Mario Kart 64 vs Diddy Kong Racing

Carbon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Carbon64

Similar to the first vs. article this is going to be a battle of a Nintendo game and a Rare game. I am a huge fan of both Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing so I thought it was fitting that they be pitted against each other in my vs series. Just like last time I will list what I liked in each game and what I didn't like as well as what was better in the other game.

No Caption Provided

Racing Courses:

The courses or tracks in Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 64 are both great. They both exhibit vibrant visuals and both have a sense of progression within the course which I feel is very important in a racing game. However, Mario Kart 64 has more unique courses because Diddy Kong Racing had specific settings for each course in its trophy cups. For example the Mushroom Cup in Mario Kart 64 includes a beach, desert, and grassland while Snowflake Mountain in Diddy Kong Racing is all snow stages, though Diddy Kong Racing has more courses. Diddy Kong Racing still has unique courses but, Mario Kart 64 just simply has more unique courses. Diddy Kong Racing does have a trump card up its sleeve though. The fact that in most of the courses you can race with up to 3 vehicles (car, hover, and plane) makes the courses more interesting because each vehicle changes the way you approach each course. For the courses I can't really determine a winner as both games have such great courses.

No Caption Provided

Battle Courses:

Both Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 64 had battle courses that served as a distraction from the races. Mario Kart 64 wins here and I'll explain why. While Diddy Kong Racing had 3 different battle course types and Mario Kart 64 only had one Mario Kart 64's battle courses were infinitely more fun. Diddy Kong Racing's battle courses that were similar to Mario Kart 64's (Darkwater Beach and Icicle Pyramid) only allowed the player to use few items, on the other hand Mario Kart 64 let a player use most of the items in the game in the battle mode. The other battle course types Diddy Kong Racing had (Fire Mountain and Smokey Castle) were also not as enjoyable as the battle courses in Mario Kart 64 and even worse than Icicle Pyramid.

No Caption Provided

Items:

What made Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 64 both so great was unlike other racing games they had lots of items that you could use to obstruct your opponent from reaching the finish line. Diddy Kong Racing had less items than Mario Kart 64 but, exhibited an upgrade mechanic where if you got 2 or more of the same item it would upgrade to a better version. Mario Kart unlike Diddy Kong Racing had lots of items that had many different functions so it was always interesting to find out what item you were going to get. In Mario Kart 64 the quality of the item you got was determined a little by what place you were currently in (The worse your place the better the item) so the the player in first place would not get items that would help them boost there lead significantly. In Mario Kart 64 when you got an item you did not know what you were going to get but, in Diddy Kong Racing you did. Since the items in Mario Kart 64 were random anything could happen to change the tide of the race. In fact some of the items are so powerful in Mario Kart 64 that you could go from dead last to first place. Diddy Kong Racing had more strategy with its items because you could plan whether or not to upgrade an item or get a new one depending on what the situation was and that is why it wins this category.

No Caption Provided

Single Player:

Mario Kart 64 single player included racing the cpu in the 4 trophy cups at 3 difficulty levels while Diddy Kong Racing's single player mode was a whole adventure mode. Now I know its a racing game and multiplayer is more important blah blah blah blah but, here's the thing can you really say you don't enjoy Diddy Kong Racing's single player mode better? In addition to challenging the trophy cup Diddy Kong Racing's single player mode had great bosses and silver coin challenges. An adventure mode in a racing game was such a cool feature Nintendo even managed to put one in Mario Kart DS. Oh and if you hadn't picked up on it Diddy Kong Racing wins this category.

No Caption Provided

Verdict:

Ultimately my allegiance goes to Diddy Kong Racing. While Mario Kart has more unique items and courses Diddy Kong Racing has many new things in addition to what you would normally expect of a racing game. This I feel puts Diddy Kong Racing just ahead of Mario Kart 64.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

This is not even a contest. Mario Kart 64 has horrible rubber banding, boring tracks, and some lame items. Diddy Kong Racing is stupid and fun. Also, Hovercraft on every level.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By pyromagnestir

I cannot say I didn't enjoy Diddy Kong's singleplayer better. Because I did. Still, I'll take Mario Kart 64 better because I found it to be lot better for multiplayer.

