• 91 results
#51 Edited by baldgye (757 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@baldgye said:
Gawker and the linked blogs Gizmodo and Kotaku have been trash for a long time, with Gizmodo banned from Apple press conferences (and I think CES?) as just other examples of there hiring polices for 'journalists'.

Gizmodo was banned from Apple events due to their highly publicized leaking of the iPhone 4, not because of some kind of commentary on their quality of staff. And they are certainly not banned from CES. The only beef is from Apple toward Gizmodo due to them not taking down coverage Apple didn't want them to post.

I know that (about the Apple thing), but during one CES (i forget which one) they ran around the show floor and sat in presentations of various things using universal remotes to turn off TV's etc that where being used for presentations etc and then posted on there site about how much fun it was. I can't remember exactly what came of it but I know CES were not happy bunnies.

Sorry for being a bit offtopic just trying to make the point that Kotaku is just one trashy wing of a whole bird thats covered in shit :P

#52 Edited by Sergio (2243 posts) -

I had never bothered using an ad blocker on my browser before, but then too many shortened URLs on twitter would direct me to Kotaku or another Gawker site. I have one now, and every site but Gawker sites are white listed. If I ended up on Kotaku for some reason, I don't want them generating ad revenue from me.

#53 Edited by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

@baldgye said:

@truthtellah said:

@baldgye said:
Gawker and the linked blogs Gizmodo and Kotaku have been trash for a long time, with Gizmodo banned from Apple press conferences (and I think CES?) as just other examples of there hiring polices for 'journalists'.

Gizmodo was banned from Apple events due to their highly publicized leaking of the iPhone 4, not because of some kind of commentary on their quality of staff. And they are certainly not banned from CES. The only beef is from Apple toward Gizmodo due to them not taking down coverage Apple didn't want them to post.

I know that (about the Apple thing), but during one CES (i forget which one) they ran around the show floor and sat in presentations of various things using universal remotes to turn off TV's etc that where being used for presentations etc and then posted on there site about how much fun it was. I can't remember exactly what came of it but I know CES were not happy bunnies.

Sorry for being a bit offtopic just trying to make the point that Kotaku is just one trashy wing of a whole bird thats covered in shit :P

heh. Yeah, one of Gizmodo's writers got banned from CES for the prank, and he hasn't been with them for a few years now.

As far as Kotaku, I don't think it's as clear cut as some people like to say. I'm pretty critical of a lot of the Gawker Network, but Kotaku itself is far less awful than forum users often make them out to be. They're no Giant Bomb, but anyone acting like they're somehow significantly worse than other sites like IGN or Destructoid, or even a place like GameSpot, just aren't accurate.

I much prefer the personalities of Giant Bomb, but I can say that as far as just about any of the other gaming sites out there. Kotaku is an easy whipping boy, but they're more or less just representative of the majority that's out there today. And for most gamers, you just take in the content from these sites, interact a little bit, and don't obsess over their failings. Otherwise, you wouldn't really get gaming news from anywhere.

#54 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4878 posts) -

@baldgye said:

@truthtellah said:

@baldgye said:

heh. Yeah, one of Gizmodo's writers got banned from CES for the prank, and he hasn't been with them for a few years now.

As far as Kotaku, I don't think it's as clear cut as some people like to say. I'm pretty critical of a lot of the Gawker Network, but Kotaku itself is far less awful than forum users often make them out to be. They're no Giant Bomb, but anyone acting like they're somehow significantly worse than other sites like IGN or Destructoid, or even a place like GameSpot, just aren't accurate.

I much prefer the personalities of Giant Bomb, but I can say that as far as just about any of the other gaming sites out there. Kotaku is an easy whipping boy, but they're more or less just representative of the majority that's out there today. And for most gamers, you just take in the content from these sites, interact a little bit, and don't obsess over their failings. Otherwise, you wouldn't really get gaming news from anywhere.

Nah, you could just get it from the same place Kotaku does.

NeoGAF, duh.

#55 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

I'm not sure why I should take either side seriously. I have better things to do with my time and energy.

#56 Posted by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

NeoGAF, duh.

Oh gosh, kill me now. I'll let them sift through Mos Eisley for me. Thanks.

