#1 Posted by kaos_cracker (602 posts) -

So today I decided to play some Call of Duty Ghosts online since the multiplayer DLC came out recently for it on PS4. While playing, I forgot how people are when it comes to online gaming. I just simply don't understand how camping is still a thing in gaming and that it is some how fun for people. When I used to play multiplayer games, it was back when you had to be constantly moving around and actually having fun, which is why I gave Battlefield a try way back when and still constantly play that series, as it makes you need to move toward an objective, or move from an area because someone blew it up with a tank or plane.

When it comes to games that require tactics that it is rather good to camp or be a slow mover, they actually make games like that, such as ARMA or Red Orchestra and so on. So basically, I'm just wondering, when did online gaming become rather bad, or frustrating?

I'm sure one day gaming will be back to the way it was when people would always play with friends have a good time getting objectives in a game, but recently if you are trying to play a game online without friends, it is starting to be a terrible experience, with only a few good moments in between.

But just a basic question, do any of you guys still play games online and have fun?

#2 Posted by Rorie (2931 posts) -

@kaos_cracker: Well, I don't play online shooters anymore, but one person's "camping" is another person's "strategic defense." I remember one time being accused of camping in a Quake III match...while I was guarding my team's flag in a CTF match.

My memories of Battlefield are much the same. You can be aggressive if that's your style of play, but sitting back and keeping an eye on a flag from a hiding spot is a completely valid way of playing those games IMO.

Staff
#3 Posted by Hunkulese (2745 posts) -

@kaos_cracker: Seems like you just don't like what call of duty has to offer. There are plenty of more objective focused multiplayer games. Especially if you have a group of friends.

#4 Edited by Zevvion (1907 posts) -

You only mention shooters though. I also do not have a lot of fun playing those. I agree that Unreal was a lot more fun, but that's just for me. I really don't like modern shooters. They are just not exciting.

However, this past generation I was having an absolute blast playing Mass Effect 3 online. It is without any doubt the best horde-style co-op I've ever played. It is fun on Bronze and Silver, but especially on Gold and Platinum you are just working with your teammates to accomplish the objective, like you said. Coupled with how power combinations work and the different classes are set up in that game; it absolutely required team play.

I am also still playing Dark Souls II, which has very fun close quarters combat. It has its share of assholes (mostly on PC), but most of the time it is a good time to play online.

I also thoroughly enjoyed playing Burnout online. Getting Revenge on someone is just so damn satisfying. I should check if that game is still being played.

#5 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I dont get people who get mad at "campers". Especially in objective based games, it's ridiculous. Even in call of duty, it's still advantageous to play smart. If we're playing, say capture the flag, then well, yeah, I might find a good spot and defend our flag. I'll absolutely have some guy send me rage mail calling me a noskill camper or whatever.

Even in a normal team death match, the objective is to get more kills than the other team. If my team is smart and finds a good spot on the map to hold up and get in defensive positions while the other team sprints around like idiots, well then of course we're gonna win.

#7 Posted by kaos_cracker (602 posts) -

@zevvion: When it comes to other games I have way more fun, it's just I wanna try and get back to shooters. ME3 and other Horde modes or driving games it is way more enjoyable.

@clonedzero: My problem is when playing a Team Deathmatch game and having people just camping in one spot the whole game bugs me.

#8 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Any time I've ever had a good match in COD Ghosts someone on voice chat bitches about it. But never in Black Ops. I think it's just the type of player Infinity Ward attracts. I've seen those videos of people who turn their sensitivity to the max, and spin around 1080 degrees while falling off ledges and and up sniping two people with one bullet mid spin/fall. That's an exploit to me. The autoaim, when exploited to where you can spin 360° in a millisecond, automatically picks someone to die whenever you press the trigger. Then these people brag like it was all skill and they truly aimed at someone's head while the entire screen was in a dizzying motion blur.

Call of Duty is all about kill streaks, if you run around out in the open, your KDR will be 1:1. Crouching, prone, and windows are put in the game for a reason. Besides if you can't kill the guy sniping from the window where your whole team knows where he is and knows he's not leaving or running and gunning, screw you for not being able to stop him.

#9 Posted by Giantstalker (1660 posts) -

I play BF4, ArmA 3, and even Titanfall from time to time and definitely have fun in them. Additionally, I never play these with friends.

Sounds like you just have a problem with Call of Duty, or possibly Team Deathmatch in general, which is fine because there are so many alternatives available.

I'd say online shooters have changed because, in many, defensive strategies and tactics are now more viable - it's no longer run, circle strafe, and jump or die. It's about location, cover, positioning, posture, distance, loadout, and of course skill in using these things to their maximum potential.

#10 Posted by liquidsnakegfer9 (151 posts) -

Idk, maybe try some CS:GO, usually camping just gets me killed much faster because I'm an easier target to shoot.

#11 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1743 posts) -

This thread pretty much confirms the opposite of the thread title. For as much as design styles, game modes, control schemes, and visuals will change, there are always going to be people complaining about camping, as there has been since multiplayer shooters began.

Honestly, I find the whole thing kind of ridiculous. If you have a problem with the strategy being employed by the opposition, make an adjustment and overcome it. Whenever I'm killed by someone hiding in a secluded position waiting for enemies to come into sight, I simply run right back there when I respawn and kill them while laughing my ass off that they didn't even bother to move. Camping isn't by any means an undefeatable strategy, and much of what gets labelled as camping are completely legitimate tactics.

What I'm trying to say is basically just deal with it or play something else.

#12 Posted by Rebel_Scum (723 posts) -

COD3 is the only multiplayer shooter I play. Back when they didn't have the carrot on a stick reward crap and just gave everyone roughly the same weapons.

Another thing I like about it is it seems to have a bit of an older crowd and smaller community playing it. Hardly ever have to deal with dickheads on there.

