Mass Effect 2 spoiler on GB frontpage

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AnimalFather

is it really necessary? i know there isnt much to talk about when it comes to videogames and the whole videogame "journalism" is soo overanalized (cause theres nothing else to talk about) that it makes fashion journalism look like 60minutes. but seriously you really have to put spoilers on the frontpage???

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Ineedaname
AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AnimalFather

ya but im not looking at the trailer cause i dont want to get spoiled! i never look at the trailers of games i want but this is on the front fucking page!!!

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By raidingkvatch
@Ineedaname said:
" It's not really a spoiler considering they released a reveal trailer for it =/
 http://www.giantbomb.com/mass-effect-2-introducing-samara/17-1703/ "
This. I don't really follow a lot of the stuff on games I'm almost definitely gonna get cuz I like to be surprised, MAss Effect is one of those games and this totally didn't bother me, I don't think it is in any way going to affect my reactions to the game when I play it.
Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MachoFantastico

Not sure you can call that a spoiler, yes it's a new character but they did that with the original game I believe. It's not exactly giving any of the story away, well the Tali trailer gave some spoiler details away but that's it.  

Wouldn't call it a spoiler though.

dubios451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dubios451

Yes, in my opinion this does not constitute a spoiler, its like a trailer for a movie. It doesn't reveal storyline spoilers nor does it give much information on the new squad mate. Besides, Bioware has been steadily revealing characters for months now. It seems a bit ridiculous to hold Giantbomb accountable for that.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ineedaname

I'll assume you never read the article, so all you got from it would have been a name and race. 
It's just like looking at the box art.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Kazona

If you honestly consider that to be a spoiler then you probably shouldn't visit any gaming websites because you'll be getting pissed off at "spoilers" a lot.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Bouke
@AnimalFather:  Are you talking about the asari teammember? That is hardly a spoiler! I mean like Ineedaname said, Bioware released a trailer for the character. If i remember correctly, they did the same thing with Mass Effect, was that game spoiled for you? This trailer/announcement makes me want to play this game even more!
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10  Edited By DrRandle

Should be more upset at Bioware spoiling their own game at E3 when they talked about endings of the game. :/

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By karneh

The damn game isn't even released yet. Unless the front page has leaked footage of sheperd shootin up an intergalactic space station full of russians then it's alright.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lowbrow

If a stillframe of a video on a website is in your mind a spoiler, then perhaps you should develop a time machine and transport yourself all the way back to the 1970's where the internet did not contain images. 

Or use a different website focused on videogames that are completely text based containing no interesting content at all, that doesn't actually have any content in it discussing videogames at all cause you know.... spoilers.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Rhaknar
@Kazona said:
" If you honestly consider that to be a spoiler then you probably shouldn't visit any gaming websites because you'll be getting pissed off at "spoilers" a lot. "
this
mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By mracoon
@Rhaknar said:
" @Kazona said:
" If you honestly consider that to be a spoiler then you probably shouldn't visit any gaming websites because you'll be getting pissed off at "spoilers" a lot. "
this "
Exactly. I don't mind finding out there's a new character because that's been known for ages now and it's not really a big deal but I never read the actual article because I don't really want to know more about the game until I play it myself.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Venatio

Soooo...I shouldnt watch that trailer is what you are saying?

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane
@Rhaknar said:
" @Kazona said:
this "
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Rhaknar said:
" @Kazona said:
this "
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Vorbis

Some people like to go into a new game knowing nothing, they avoid trailers and all news about said game. In a game like ME2 which is so story driven and has a great previous game, is it that hard to believe people don't want to go into it knowing who will join their team? as I understand most of the game is about "recruiting" these dangerous members.

But to be fair, you had to know there would be a new female Asari member, mainly because there are no males and the only returning member is not Liara.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By harrisonave

All I've ever seen is a few thumbnails of characters faces.  That's hardly a spoiler.  The fact there are new characters in the game is hardly surprising.  They did the same thing with the last Mass Effect.  We knew all about Wrex and a handful of other characters before the game even hit shelves. Didn't spoil the game for me, one bit.  If there was a real spoiler in any of the trailers that I don't know about, and you watched that trailer....well, that's kind of your fault for watching it. 

Also, if you think you've found a spoiler, don't point it out in the forums.  At least not in the topic of the title, lol.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilTwin

Eh, I kind of agree.  I wouldn't go as far as to call it a spoiler, but I'm trying to go media dark on this game, which isn't easy when some of the stories are literally "TALI IS BACK" or "GARRUS IS BACK".  I don't care if Bioware is releasing that information to the public, I still don't really want to know.  =/

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RVonE

Bioware WANTS you to know about this team member. Hence the reveal trailer that was released. Have you seen the box art? Yeah, there are some characters featured prominently on that thing. I guess you should buy the game with your eyes closed.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EvilTwin
@RVonE said:
" Bioware WANTS you to know about this team member. Hence the reveal trailer that was released. Have you seen the box art? Yeah, there are some characters featured prominently on that thing. I guess you should buy the game with your eyes closed. "
It's not as if companies are above reproach when it comes to releasing information about their game.  I've seen plenty of movies where I thought the trailer spoiled way too much.  Even though the trailer is what they want you to see about their movie.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#23  Edited By ImperiousRix

It seems like considering this a spoiler is like looking at the game's box art and considering THAT to be a spoiler simply because you don't recognize a few characters.

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

You know, much like there's a statute of limitations on when something can be considered a spoiler, there should also be a limitation on what is considered a spoiler.  A video that gives you a brief overview of a character you will meet in the game is no spoiler.  So what, you didn't know anything about the Geth or the Normandy or that you played as Shephard before playing ME1? I highly doubt that.  I understand wanting to have the entire game be fresh to you, but the only thing the video being on the homepage should have done was tell you that there is a character named Samara in the game.  If that's a spoiler to you, then no one can help you.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RVonE
@EvilTwin said:
" @RVonE said:
" Bioware WANTS you to know about this team member. Hence the reveal trailer that was released. Have you seen the box art? Yeah, there are some characters featured prominently on that thing. I guess you should buy the game with your eyes closed. "
It's not as if companies are above reproach when it comes to releasing information about their game.  I've seen plenty of movies where I thought the trailer spoiled way too much.  Even though the trailer is what they want you to see about their movie. "

While this is true--that is to say that I agree with you on this point--it is similarly true that what constitutes a spoiler and what does not is not an objective divide. So, instead of listening to every individual complaining about spoilers, I'd like to take a pragmatic stance and just go with the flow of the marketing machine that is in place. Also, the topic starter makes it sound like Giant Bomb is somehow at fault, here. Evidently, Giant Bomb has to rely on Bioware's PR and if Bioware says this should be revealed I don't see how Giant Bomb unnecessarily spoiled something about ME2.
While in principle I agree with your here, I still believe that all that stuff does not matter in this particular case. GB's front page shows the face of a character that was not in the first game, just like the game's box art shows characters that weren't in the first game. Spoilers? Really?
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EvilTwin

I'd actually prefer if they didn't go with the flow of the marketing machine.  I feel it makes for fairly boring news snippets when there are plenty of other places to go to find out every exhausting detail about a game months before it is released.  And honestly, Bioware's marketing as of late has been horrible.  They've been drip feeding us information in the form of cringe worthy trailers for both Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, and in my opinion, revealing far too much about their games.