man has anyone here been on the escapist forums lately?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By graniteoctopus

ive spent a few days over there and christ ive never seen a bigger bunch of stuck up elitist jerks with senses of humor reading somewhere in the negative. makes me take this place for granted thats for sure
Sinatra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Sinatra

I never even heard of those forums before.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By DCFGS3

About:

Founded in 2005, The Escapist is a leading video gaming destination offering video game enthusiasts high-quality, innovative and exclusive content with a considered approach to its audience. The mouthpiece of the gaming generation, The Escapist aims to capture and celebrate the contemporary video gaming lifestyle and the diverse global video game culture by way of in-depth features, thought provoking articles and relevant columns authored by leading video game authorities, as well as cutting-edge video shorts, engaging forums and robust social media elements that incorporate the video gaming experience. 

Sounds pretty bloody elitist.

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By graniteoctopus

well i go there because of the video content which is pretty funny. its just the culture that surrounds it that makes me wanna spew.
Sephiroth9997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sephiroth9997

Not surprised in the slightest.  Have you never watched zero punctuation?  I imagine most of their users are as cynical as that duder. 
kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kingclaw
@graniteoctopus:
I see the zero punctuation videos because they are fun as hell, but taking in consideration the opinions of the reviewer (don´t know his name), i can see the community on that site being just the way you describe it
graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By graniteoctopus

again i mostly go there to watch his videos which are quite funny. also in his defense he isnt really like that he admits he over analyses because no one watches otherwise. its their strict rules and pretentions of maturity that got to me. every topic must have "potential for discussion"...what that actually means seems to change on a daily basis...but if you need a quick answer to a question, "hi guys will a ps1 controller work on a ps2" etc you will be placed on probation.   
not to mention that  you see endless topics that try to be insightful and poignant but in reality reek of trying way too hard to sound intelligent    

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Nope. Haven't been around there. Not a big fan of the Zero Punctuation stuff.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NoDeath

Yeah, those guys are crazy strict about being clean on the forums. For example read this, specifically what corroded said (his last post is hidden so you'll have to click it to see it). Then note that he was perma-banned for his comments. Which isn't to say he wasn't being a bit of a dick but getting banned seemed way over reactionary for what he said.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Andorski

Just judging by a quick browse through the Escapist forums, I think the 1UP boards still takes the cake.  Their Games board is very strict about what threads are made (e.g. any topic that has posters just listing stuff gets locked; topics that have been discussed - even if it was a year ago - get locked).  I once made a thread about a rumor and got chewed out by some of their forum veterans by not labeling said topic as a rumor.  Their NGR (Non-Gaming Related) board though is where the biggest cynics "hang out."  They take pride in thinking that they are truly better than everyone (including those who work at 1UP).

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

lol your talking about escapist the least worthwhile and certainly least site to be warranted as a realistic or serious jounalistic source hell most of their hits come solely from ZP's critics about games. I don't think I've ever seen them actually break a news story before any one else in long time.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Bones8677

I go to the Escapist only to watch Zero Punctuation and Unskippable. Every now and then I look over at the forums, because the top forum posts show up on every web page. Man, there's some fraked up people over there. Gotta love that one thread made by some European 15 year old saying, "Why doesn't America dump the constitution? It's outdated, and shit." 

DJL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DJL

It's called the escapist forums because you'll want to escape as soon as you see it! 

*ba dum chi*

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By immike

People usually act based on their surroundings. This place is no different. It's why I came here, because everyone acts pretty silly and laid back like the staff.

lizcav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lizcav

The funny thing is though The Escapist..... never used to be like that... only in the past couple of years has it become elite-house for the mcelite.  
In close; because of the attitudes of some people, I haven't been on there in a good six months :/

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By graniteoctopus

good! for a while i thought i was alone
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#18  Edited By Symphony

You know what's worse than elitist forum users? Forum users who talk trash about such forum users behind their backs on another forum.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By SonicFire

Well, I do love the zero punctuation "reviews" (honestly though, they're just experiments in creative insults). Apart from that, the forums are almost laughable at times. 

However, I wouldn't say that the escapist is alone, and in fact, a disturbing percentage of the games press is way too obsessed with the  "games as art" perspective. I sometimes can't deal with the irrational love that people give to indie games, juxtaposed with the vitriol they'll show to anything with a mainstream tint. This is why I love the GB editors: they drop the pretension. I can't say that for many of the other podcasts that I subscribe to.  

But the day that game critics universally sound like music critics, I'm leaving the internet and going back to books. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By EpicSteve
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Evilsbane

I stay away from those kind of sites, @NoDeath: And wow, just reading that short thread made me sick to my stomach, its bad when the "Editor in Chief" talks like a three year old and says "Wrong Answer" that community makes us look like a bunch of fucking saints.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Khann said:
"    Look at the posts that people were suspended for. Ok, 2-3 of them were rather short and could be taken as spam, but a couple of them were perfectly fine. What a ridiculous place. "
They suspend anyone who posts within 3 minutes of the video being uploaded because it's unlikely they watched the whole video. It's a really stupid system. I used to be a member there and got suspended for that.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By eclipsesis

People take Zero Punctuation well to seriously, i enjoy all of Yatzee video's despite if he is ripping into a game that i like, i don't care i still like the game, and in all honest the majority of the time he pretty much correct. 