#57 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4878 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@oldirtybearon said:

NeoGAF, duh.

with the amount of enlightened and mature discussion that goes on there I figured it's a place you'd enjoy.

#58 Posted by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@oldirtybearon said:

NeoGAF, duh.

with the amount of enlightened and mature discussion that goes on there I figured it's a place you'd enjoy.

Thanks; though, there is decent conversation all sorts of places. I wouldn't say I've seen much of that at NeoGAF, but maybe you've had a different experience.

#59 Edited by BoOzak (996 posts) -

I stopped watching AG after that GoW:A stuff. All of the GoW trophy's are stupid or just blatant references to something, i'm guessing as some sort of comic relief. I understand feeling insulted by just how stupid some of them are but to misinterpret what the phrase means and to then lie about the context shows a level of misinformed rage addled garbage that I'd rather not listen to.

I'm glad he acknowledges it, and i'm sure he's also aware of the irony of complaining about fishing for views with a title like "controversy = clicks" but he's still just jumping on the bandwagon. Bashing journalists is hot now, just like feminism and next gen predictions. I've been watching IW for awhile and most of the time he's fine, but he doesnt give the most articulated opinions he just calls things as they are, no matter how obvious.

#60 Edited by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -
#61 Posted by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -

Oh man, it's about time someone called out Kotaku...

#62 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

@minipato said:

I thought he was okay too, but I lost respect for him long before the Dragon's Crown controversy. After I saw him team up with Ben Kuchera to go after that Forbes editor on twitter saying how he should be fired or some shit, I thought, "yeah fuck this guy."

Care to explain this? I haven't heard about that. Curious why they would target a Forbes editor.

#63 Posted by audioBusting (1672 posts) -

@triple07 said:

@minipato said:

I thought he was okay too, but I lost respect for him long before the Dragon's Crown controversy. After I saw him team up with Ben Kuchera to go after that Forbes editor on twitter saying how he should be fired or some shit, I thought, "yeah fuck this guy."

Care to explain this? I haven't heard about that. Curious why they would target a Forbes editor.

A blogger (not really a journalist) on Forbes wrote about an old game being rereleased, mentions that people (including him) pirate the game for free, and then Ben Kuchera tries to destroy his life for it. It happened entirely on Twitter and was kinda silly, but Kuchera (and others on his side) were acting real shitty.

#64 Edited by Sergio (2243 posts) -

@triple07 said:

@minipato said:

It was regarding this article.

#65 Edited by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

@triple07 said:

@minipato said:

I believe he's referring to a flap involving a Forbes contributor, Erik Kain. Jason Schreier and Ben Kuchera(along with some others) didn't like that the Forbes contributor seemed to be advocating game piracy and emulators. I don't believe they ever said that he should be fired, but they Kuchera did say he hoped the controversy would hurt Kain's career.

The Forbes article was eventually updated and everything was fine, but some people still think it was a big deal.

#66 Posted by Carousel (418 posts) -

Marcus generally gets on my nerves, but after this and his apology for jumping on the Ascension band wagon. I'm starting to come around.

More people need to start taking this position.

#67 Edited by omghisam (308 posts) -

I wonder what you call editorial content aimed at a large majority that affirms their opinions? Sounds kind of click bait-y as well, friend.

#68 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

I enjoyed Destructoid before Jim Sterlings ego.

#69 Posted by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

@sanious said:

I enjoyed Destructoid before Jim Sterlings ego.

heh. I'd say there's a lot more wrong with Destructoid than just the tired character that holds Jim Sterling back from being one of the best gaming commentators out there, but sure, that is annoying at times.

#70 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

@minipato said:

Marcus Beer of Annoyed Gamer that is. Now I haven't watched any of these AnnoyedGamer videos up on gametrailers because of the title alone. Real tired of cynical, angry gamers preaching about games and how they should be. I actually haven't watched any of the stuff on gametrailers ever since Marcus Beer left Invisible Walls to be PR guy at Ignition and happened to namedropped Giant Bomb. And well, here I am. I still visit GT for their video reviews and today I noticed on the front page it advertised another Annoyed Gamer. Was ready to dismiss it until I noticed that it said "Controversey = Clicks" and the title of the episode was "Fishing for Outrage." I immediately thought of Kotaku, but I couldn't believe he would call out Kotaku because everyone in the games "journalism" industry is in bed with eachother and are too scared to call eachother out by name. But not only did he call out Kotaku, but he called out editors by name like Jason Schrier and Patricia Hernandez.

