#1 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1294 posts) -

Hello fellow duders...just playing some mario kart for the 64 with my lady and I cannot for the life of me remember how to toes items behind your cart...do any of you guys remember how to toss items behind you?

#2 Posted by RazielCuts (2976 posts) -

Hold backwards before you throw it?

#3 Edited by impartialgecko (1631 posts) -

Don't you press back just as you throw your item? Damn its been a while but I think that's how you do it.

#4 Edited by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

Just hold back and hit the throw button, but remember to play the Sun's Song or you'll never be able to get a blue shell.

#5 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

As far as i recall except for the dropped items like bananas, only green shells can be dropped back

#6 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2910 posts) -

Hold the item button so that the shell is held behind you. When ready to fire, hold down on the stick and release the item button. This fires the shell backwards, it's not dropped on the track like a banana peel (this is how it worked in Super Mario Kart on SNES). This works with red shells too, if memory serves. However it does NOT work with the triple shells, only singles.

#7 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1663 posts) -

@SuperfluousMoniker: I think that worked on 64, but I can't be too sure. I know it definitely worked on the DS versions, so it probably did on the 64, RIGHT?!

#8 Posted by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp: Yes I believe that is the tactic you employed to betray the kart behind you.

#9 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

back and shoot. You can also fire the bananas forward by pressing forward when you layout the banana peel.

#10 Posted by big_jon (5743 posts) -

Bananas make you spin out!

#11 Posted by Empirepaintball (1394 posts) -

Yep. Just pulled out the 'ol N64 to play with my floormates and had the same problem.

#12 Posted by Timnoldzim (86 posts) -

That's general advice for all Mario Kart games- point the control stick in the direction you want the item to go, and it'll go in that direction.

...As long as the direction is either forwards or backwards.