Mark up on Xbox's are rediculas

Peter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Peter

I dont know if this is my store only, however I recently found out that I can order game shit off my companies site despite we dont carry any. I get cost (what the company buys for) and when I checked out cost of an elite its $180! Like damn Micro has a lot of room for more price cuts if they should ever feel the need. I cant help but think PS3 and especially Wii are the same

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I've never seen a store charge more for an Xbox or any console then what it says on the consoles official site.

For instance:

Companys always refine production costs on their end so they can basically use cheaper materials or get those parts cheaper and still keep the price normal or only reduce slightly. That's called a profit margin, and no store is pushing it higher then the suggested retail price. If you want a console for really cheap, try ebay. There's always used and refurbished consoles there and even at retail games stores also for a lot cheaper.
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Optiow

I have not seen any console prices being rased, let alone Xbox.

kmiddlestadt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kmiddlestadt
Optiow said:
"I have not seen any console prices being rased, let alone Xbox."
no he means mark up from what Game stop pays for it from microsoft.

The only reason its so low though is that they buy in bulk... say 1000 units in a month for one region, then distribue those thousand to 10 stores in that area who then sell to us. If we bought in bulk, say 100 xboxs, they would obviously be cheaper, but thats never going to happen because we dont have that money, and we dont need that many.
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Megalon

It isn't only xbox's that are marked up..all products sold in stores are maked up in a similar fashion. In my opinion if there is any markup to be upset about, it's software. 

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138

How much is that in pounds ?

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Start buying them and selling the new systems online or to friends.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RsistncE
@Megalon: That's because production costs of the physical disc media doesn't take into account the production costs of the IP/media itself. It millions to produce a blockbuster nowadays.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RsistncE
@Alex_Murphy: Buddy tried it, got busted, lost his job.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Megalon:

What, a measly fucking $6 (maximum)? If you don't know anything about the cost breakdown, don't bother commenting.

Most companies (bar nintendo, and as of this year, MS) make a loss on the consoles at least towards the start of the consoles lifespan (S3 still is) in order to let the stores make a large chunk of money from the consoles to entice them to stock more. So the money is just going to a difference place, the price of the console is still fair, it just means MS is making a bit of a loss so the stores can make a bit more.