Also gotta respect Marcus for admitting that he "jumped on the bandwagon" with the God Of War Ascension "bros before hoes" controversy. He could have easily just been another stubborn angry preacher, but this one episode made me want to watch more of his stuff because it shows that he's able to reflect on his own stuff and admit his own failings (I have no stance on the GoW:A trophy issue, so maybe some people will see it as backpedaling more than an admission of fault).

He doesn't make too many compelling points, but more or less just reiterates what most people, or at least me, already think about Kotaku. I am more just surprised at this public calling out that you don't see too much among games media. You'll see it on twitter rarely, but not too often on a more exposed platform like this. I can only hope that we get more of this so that we can hold up games coverage media to more scrutiny and to a higher standard. I am very curious to see what Kotaku's reaction is if they choose to react.

Here's a link to the episode in question. You'll have to skip 6 minutes in if you want to get straight to the segment where he calls out Kotaku.

I think it's really weird how in the past 3 years or so, the games "journalism" industry has become a much more "personal" industry and mostly for the negative. I guess it parallels the rise of Twitter, in a lot of ways.

It seems like more of the industry is, overall, name dropping and calling out one another by name. I mean, Giant Bomb will FREQUENTLY name drop industry people and inside jokes and whatnot as though the audience is just supposed to know who these people are.

To some degree, I would love to see a site/magazine pick up the torch of classic Nintendo Power and just be about the games, and loving them. No constant whining about games should be and what a game isn't. No games industry muck raking and faux outrage. Just pure enthusiasm for the hobby and a sincere desire to keep interfacing with games after the power button is turned off.

#71 Posted by mrfluke (5340 posts) -

Well he's not exactly wrong about that site.

seriously, if it wasnt for totilo i would have stopped visiting there.

patricia is the worst most idiotic journalist ive ever seen and is the prime example of whats wrong with kotaku.

and i had respect for jason, but after that dragons crown bullshit where he says he was being "critical" (the new scapegoat word for not calling yourself a censor) fuck that guy

#72 Posted by tonyp2121 (169 posts) -

Used to go on Kotaku almost every day a couple of years ago, I think back then they could've been actually considered journalists. Things then just got progressively more and more shitty (or at least it appeared to, to me). It's a shame too the forums used to be a really fun discussion area.

#73 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12105 posts) -

ArbitraryWater calls out Kotaku:

I think they kind of suck. Can we make a thread?

#74 Posted by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

Get a foreign accent, make a video, and you've got it!

#75 Edited by MiniPato (2751 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

Don't make me repeat myself a third fucking time TruthTellah!

#76 Edited by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

Don't forget coming up with a moniker for yourself along the lines of (Adjective) Gamer. No one will take you seriously, otherwise.

#77 Edited by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

@tonyp2121 said:

Used to go on Kotaku almost every day a couple of years ago, I think back then they could've been actually considered journalists. Things then just got progressively more and more shitty (or at least it appeared to, to me). It's a shame too the forums used to be a really fun discussion area.

I'd actually say they're probably a little better editorially now. Back when Crecente was a bigger force, things were decent, and then there was a bit more Gawker influence. Followed by a darker period of redesign nuttiness and Joel Johnson. Since then, Totilo has been rebuilding a decent bit, and I'd say it's alright now. I was even thinking of leaving a few months ago, but there's still enough to keep me around. Kotaku became an even bigger target in the last year thanks to their interest in talking about women in gaming, but I actually appreciate that they contribute to giving such issues more attention. Their contributions may be far from perfect, but at least they're trying. Totilo's stated philosophy is that they can both embrace the mostly meaningless along with the meaningful when it comes to gaming, and I'd say that's more possible than some think.

There's a lot more quality and entertaining content coming out every week than people really give them credit for. As with any other time in Kotaku's history, you just have to wade through a lot of nonsense to get to the better stuff. Though, it's a lot like the Internet at large in that respect, and I'm used to just glancing past some content and wasting my time on the better content. :)

#78 Edited by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

@minipato said:
@truthtellah said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Third time's the charm!

