• 0 results
#1 Edited by deepwatergames (13 posts) -

I assume that the launch of the Mass Effect franchise for the PS3, until now an exclusive of the Xbox 360 and PC, is intended mainly for those who never played the game, because those who played the first game, on the Xbox 360 or PC, and loved it, most certain have played the second to. 
With this in mind why not launch both games, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 in a special promotion pack. If not I think new players to the franchise will be missing some of the series plot by not playing the first.  
Nevertheless as a PS3 owner and a Mass effect Fan I welcome this news with great enthusiasm.

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

more people get to play that so called 'masterpiece', so yeah why not

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Yes. Its a great thing. The game is great and everyone should have a chance to play it. 

#4 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

Deus ex and Mass effect 2 

I declare next year the year of sci-fi (for me atleast)

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

They're giving some kind of mini intro thingie with it, because I think Microsoft Studios has something to do with ME1 therefor no ME1 probably.

All in all it's a good thing, Mass Effect is a great series, one of my all time fav's.
Just hope we'll see some real stuff for ME3 soon, I can't wait.

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@luce said:
" Deus ex and Mass effect 2   I declare next year the year of sci-fi (for me atleast) "
Im a bit bummed for Deus EX...it looks dated..but..it might be the colors they are using. 
#7 Posted by Peacemaker (1106 posts) -

It is kind of weird that people who own a PS3 exclusively won't be able to play the first. They should release it as a download only game on PSN or something.

#8 Posted by deepwatergames (13 posts) -
@luce: I agree with you. Also think that next year PS3 will rock. Just hope this Deus ex is better than the last one...
#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Probably. I haven't played Mass Effect 2, so I can't say.

#10 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -

It's a good thing.
#11 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

What made Mass Effect 2 so great was seeing how the actions you did in the first game affected the game. I foresee this port being a disapointment without that feature.

#12 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Peacemaker said:
" It is kind of weird that people who own a PS3 exclusively won't be able to play the first. They should release it as a download only game on PSN or something. "
They never said that. They did not even mention the first game. So you never know. 
#13 Posted by deepwatergames (13 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: That would explain why there wont be a release of Mass Effect 1 on PS3, I've played the first one so for me it's ok.
#14 Posted by mikemau5 (5 posts) -

For those of you wondering why Mass Effect 1 isn't coming out on PS3, it's because Microsoft does hold the publishing license exclusively for the console version. The PC version was published by Bioware themselves. But to be fair, I expect Bioware to bridge the events really well.

#15 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

Well, it's not a bad thing. More potential people get to play this game. If they didn't have an X360 or a PC already, this is their opportunity to play Mass Effect 2. They're definitely going to miss out on some stuff that only they could get with the original, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

#16 Posted by I_love_Eva_Braun (481 posts) -

Yes it is,more people get to play it,Bioware gets more money,they make more games

#17 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -
@Miguelkosta said:
" I assume that the launch of the Mass Effect franchise for the PS3, until now an exclusive of the Xbox 360 and PC, is intended mainly for those who never played the game, because those who played the first game, on the Xbox 360 or PC, and loved it, most certain have played the second to. With this in mind why not launch both games, Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 in a special promotion pack. If not I think new players to the franchise will be missing some of the series plot by not playing the first.  Nevertheless as a PS3 owner and a Mass effect Fan I welcome this news with great enthusiasm. "
Microsoft still owns the rights for Mass Effect since they were the publisher. EA owns the rights for Mass Effect 2 so that's the reason its going to the PS3. 
Personally I don't think it matter too much. Mass Effect could be easily be explained in a five minute montage.
#18 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Wait, whats this? Really?

Mass Effect 1 is unplayable, so PS3 owners aren't missing much.

#19 Edited by rjayb89 (7726 posts) -

Like I said before and I'll say it again: NO, because now I have to buy this version alongside my 360 and PC versions.  And if they put that Mass Effect: Galaxy game on iPhones onto the Wii, I bet I would get that, too. 

To actually input something useful, yes and no.  Yes because it exposes PS3-only owners to a rich sci-fi game that shines in its character-development (to some extent).  And no because 360 fanboys are raging over "losing" an exclusive, which I find amusing really.  Either way, exclusivity for the 360 is looking very dim.

#20 Posted by Maxszy (2064 posts) -

Absolutely. Its one of the best games of this year, let alone perhaps of this whole console generation. Letting more people have access to that is a great thing.

#21 Posted by deepwatergames (13 posts) -
@rjayb89: Knowing Bioware, we can only expect good things.
#22 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

It's not good for fanboys.  It's good or doesn't matter for everyone else though.

#23 Posted by NikoAlexander57 (359 posts) -

It's great that all these other people get a chance to play a great game. They are however at a slight disadvantage in how ME1 was never on PS3 and seeing your choices going over into ME2 was a great thing. 

#24 Posted by ajamafalous (12029 posts) -

I think it's a bad move unless they release the first one too.

Which it sounds like they won't.

#25 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3071 posts) -

The first Mass Effect was published by Microsoft, so it won't ever see light on Sony's console.

#26 Posted by SugarRay (79 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 on PS3 - Is it a good thing?

Yes.
#27 Posted by iKANNIBAL (601 posts) -

Bioware makes the best RPG's, just felt i had to say it. 

Anyway, PC gamers always win muahahaha, its true we do muahaha.

#28 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" more people get to play that so called 'masterpiece', so yeah why not "
#29 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -
Yes.  It means ME3 will probably be on PS3, and I recently sold my 360 so now I can still play ME3.
#30 Posted by deepwatergames (13 posts) -

Does this means that Mass Effect 3 will also come out to PS3? 

If so this means bad news for the Xbox 360...

