Mass Effect 2: The final boss :obvious spoilers:

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

So - what's everyone's opinion on the final boss fight? Personally, while I thought the fight was fun, the actual design of the human reaper hybrid looked a bit out of character with the rest of the game. It was as if I was thrown into a battle with a giant terminator. While I like the idea that Reapers evolve by co-opting the biology of conquered races, I think perhaps this design was a bit too literal. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I literally went "OH CRAP" when the boss came back up and started attacking. It was actually kinda frightening because it stares you down while it's charging up to shoot.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie
@natetodamax said:
" I literally went "OH CRAP" when the boss came back up and started attacking. It was actually kinda frightening because it stares you down while it's charging up to shoot. "
How did you not see that coming? 

I to thought it felt a bit strange fighting a terminator but whatever
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax
@Pie said:
" @natetodamax said:
" I literally went "OH CRAP" when the boss came back up and started attacking. It was actually kinda frightening because it stares you down while it's charging up to shoot. "
How did you not see that coming?  I to thought it felt a bit strange fighting a terminator but whatever "
Because the thing fell?
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

kinda felt that the boss was pretty limited, it only shot lazer beams o death at you that you can easily avoid by staying in cover.   The boss was big enough that it could have tried to smash Shepard with it's hands.

felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By felixlighter

I didn't like the dialog in that particular scene.  It felt like the characters were making some logical leaps.  They tried to fill in the gaps with some explanations from EDI but it just didn't feel natural.  They didn't seem shocked enough when they came to the conclusion that the reapers were using human genetic material to create new reapers.  It was just off compared to the rest of the game.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By General_D23
@FelixLighter:
I didn't feel it was that much of a logic leap. One of the things that kept popping up over the course of the game was how humans were different and more diverse then other species. 

I will say that the general design of the boss could have been different. Really didn't like the whole Terminator thing, though I liked the actual fight and story behind it.
Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Siris

That boss fight was straight retarded, but at least it looked cool. I literally stayed behind the same piece of cover the entire fight and my squad mates did NOTHING.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By handlas

was pretty stupid.  big robot that sat in front of you while you shot it.  Nothing else to it really.  I took zero damage.  And as Siris said, my teammates did absolutely nothing during the fight except sit behind walls.  I made them use their powers but that was only when collectors came in.

felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By felixlighter
@General_D23:  I felt their assumption that they were unable to create Prothean reapers, was a logical leap.  They also assumed that was why they were using them for slave labor instead.  To me, it felt like there was no reason to assume that humans were being treated any differently now than the protheans were treated 50,000 years ago.  I would have assumed that they used conquered species to reproduce and for slave labor.   As for the human reaper, it made logical sense but I just felt that their reaction to the realization didn't seem natural.
Jimmy775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Jimmy775

Felt kind of ridiculous to me. Just because they're using human genetic material as they have done with other species' in the past doesn' t mean it actually has to look like a human. Which is to say - such a construction isn't functional at all for it's intended tasks I would think. Smacking Shepard, not being one of those- more space travel, laserbeams, etc. 

It just struck me as a <Kyle> Really?...Really?</Kyle> moment.

The mechanics (on normal) were not the least bit challenging but that could have been said for the entire campaign on normal, I suppose. But I'm getting off topic.

mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By mowgers

While the boss design felt a little awkward, the fight was fucking epic. Not because it was particularly dynamic, or original, but because I delivered the final blow to the boss by shooting it in the eye with Cain. Heavy artillery, meet face. Face, meet heavy artillery. Smashing.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

For you people who say that you just stayed behind cover in one area, try playing it on Insanity. I believe that the best ME2 experience is to be had on Insanity anyway, but this fight is just plain retarded. 

Instead of just charging his shots, he will *constantly* call for aid from Harbinger and some drones, he will smash platforms more often, he charges way more often and he can appear anywhere in a 180 degree angle in front of you. So, no one area of cover is safe - if you stay behind one, he could come up beside you and you are forced to move, but the problem is there may be a Harbinger around so you'd have to get rid of him fast and sometimes that's no easy task when he's spamming fire and that dumb biotic blast. Oh, and collectors are shooting at you as well. 

Another thing while he's charging on Insanity, he will move his head so you can't get a good shot on his weak spots - biotics are the only way to go for that otherwise you won't even hit him.  

It was one of the most difficult and satisfying boss battles I've played in recent years... I actually felt like I did when I was a kid beating games like Spawn, just after trying for so long and finally getting it. Really awesome fight. 

As far as his looks go, he was pretty scary. The camera angle when you're behind cover and he's just towering over you, with his eyes staring into your soul... really creepy.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By DukeTogo

This is the second act, think Empire Strikes Back, big crazy shit happens - but no epic boss fight you win - you only survive with some losses.  It's setting up the third game, there you will see the grand finale, and possibly a Normandy/Reaper hybrid with what they find from the tech.  While the final boss was a letdown, the whole final mission is the boss.  One section where your combat, judgment, and previous work are tested - and where several team-mates can be lost.

I also suggest playing on a harder difficulty, normal is pretty ridiculous, especially if you took the time to upgrade everything.  I just hope we don't have to wait another two years for Mass Effect 3, especially with so much of 2 setting it up.