#79 Edited by wjb (1696 posts) -

Yo, he said that shirt was ironed but it looked like there still were some wrinkles. #phony

Meh, bitching about the industry is popular, so I can't blame GT for wanting views. Just because someone has an opinion and some others have the same opinion doesn't necessarily mean it's "jumping on the bandwagon," though. I thought the "Bros Before Ho's" gag was in poor taste, contextually speaking, but I was never outraged about it either. However, I felt the Blood Dragon joke, despite being dumb, was like Beer said, 80's action film pastiche.

The segment isn't for me. Even him admitting a mistake felt somewhat self-indulgent.

#80 Posted by MiniPato (2751 posts) -

@minipato said:
@truthtellah said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Third time's the charm!

For the third fucking time, I did not love Bioshock Infinite and that's just something you're gonna have to accept.

#81 Posted by TruthTellah (9470 posts) -

@minipato said:

@truthtellah said:

@minipato said:
@truthtellah said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Third time's the charm!

For the third fucking time, I did not love Bioshock Infinite and that's just something you're gonna have to accept.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw2xuvOn4W1r790gdo1_500.gif

#82 Posted by chrissedoff (2167 posts) -

I don't read Kotaku and never have, but I don't like hearing people dissing the entire Gawker network, because Jezebel and Gawker itself are both funny sites.

#83 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1215 posts) -

@trafalgarlaw said:

@hailinel said:

@animasta said:

@ravenlight said:

Kotatsu.

isn't that a small japanese bird?

No, it's a Japanese table with a heating unit.

Gintama taught me everything about Kotatsu's and that you should always turn them off when going out.

Also, loltaku.

Hawktaku?

Oh man, remember when Hawktaku was funny for those two minutes before Totillo beat it to death with a lead pipe? Good times...good times

#84 Edited by ArbitraryWater (12105 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Don't forget coming up with a moniker for yourself along the lines of (Adjective) Gamer. No one will take you seriously, otherwise.

Random Gamer? Arbitrary Gamer? I Play Old Gamer? I like Temple of Elemental Evil Gamer? I could make a bunch of dumb jokes, possibly related to oral sex or current events, and act angry in an over-the-top manner when I don't like things! I COULD BE THE NEXT YOUTUBE CELEBRITY.

#85 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3923 posts) -
#86 Posted by JCGamer (671 posts) -

Yea-lots of their stories for awhile now seems to be pushing an agenda. I surprised that the director of Blood Dragon just didn't stop the interview right there because you could sort of tell that guy was actually offended that he was being accused of being homophobic.

#87 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@jcgamer said:

Yea-lots of their stories for awhile now seems to be pushing an agenda. I surprised that the director of Blood Dragon just didn't stop the interview right there because you could sort of tell that guy was actually offended that he was being accused of being homophobic.

Honestly, stopping the interview could have just played further into Kotaku's hands. I can see the headline now:

"Homophobic Game Designer Upset When Confronted!"

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Random Gamer? Arbitrary Gamer? I Play Old Gamer? I like Temple of Elemental Evil Gamer? I could make a bunch of dumb jokes, possibly related to oral sex or current events, and act angry in an over-the-top manner when I don't like things! I COULD BE THE NEXT YOUTUBE CELEBRITY.

Now you're thinking big!

#88 Posted by asantosbr (138 posts) -

Guess what.... Marcus was totally right on what he said.

#89 Posted by Nicked (258 posts) -

@minipato said:

Marcus Beer of Annoyed Gamer that is. Now I haven't watched any of these AnnoyedGamer videos up on gametrailers because of the title alone. Real tired of cynical, angry gamers preaching about games and how they should be. I actually haven't watched any of the stuff on gametrailers ever since Marcus Beer left Invisible Walls to be PR guy at Ignition and happened to namedropped Giant Bomb. And well, here I am. I still visit GT for their video reviews and today I noticed on the front page it advertised another Annoyed Gamer. Was ready to dismiss it until I noticed that it said "Controversey = Clicks" and the title of the episode was "Fishing for Outrage." I immediately thought of Kotaku, but I couldn't believe he would call out Kotaku because everyone in the games "journalism" industry is in bed with eachother and are too scared to call eachother out by name. But not only did he call out Kotaku, but he called out editors by name like Jason Schrier and Patricia Hernandez.