Enjoyed your post!

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FINIIIIIIIIISH!

In all seriousness though, I'm going to have to go with Diddy Kong racing.

ALTHOUGH, The Rainbow Road course in Mario Kart will always have a place in my heart... always....

Avatar image for supersmashsnake
SuperSmashSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperSmashSnake

I'll say Diddy Kong racing. Super Mario Kart is still my favorite kart racer though.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Diddy Kong Racing wins for me. The singleplayer was amazing and I absolutely loved the vehicle variation and the fact that it had bosses and far more memorable moments than Mario Kart. Having that said, I've spent more time playing Mario Kart with friends since, well, a lot more people had Mario Kart, and I've had A LOT of fun just playing that.

But.. Acquiring T.T? Going to motherfucking SPACE? Priceless. They just don't make racers like that any more, and that makes me sad.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ooo good question. I remember being extremely surprised at how much I liked DKR. And in fact had much more fun with it compared to MK64.

Carbon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kinapuff: I still have trouble finding people who will play Snowboard Kids with me because no one ever had it as a kid.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Definitely Diddy Kong. Also, you said both of the games has more courses than the other, making your "Racing Courses" section kind of confusing.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Carryboy

Mario Kart no questions pack it up.

Carbon64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Carbon64
RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Mario Kart's Block Fort may be the most simple, maniacal course in any kart racing game ever. The number of hours I spent hurling insults at friends as we created devious traps for one another is worth more than any boss battle in Diddy Kong Racing.

Still, I hold DKR and MK64 in a place even above Crash Team Racing. That's high praise indeed!

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kinapuff

@carbon64: You and me both! I loved me some Snowboard kids, too.

If anything, this thread made me hate my childhood friends.

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GIyn
Loading Video...

DKR has more "character". Alakazoo

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Fuck the blue shell.

My vote is for DK Racing.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@kinapuff said:

Diddy Kong Racing wins for me. The singleplayer was amazing and I absolutely loved the vehicle variation and the fact that it had bosses and far more memorable moments than Mario Kart. Having that said, I've spent more time playing Mario Kart with friends since, well, a lot more people had Mario Kart, and I've had A LOT of fun just playing that.

But.. Acquiring T.T? Going to motherfucking SPACE? Priceless. They just don't make racers like that any more, and that makes me sad.

I barely remember going to space but man T.T was overpowered as fuck. Wasn't the lighthouse the spaceship? Man Rare did bonus worlds awesomely, Blast Corps with different planets, DKC secret worlds, all awesome.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By ajamafalous

Diddy Kong Racing is in my top 3 best N64 games.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By landon

Mario Kart 64 may be the worst Mario Kart in the series. I'll go Diddy Kong Racing.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Rare will ever go back to making awesome games...I can dream....

It's hard for me to decide between these two. I can easily say that Mario Kart 64 is better for multiplayer and DKR is better for single player, but I spent so much time playing both of these games as a kid that I really can't decide between the two. Both are N64 classics.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikeeegeee

@kinapuff said:

@carbon64: You and me both! I loved me some Snowboard kids, too.

Snowboard Kids represent. It deserves to be recognized with both of these games. So, so good. Soundtrack especially.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

DKR had that lunatic Drumstick. So, winner.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I've found that I like Mario Kart 64 increasingly less as time goes by, despite it being the first game I ever owned at any point in my life, and trying to explain why to my peers is a frustrating and occasionally futile experience. Diddy Kong Racing, by comparison, is kind of awesome until you realize that everyone just picks planes whenever you're playing multiplayer and planes are the best vehicle for 90% of the tracks you can use them in.