Males and females in the gaming industry, gaming culture.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

Edited By radion_null

I don't know if any one has stumbled upon some of Daniel Floyd's YouTube videos. Some of the vides are old but still interesting to watch, if you haven't done so already. They are, naturally, on the gaming industry and the gaming culture in general. Here is one of them. Watch it, and share any thoughts you may have.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By radion_null

I don't know if any one has stumbled upon some of Daniel Floyd's YouTube videos. Some of the vides are old but still interesting to watch, if you haven't done so already. They are, naturally, on the gaming industry and the gaming culture in general. Here is one of them. Watch it, and share any thoughts you may have.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By gingertastic_10

I liked the shout out to Ubisoft. Their my boys. Nice video. Though sadly this will probably get bashed for possible advertising.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By radion_null
@gingertastic_10 said:
" I liked the shout out to Ubisoft. Their my boys. Nice video. Though sadly this will probably get bashed for possible advertising. "
I hope not. I figured it was a nice take on where our industry is at with regards to this topic, and thought it was worth sharing.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10
@radion_null said:
"@gingertastic_10 said:
" I liked the shout out to Ubisoft. Their my boys. Nice video. Though sadly this will probably get bashed for possible advertising. "
I hope not. I figured it was a nice take on where our industry is at with regards to this topic, and thought it was worth sharing. "
Yeah I agree. It makes some great points. I've got my sister to play more games. Like the video said, most of the woman play Wii Fit and stuff. But I've gotten my sister into playing God of War and Call of Duty. And that's pretty cool
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, I also support not drawing gender lines. I've met a few girl gamers in my experiences, and I didn't notice anything different about them as gamers. If I were to ask them something like, "What was the first game to feature the Konami Code"....well, OK, they'd most likely answer Contra, but what would you say? The fact that they didn't say, "What the hell is the Konami Code" or "I'm surprised your atrophied leg muscles could walk you over to my presence" has to be worth something. Right?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Wolverine
@radion_null: Someone already created a thread about this video but I completely forget what it was called. I feel we need to make games for all audiences just like we do with every other media.
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zityz

Also helps if the younger sibling has been exsposed to it when they were younge. For example my younger sister always watched me play sonic and such and always wanted to get into playing. So it started off as me letting her play so I had someone to beat but i'd never rub it in her face. I always told her she just needed to work on it. Now has she got older she started get better and get into games more and more. Now shes 19 and she can hold her own in a fighting game or two and enjoys playing all those "hardcore games" like gears of war army of two the resident evil series and so on.

So exsposure at a younge age helps. Also guitar hero and rockband helps as well.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By penguindust
donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By donwoogie

From a social perspective, men are geared to be more competitive and release this in our hobbies which usually take the form of sports.  This has been the case in every civilization in that men are always percieved to play competitive sports whereas women, until this day and age, haven't really consistently been seen to enter this role.  I mean, when it comes to most sports, do female athletes really achieve mass numbers or mass mareket coverage?  For example, there are three parks near my house and three near my parent's and everytime I pass any of these or go to them, there are always guys playing football and cricket or even touch rugby and it's always different groups of people.  I have never seen women ever do this simply because they are not as competitive in these areas as men seem to be.

It is the same thing, but with the next generation sport, gaming.  And the majority that do try sports tend to try sports like netball and don't really move on from them.  The same with casual gamers who are women who tend to get stuck in this rut it seems.

Of course, the major exception to this line of arguement seems to be Tennis where women seems to be as competitive as their male counterparts.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolverine
erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By erinfizz
@atheistium:

You make two very good points.

1. I think some people buy "boys games" or "girls games" because they are lazy, and don't bother to ask what the person they are buying for would like. So say, they are shopping for their 12 year niece...and they just go "oh, Susie likes horsies!" and get them something lame.

2. It does totally depend on the parents when one is young. My dad was way into arcade games and pinball, and was really excited about getting me a NES so we could play together. It didn't matter that I was a girl, I was the only kid and liked games! Games is also what drove our first PC purchase...I think my dad wanted to play Sim City.
radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By radion_null

I think we as the consumer majority can be partly to blame on this How often do we frown on the games that are, well "girly" or too casual? often when we show off  a game to our significant other or femela friends, we are likely to want them to play testosterone filled games.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donwoogie
@radion_null said:
" I think we as the consumer majority can be partly to blame on this How often do we frown on the games that are, well "girly" or too casual? often when we show off  a game to our significant other or femela friends, we are likely to want them to play testosterone filled games. "
Not really our fault though that most of the so called girly games are rubbish.............

