Mrsignerman44

In story driven games(eg. Mass Effect) I'll always choose females, I love me a strong female lead. Not only that but when I create a dude character, I usually make some sort of goofy looking meat head that makes it hard to project myself onto the character. I'd rather ditch the whole projection thing by choosing a female and thinking of them only as a character and not as a projection of myself.

In non story driven games I'll choose dudes because I'm usually listening to podcasts or something and think of the character I'm using as sort of a vessel that I use to navigate the game world, a gamepiece on a board or as some might say...an avatar :O

packs217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#204  Edited By packs217

I typically pick male as I am a male. I understand the argument of choosing female so you're not always looking at a dude avatar.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By KingOfAsh

Mostly male, but with the occasional exception (Mass Effect, Borderlands)

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By thomasnash

@Demoskinos: this is exactly why I always play women characters when I get given the choice, but I always assume people will find that a weird statement. You'd be surprised what you can learn about yourself though.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By OmegaChosen

I'll usually go male. More comfortable and easier to connect and whatnot. If there's romances involved that just clinches it for me to be a guy since I'm not at all interested in pursuing romantic options as a woman.

Pokemon games I always go female though, I'm guessing because the males almost always look like tools.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By jjm494

I've always chose to play as a male character in role-playing games in the past. However, with the Mass Effect series I choose a female Shepard. I look at it from the perspective that varying the characteristics of your protagonists can lead to new experiences, such as choosing a different class instead of playing every role-playing game as a fighter or a wizard. I don't know how true that is for most games in regards for gender, but one would hope it allows for a different experience.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Ryuku_Ryosake

It wildly varies. In MMOs or any sort of multiplayer games I go with a dude since I am one. In fighting games I play female since they are usually the fastest characters. For RPGs on the PC if I'm going to play the game on an unmodded run first then I start male and my second run is female since most mod content is made for female characters. If I'm only doing one run it's 50/50 if I go male or female depending on customization options, romances, or voices.

JudahJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By JudahJones

I tend to pick female characters because I find my preferred genres of games (action/ fighting) are often feel very masculine in their design (hugely muscled enemies/protagonists, hot fembot female secondary characters) I find it more interesting to try and turn that on its head with a female lead character if that's a possibility. In western style RPGs I'll usually do a playthrough of both genders, with the female avatar being the evil badass and the male avatar being the Jesus-like pacifist (both being fun in their own way). The only exception is when I play JRPGs, those protagonists are androgynous enough as is, I tend to stick to the male side in those.

rabbithearted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#211  Edited By rabbithearted

If given the chance, I always play female characters. I know people seem to frown upon the reasoning, but I do it because I'm a girl and I like playing girl characters. I almost always have them have the same hair/eye color I have, too, unless the game is purposely over-the-top (my Saint Row 3 character cycled through blue, green, pink, and purple hair--she always had green eyes, though), or I'm developing a certain type of character (I tend to play Skyrim by giving my character a specific personality, etc.)

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#212  Edited By kerse

Honestly depends, kinda feel like I flip a coin in my head and then choose what I'm feeling. I'd say its about even and if I play through a game a second time I always pick the other gender. So I guess its about even for me. I will say though that with Mass Effect I feel a little weird not being male, must be because the romance stuff is done well enough (not that its amazing) that it feels a little weird for me, only game thats been like that for me so far.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#213  Edited By Branthog

I don't pick either one, intentionally. I pick entirely randomly. Anything else would be an egregious display of sexism and would be an admission that I see gender, which I don't. Because all genders are entirely the same in my eyes. I mean, or would be, if I saw multiple genders. Which I don't. Because I only see "the human gender".

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Choose a guy because I am one. In the same way as I pick a white dude usually because I am one, I try to make the character fairly close to me.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#215  Edited By Vextroid

I mostly choose female. I play so many other games that have male leads, that a change of pace is all ways good.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Zebracal

I always choose Male for my main character and for my alternative characters that's when I use female models.