#1 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (490 posts) -

So during some slow periods at work today I started thinking about save game data. I'm pretty diligent about keeping backups and labeling saves appropriately (where allowed), but I started wondering if anyone has a systematic approach to managing their save game files.

Do you ever delete saves, or do you just let the save list within a game grow endlessly? Are you concerned with backing up and/or long-term storage of your save game data? For games that allow customization in naming or otherwise organizing your saves, do you have any particular methodology to curating your data?

#2 Edited by SexyToad (2739 posts) -

I would delete saves I don't need and would rename saves if they have a wierd name. Such as Game Save 000001.

#3 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6077 posts) -

It depends, generally I only do it for RPGs. For open world RPGs like Skyrim or Fallout I save when I perfect my character, which can be before starting a single quest (minus tutorials) and another save after being done with everything (free roam). Then I put the 2 saves into a separate folder for the designated character, then I make a back up of the folder within another folder that holds all my save files. For other games I save before important moments, cinematics or parts I'd like to replay.

#4 Edited by adam1808 (1214 posts) -

I play games and then finish them, losing save data isn't an issue because if I ever want to play that game again I'm going to play it from start to finish. I don't play enough games that need save management. Autosaves. Making gaming less of a hassle everyday. Nothing better than a well-placed checkpoint.

#5 Posted by wemibelec90 (1280 posts) -

I back up key PC saves on a flash drive, usually RPG saves. Most of them I just delete when I uninstall the games.

On consoles, I don't pay any attention to it. My hard drive is large enough that I don't really worry about it.

#6 Posted by Ben_H (3200 posts) -

I don't organize them at all. I just use Steam Cloud for most. The only save I have backups of are my Skyrim saves because I have so much time invested, and my old Oblivion saves, one of which has like 300 hours and I don't want to lose it. Otherwise I don't care because if I start playing something I always start fresh.

#7 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (490 posts) -

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

It depends, generally I only do it for RPGs. For open world RPGs like Skyrim or Fallout I save when I perfect my character, which can be before starting a single quest (minus tutorials) and another save after being done with everything (free roam). Then I put the 2 saves into a separate folder for the designated character, then I make a back up of the folder within another folder that holds all my save files. For other games I save before important moments, cinematics or parts I'd like to replay.

That's similar to what I do. Sometimes I feel like it's cheating, but I try to keep saves before any major moral choices or other story-altering decisions are made, so I don't have to play through the whole game again to see how different things play out.

#8 Posted by Clonedzero (3721 posts) -

i rarely keep saves.

like skyrim for example, i was away from that game for months, then i jumped back into with dawnguard. i deleted my save and started fresh. with any RPG i do that. i want the story to feel fresh, trying to get back into a story in the middle is just uncomfortable.

for shooter campaigns same thing, if i stopped halfway through and decided to jump back in, in all likely hood i'd be better off restarting to get used to the mechanics, story and controls again. or hell any game really, i'll just restart if i decide to pick the game up again in the future.

the only games i tend to keep saves for are sand box open world games like GTA or just cause 2, ya know, games where its got a big fun sandbox and you just wanna mess around with all the toys you've unlocked. i really liked attaching jeeps by cable to my little fully upgraded jet and trying to fly with the jeep hanging there. it was stupid and fun.

#9 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I really don't delete saves and it sure is filling up my hard drive.  For games that I might go back and play again or maybe need it for DLC or the next game, I will make a copy on a memory stick or such. 

I have lost a few important save games before so I know how much it sucks.