And now I know you are thinking "Oh donwoogie, that is just your opinion! Girls might think they are good!" well most of the time these rubbish games are the price of normal games which is not an accurate representation of their production values and so I call them rubbish on that account too!
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By delta_ass

I found this to be a very illuminating post on males and females in the gaming industry, gaming culture.

But what about the shemales?

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By donwoogie
@Delta_Ass said:
" I found this to be a very illuminating post on males and females in the gaming industry, gaming culture.But what about the shemales? "
Being a shemale would be sweet!  Best of bother worlds baby!
radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By radion_null
@donwoogie said:
" @radion_null said:
" I think we as the consumer majority can be partly to blame on this How often do we frown on the games that are, well "girly" or too casual? often when we show off  a game to our significant other or femela friends, we are likely to want them to play testosterone filled games. "
Not really our fault though that most of the so called girly games are rubbish.............And now I know you are thinking "Oh donwoogie, that is just your opinion! Girls might think they are good!" well most of the time these rubbish games are the price of normal games which is not an accurate representation of their production values and so I call them rubbish on that account too! "
actually I wasn't thinking that. You are right in saying that most of those games are rather poorly made. In said case, I wonder why the companies behind those games don't try harder.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Dupe thread.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By donwoogie
@radion_null said:
" @donwoogie said:
" @radion_null said:
Not really our fault though that most of the so called girly games are rubbish.............And now I know you are thinking "Oh donwoogie, that is just your opinion! Girls might think they are good!" well most of the time these rubbish games are the price of normal games which is not an accurate representation of their production values and so I call them rubbish on that account too! "
actually I wasn't thinking that. You are right in saying that most of those games are rather poorly made. In said case, I wonder why the companies behind those games don't try harder. "
They don't make them better because female gamers don't know any better.  Games that predominantly guy buy are sooooo good compared to them is because the people who play those games demand that high quality because the market is huge and so is the variety of games in it propelled by the fact that we demand high standards of quality ie. We read reviews, blog and talk about games.  Girl games don't tend to get reviewed and the ones that do don't matter since girls do not read game reviews or blog that often about those games or even discuss them.

This creates a somewhat vicous circle since girl game players do not demand any better because they don't know any better and they will not know any better unless they really get into video games which cannot happen if the games they play are of such poor quality.

Lets face it, the only way this will change is when some fad comes in that makes playing video games cool and mainstream for girls, at which point, they will all get hook in huge numbers.  This will no doubt cause guy gamers to refer to themselves as 'hardcore' gamers and girls as 'noob' gamers.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust
@atheistium:
"why would you want to play a washing up game?"
Forgive my ignorance but what the hell is a "washing up" game?  I mean, there's washing up in the Sims 3 but I can't see anyone turning that into a game, so I am at a loss.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGremp

Oh dear god...  Alexander.  Don't remind me of that mess of a bombcast.

Anyways, to actually contribute...

I'm actually not sure if I want female gamers to be a big part of gaming.  I've found that there are certain types of girl gamers...   Note that a lot of this is probably nabbed from blogs I've read, and I'm fooling myself into thinking this is in any way original.

There's the casual type that plays the sims, bejewled and all that, which I don't even consider them as "gamers", so why am I even talking about them?  Moving along. 

There's the girl gamer, who is exactly what the title claims.  A girl who games.  Often you can't even tell that she has a vagina until she turns on the mic.  These girls are more than welcome, and encouraged to play.

Then there's the gamer girl, who games for the sake of being a gamer girl.  These women have handles like xXxS3xaYMaMaxXx and make sure to attend the "ladies night" on xbox live whenever possible.  They always make it apparent that they're hardcore gamers, which gives off the idea that they're only there for attention.  She knows that when a guy hears of a hardcore gaming female, he'll be interested and give her the attention she so badly craves. All I have to say to the gamer girl is....  DO NOT WANT.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By donwoogie
@TheGremp:
At the same time though, the ones who do fit in do so by interacting with the male orientated social environment.  Fact is, a lot of gaming is social, and by that I mean a large proportion of gamers don't just go online to exclusively play the game, but to play with friends or interact with others on the server.  Since most good game players are male, the social interactions are all based on male orientated aspects.  This means that, if a girl is gaming and fitting in, it is not because she is behaving normally, but being more guy-like.  The ones you elude to are often not trying to attract attention, but just being girls, which they are, but since servers are male-dominated environments, they will inherantly stick out like a sore thumb through no obvious fault of their own from their perspective.