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By graniteoctopus
@Symphony: 

You know what's even worse than forum users who talk trash about such forum users behind their backs on another forum? Forum users who indirectly insult other forum users because they're passive aggressive and don't have the balls to be direct.
ArrenDusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArrenDusk

Never check their forums, only for Unskippable which I find pretty damn funny.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By evanbrau

Zero Punctuation is the only funny thing on that site. The rest of the video content is complete trash the people who made it should be ashamed of and yes the forums are elitist as fuck. They also ran an article in defense of that "witch toucher" game and generally run articles that are what's wrong with video game media today.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Drebin_893
@NoDeath said:
" Yeah, those guys are crazy strict about being clean on the forums. For example read this, specifically what corroded said (his last post is hidden so you'll have to click it to see it). Then note that he was perma-banned for his comments. Which isn't to say he wasn't being a bit of a dick but getting banned seemed way over reactionary for what he said. "
Jesus Christ..... That guy did absolutely nothing.
Avatar image for aestheticsynthesis
AestheticSynthesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evanbrau: I agree.
If it Yahtzee didn't post his videos, that site would have gone down the shitter a while ago.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VWGTI

They understand that the internet is serious business.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uniform

Great site. I love Yahtzee.  I never bothered with the community, as my first exposure was pages of people begging for Yahtzee to review "Super Smash Brothers Brawl". For some reason this irritated me immensely, but hey, isn't that the goal of 90% of the internet?

Moderators do not  = Mature community leaders. Depending on the community, they're just posters like you or I, only they've received Mod powers some should not have. That first example, with the red card, was clearly the Moderator "getting off" on his Mod tools.

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Psych0Penguin

I just watch the Zero Punctuation videos because that guy is hil-ar-ious!! 

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By graniteoctopus
@uniform:
no see the thing is that guy is the leader of that site! imagine if jeff pulled shit like that!
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uniform
@graniteoctopus: 

Oh, well that makes sense. His site, he does what he wants. That wasn't a very good way to represent his site, unless the user broke some exclusive escapist rule. In a case like that, if you really enjoy the community, your best option is to avoid conflict, or you can always kiss the ass of the Mods or Devs, like the majority of online communities, when these guys create, or pop up in a thread.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34  Edited By Geno
Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I supposse they are Yathzee copycats. Still, I never liked that dude, and I seriously think that he has brain damage.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#36  Edited By Atlas

When Giant Bomb gets too silly, I go to the Escapist. When the Escapist gets too toxic, I come home to Giant Bomb. There's room in my life for both, but Giant Bomb is always top dog.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blacklab

Not a fan of that place, people seem to take themselves a bit too seriously.  I do enjoy ZP though.

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By graniteoctopus
Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Bwast

What's a forum?

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By VWGTI
@graniteoctopus said:
" @Geno said:
"
"Just to let you guys know, there is a thread on the Giant Bomb forums that is critical of your community, specifically referencing the elitism and ridiculous ban in this thread.
Congratulations.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/man-has-anyone-here-been-on-the-escapist-forums-lately/390720/?

Haha.

"
ha look at the guys post count. 1. 1! i smell a traitor...ok, everyone put your blood in a petri dish, its time to do the heated wire test. "
Burn the witch!
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Godwind

@Drebin_893 said:

" @NoDeath said:

" Yeah, those guys are crazy strict about being clean on the forums. For example read this, specifically what corroded said (his last post is hidden so you'll have to click it to see it). Then note that he was perma-banned for his comments. Which isn't to say he wasn't being a bit of a dick but getting banned seemed way over reactionary for what he said. "
Jesus Christ..... That guy did absolutely nothing. "
To be fair, his signature does look like piss potts.

It looks nothing like Russ Pitts.
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By swamplord666

Oh god... the totalitarian regime of the forum world! Also that mod needs to be stripped of his powers. He can't just wave the ban hammer at whoever annoys him!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By TheHT
graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By graniteoctopus

@Godwind said:

"

@Drebin_893 said:

" @NoDeath said:

It looks nothing like Russ Pitts. "

asking for it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Claude
@graniteoctopus said:
"

@Godwind said:

"

@Drebin_893 said:

" @NoDeath said:

It looks nothing like Russ Pitts. "

asking for it.

"
Looks more like Puss Pitts to me.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By rjayb89

Looks like Piss Pitts to me.

graniteoctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By graniteoctopus

maybe he'll start an account here and flag all these comments given he's clearly a sensitive little girl
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By swamplord666
@graniteoctopus: I welcome his fascist and precious behaviour! would be fun to demoralize him where he has no power ;)
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By Video_Game_King
@DCFGS3 said:
relevant columns
This is the part that confuses me. When have you ever seen a column or article that was irrelevant? "'Baking chocolate truffle surprises for your Valentine sweety'? What the shit is this, I want some fucking reviews!"
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I've seen some of the guy's videos, but I didn't even know they had a forum.