#31 Posted by crusnchill (856 posts) -

More money for Bioware to make ME 3 even better than it's probably already shaping up to be. 

And I know I would probably want it if I only had a PS3, so even more power to PS3 gamers that finally get to play an ME game. :-)

#32 Posted by Bluethunder35 (337 posts) -

Honestly, I wish people would play PC games on a PC. I don't know why people think the best versions of Fallout 3, Mafia II, Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect II are on a console like the Xbox 360. You're cheating yourself when you play PC games on a console. 

I'm sick of the gaming media and the "360 is all you need to play PC games" bullshit. I'm sorry but that's how I feel. I'd love to tell that to Victor Lucas and Scott C. Jones.

#33 Posted by Brendan (7834 posts) -
@Bluethunder35:
Or maybe as a student with a shitty laptop, I can't afford to play ME2 on a PC?  Computer science major types always seem to forget that not all of us have gaming quality PC's...
#34 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Not having a clear save to import isn't ideal, sure, but even going into ME2 cold, it's still one hell of a game. No way this isn't good for PS3 owners--the most one could say is that it's somewhat less good than the 360 or PC versions.

#35 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

A bad thing. I don't have a PS3 and as such time bioware spends developing/porting/adding an intro to this is time they aren't spent on something I care about. But that's a purely selfish reason.  

If I'm not being selfish, of course it's a good thing.

#36 Posted by Bluethunder35 (337 posts) -
@Brendan: You don't need anything fancy. I'm sure a nice $700 PC can play Mass Effect II. I just think you're cheating yourself playing PC games on a console. They never look as good, especially on the PS3. No matter how hard they try, these games will look like crap on the PS3. I love the PS3 but it was never meant to run PC-based games. Unless the game was built on the PS3 first, the game will not look good. Fallout: New Vegas will be awesome on the PC, very good on the 360 and buggy on the PS3, just like Fallout 3 was.
#37 Posted by JSUMAN (127 posts) -
@Bluethunder35: Mass effect 2 was better on Xbox.  The PC controls were crazy, the interface wasn't really optimized for PC, and it didn't really look that much better (to be fair, I only played the demo). 

However.  Now only if they would make gaming PC that didn't draw 700 watts whenever I wanted to play a game.
#38 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

It's a good thing, obviously. It's just a shame that more people won't get to experience ALL of the Mass Effect franchaise because Microsoft published the first game, meaning that it won't ever see the light of day on the PlayStation.

#39 Posted by Bluethunder35 (337 posts) -
@JSUMAN: I didn't know that. 

Maybe someday I'll try the demo and see for myself. I'm going to have to wait on the PC version since my computer can't run it. I'll be buying a new PC sometime in 2011.
#40 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -
@JSUMAN said:
" @Bluethunder35: Mass effect 2 was better on Xbox.  The PC controls were crazy, the interface wasn't really optimized for PC, and it didn't really look that much better (to be fair, I only played the demo).  However.  Now only if they would make gaming PC that didn't draw 700 watts whenever I wanted to play a game. "
Are you high
#41 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Definantly. Mass Effect 2 itself is amazing and i trust Bioware to make a good job of making up for the lack of Mass Effect 1.

#42 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

How could it possibly be a bad thing?

#43 Posted by Glak (613 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 is an amazing game, it being on the PS3 means more joy to everyone
Sure ME not being included sucks, but Mass Effect 2 is a great game by itself

#44 Posted by Brendan (7834 posts) -
@Bluethunder35:
Thanks for the tip.  Now give me $700 so I can buy a computer please.  I don't know what kind of entitled environment you were raised in, but A LOT of people can't just up and drop even a few hundred dollars on another computer.  I bought my $350 dollar Xbox 4 years ago, and my shitty laptop because I needed it for school.  I know it's often hard for you PC kids to understand, but we have THINGS TO PAY FOR  that must come before more expensive tech.  And once again, altough it may astound you, $700 IS a significant sum to pay for many people.
#45 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

is it a good thing?  Only in the sense that the 360 has one less exclusive in their pitiful catalog of exclusives and anything that brings angst to 360 fanboys causes my heart to soar with joy.  

#46 Posted by artofwar420 (6294 posts) -

Yes, also Halo on the PS3 and Metal Gear on the Xbox. Maybe one day Denis Dyack's dream of a one console future will cum true. At any rate, exclusives are a thing of the past. 

When there are no longer any exclusives, then we'll see how much longer we have three consoles.

#47 Posted by captain_clayman (3325 posts) -

if it comes to the PS3 it needs to have the first one too.

#48 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

I don't feel it's a detriment to bioware for them to port it over to ps3.  It's an Unreal engine game which many ps3 games have been able to use without issues on the hardware.   It was more or less Microsoft shelling out the $$$ to keep it limited to xbox and pc for a few months.

#49 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Microsoft has the right for the first game, however EA has the right to mass effect 2 and 3. Is it a good thing? To me it's not, it's really giving them a game that's so good, that's it's like uncharted 2 quality.  

Of course others might counter my point how wait, what about other ps3 exclusives that went over to the xbox360, like FFXIII, assassin's creed, gta4. I'm not talking about during development, that's not even an exclusive anymore, i'm talking about established games that's released and I think microsoft lost one of their microsoft (pc and xbox360) exclusives because of EA. It's one of the best games i've played this gen if not the best, however it's also good to share I suppose since it's so good, other ppl has the right to play it besides microsoft gamers.  

Then again you can buy the first game on pc too, it's not just the xbox360, you have other options.

#50 Posted by Enigma777 (6076 posts) -

I still think it's a kick in the balls that PS3 owners don't get the first one. I was going to get it for my Trey is both came on the same disk, but now I'll stick to the 360 versions and my save files.