Also gotta respect Marcus for admitting that he "jumped on the bandwagon" with the God Of War Ascension "bros before hoes" controversy. He could have easily just been another stubborn angry preacher, but this one episode made me want to watch more of his stuff because it shows that he's able to reflect on his own stuff and admit his own failings (I have no stance on the GoW:A trophy issue, so maybe some people will see it as backpedaling more than an admission of fault).

He doesn't make too many compelling points, but more or less just reiterates what most people, or at least me, already think about Kotaku. I am more just surprised at this public calling out that you don't see too much among games media. You'll see it on twitter rarely, but not too often on a more exposed platform like this. I can only hope that we get more of this so that we can hold up games coverage media to more scrutiny and to a higher standard. I am very curious to see what Kotaku's reaction is if they choose to react.

Here's a link to the episode in question. You'll have to skip 6 minutes in if you want to get straight to the segment where he calls out Kotaku.

I think it's really weird how in the past 3 years or so, the games "journalism" industry has become a much more "personal" industry and mostly for the negative. I guess it parallels the rise of Twitter, in a lot of ways.

It seems like more of the industry is, overall, name dropping and calling out one another by name. I mean, Giant Bomb will FREQUENTLY name drop industry people and inside jokes and whatnot as though the audience is just supposed to know who these people are.

To some degree, I would love to see a site/magazine pick up the torch of classic Nintendo Power and just be about the games, and loving them. No constant whining about games should be and what a game isn't. No games industry muck raking and faux outrage. Just pure enthusiasm for the hobby and a sincere desire to keep interfacing with games after the power button is turned off.

I'm with you on this. I wish game "journalism" had more people with professional opinions rather than people who give their opinions as their profession. In my mind there is a stark difference between a critic and a "reviewer". I think you nailed it with how much focus is given to "what a game isn't".

I notice a lot of journalists say "I have no idea how games are made", which seems crazy to me. I think the tone of discussions would be more interesting if journalists had a better understanding of game design. I remember a video where Polygon's Justin McElroy got shouted down for picking Dragon's Dogma as his game of the year. For some reason his coworkers viewed this as an illegitimate choice. Why? Sometimes even the Giant Bomb guys call games that they give 3 or 4 stars "shitty".

You hear people say "a 7 out of 10 is actually a good score" but that's rarely reflected in actual discourse. A game is either a 10/10 or "crappy"/"average"/"inessential" etc.

#90 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3906 posts) -

Taken from the NeoGAF thread:

In my first post, I should have made my criticism clearer, and I should have made it about the art, not the person who made it. I should have made it clear that I'm saying the character looks like it came from a 14-year-old boy's imagination, not that I actually believe Kamitani is a 14-year-old boy. If that's where you think I screwed up, then I'll agree with you.

This reminds me of the time a local talk radio personality was fired for using a racial slur to describe a black caller. His defense? It basically came down to "No, I said that you were acting like a *insert racial slur here*. I never said that you were a *insert racial slur here*."

Yeah, it sounded pretty fucking stupid when he said it, too. Thankfully, no one bought that load of crap, and he stayed fired.

#91 Edited by baldgye (757 posts) -

Taken from the NeoGAF thread:

In my first post, I should have made my criticism clearer, and I should have made it about the art, not the person who made it. I should have made it clear that I'm saying the character looks like it came from a 14-year-old boy's imagination, not that I actually believe Kamitani is a 14-year-old boy. If that's where you think I screwed up, then I'll agree with you.

This reminds me of the time a local talk radio personality was fired for using a racial slur to describe a black caller. His defense? It basically came down to "No, I said that you were acting like a *insert racial slur here*. I never said that you were a *insert racial slur here*."

Yeah, it sounded pretty fucking stupid when he said it, too. Thankfully, no one bought that load of crap, and he stayed fired.

That thread was kind of amazing and really highlighted how they operate in order to simply generate sensation and nonsense from nothing and in the process ad-revenue.

The guy who wrote that post said that he followed it up with several other stories that corrected the original post that he admits was poorly written and came off as attacking. He did that instead of just removing/editing/updating the original post, or not posting it at all.

It's amazing that after all this they are still stupid enough to openly talk about how they create this nonsense simply so they can generate click's.