#13 Posted by Ares42 (2689 posts) -

Shooters became bad the day they decided to keep the team format but not maps. If you want arena-style maps, make the game FFA. If you want a team mode to be the predominant way people play, design maps around lines of conflict.

#14 Edited by Athadam (695 posts) -

@rachelepithet said:

Any time I've ever had a good match in COD Ghosts someone on voice chat bitches about it. But never in Black Ops. I think it's just the type of player Infinity Ward attracts. I've seen those videos of people who turn their sensitivity to the max, and spin around 1080 degrees while falling off ledges and and up sniping two people with one bullet mid spin/fall. That's an exploit to me. The autoaim, when exploited to where you can spin 360° in a millisecond, automatically picks someone to die whenever you press the trigger. Then these people brag like it was all skill and they truly aimed at someone's head while the entire screen was in a dizzying motion blur.

Call of Duty is all about kill streaks, if you run around out in the open, your KDR will be 1:1. Crouching, prone, and windows are put in the game for a reason. Besides if you can't kill the guy sniping from the window where your whole team knows where he is and knows he's not leaving or running and gunning, screw you for not being able to stop him.

Actually, trickshotting is even dumber than that. It doesn't take much skill, it's more like... setting yourself up for something lucky to happen. Trickshotters miss their shot 9/10 times.

Quickscoping on the other hand, takes skill (fast reaction time, fast aim) while Trickshotting is the equivalent of spinning around and getting a lucky no scope.

Online shooters haven't changed in the sense that everyone camps more - it's just that Call of Duty Ghosts has flawed level designs, where they have made gigantic maps for CoD sized servers and with designed rooms with only 1 entrance/exit (perfect for campers and claymores). Call of Duty Black Ops 1/2 plays much faster and is much more of a twitch shooter.

Also game modes have a big impact on gameplay, so you can't generalize that all online shooters are becoming more campy.

#15 Posted by me3639 (1765 posts) -

@giantstalker:

Agree. Nicely said. I ve been pretty much playing a ton of Ghost recon Phantoms, and its all strategy . I usually lay down and watch the flank or ill jump ahead. Its about position and team, and most of all fun.

#16 Posted by Chtasm (452 posts) -

If you have a problem with the strategy being employed by the opposition, make an adjustment and overcome it.

This.

#17 Posted by spyder335 (300 posts) -

@kaos_cracker: Camping is the way to win in most games, a well placed ambush is pretty much inescapable in real world tactics, so it works pretty well in most games.

#18 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

But...online shooters haven't changed at all. This was always a thing. Always

#19 Posted by SaucyGiraffe (22 posts) -

People still get mad at this common sense tactic? It's like the jump-attack into leg-sweep combo of shooters, either adapt or continue to be terrible.

#20 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

If you know people are "camping" in certain locations then they should be easy to kill. Don't just keep running around like a chicken with its head cut off and expect to do better. Change up your strategy.

#21 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (681 posts) -

Complaining about "camping" makes you sound like a little kid. It's as legitimate as any tactic, just like in real warfare.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14879 posts) -

But...online shooters haven't changed at all. This was always a thing. Always

#23 Edited by EveretteScott (1497 posts) -

Complaining about "camping" makes you sound like a little kid. It's as legitimate as any tactic, just like in real warfare.

Agreed. It's very much a legitimate stagey. The only time it's bothersome is when you're repeatedly being killed by the same person that is camping. Once you work around that and end up getting them, it's super satisfying .

#24 Posted by Beaudacious (930 posts) -

Less QQ more PewPew.

#25 Posted by BoFooQ (675 posts) -

I only play COD every few months for a night. sometimes I just want to run around and shoot stuff. My biggest problem/complaint is the people who play everyday and know every corner of every map. I hate the people who have all the best weapons and know where every grenade will bounce. I don't play enough to care usually, I'm going to have my fun and than walk away. I do think camping sounds boring, but whatever. I will try to find way around to get even or just fuck around, I don't take it seriously.

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

Just throw grenades where people are camping, that's literally what they're made for. Clearing out rooms or drawing people out for an easy kill.

#27 Edited by fisk0 (4168 posts) -

I'd say a large contributing factor for allowing camping to be a problem is how games have shifted towards a loadout and unlock system instead of having item drops on the maps. If you spawn with a sniper rifle, you're probably going to hang back an snipe people.

Older FPSes were all about map control - you had to constantly move around because you had to pick up the weapons to kill your enemies with. There were equivalent to sniper weapons, but they had a limited number of shots, so you'd likely use them for more short term camping such as defending a room where another weapon you needed was about to spawn, or to deny enemies from picking up a power up, but all in all you couldn't stay around forever, since you needed to move around to replenish your ammo or get other weapons.

I'm still having fun with this older style of FPSes, but I can't say I enjoy unlock systems at all.

@bofooq said:

I only play COD every few months for a night. sometimes I just want to run around and shoot stuff. My biggest problem/complaint is the people who play everyday and know every corner of every map. I hate the people who have all the best weapons and know where every grenade will bounce. I don't play enough to care usually, I'm going to have my fun and than walk away. I do think camping sounds boring, but whatever. I will try to find way around to get even or just fuck around, I don't take it seriously.

Oh, also this. What I loved about Descent, UT99, Quake, Doom and currently love about the new Rise of the Triad is the vast selections of user made maps. This makes sure very few are ever going to have particularly deep knowledge of the level layout in itself, and instead play to make the best use of the weapons available.

#28 Posted by TheStandardToaster (137 posts) -

I think kill streaks are what make "camping" more common in Call of Duty specifically. In modern warfare 2, every game was literally a nuclear arms race. Players would sit in corners or behind windows trying to get the nuke (which was a 25 kill streak).