• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pleasebecalm (5 posts) -

Instig8iveJournalism hits the nail on the head again with this brilliant documentary on Mass Effect 3.

I also love the fact he points out the flaws of the series, where as others deny it. The Mass Effect series has always been shit, even the widely beloved first one is just as terrible as the others and people hold in high regard because of nostalgia. The naive notion that Mass Effect 3's only major flaw is the ending, when the rest of the game is shit. If I could some up the series in a nutshell, is that Mass Effect would have to be the Call of Duty of RPGs. Anybody who's partaking in the "Retake ME3" petition is wasting their time and should play real RPGs like Fallout.

I also love how he pointed out how overrated Bastion is. Bastion was a mediocre game, that proves that Greg Kasavin was not only a terrible journalist but a terrible game designer as well. Bastion wasn't the first game to feature a real-time narrator, System Shock did.

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

This isn't flamebait or anything.

#3 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

"There can be a message in them without making a statement."

How did I never see any of this before.

Also this is great.
#4 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

@CL60 said:

#5 Posted by pleasebecalm (5 posts) -

@CL60 said:

This isn't a flamebait, I'm educating the feeble minded with honest content.

#6 Posted by adoggz (2046 posts) -

Thanks for sharing.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

Didn't somebody already do this? And better?

#8 Posted by pleasebecalm (5 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

Didn't somebody already do this? And better?

Instig8iveJournalism >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MrBtongue

Yes, somebody already did this. But better? Absolutely not.

#9 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

@CL60 said:

This isn't a flamebait, I'm educating the feeble minded with honest content.

Amazing, simply amazing. Pat yourself on the back for that reply.

#10 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

I don't entirely agree with the part about Bastion.

As for ME, I never really thought of it that way. I guess it's kind of true that it does reveal how meaningless all of your choices were. That makes me sad. But it's hard to argue against.

#11 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

I like Mass Effect.

#12 Posted by pleasebecalm (5 posts) -

@Dtat said:

As for ME, I never really thought of it that way. I guess it's kind of true that it does reveal how meaningless all of your choices were. That makes me sad. But it's hard to argue against.

Many people do realize that ME3's choices equate to nothing. But what most people are dishonest to realize is that Mass Effect has always been shit, especially compared to the superior and underrated Alpha Protocol.

#13 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@CL60 said:

It's not a crouchingspock thread and I haven't heard anyone mention Total War yet so I think it's legit.

#14 Posted by pleasebecalm (5 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

I like Mass Effect.

Good to know you have poor taste in video games.

#15 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

I saw this a while ago and thought it was great especially but later I realized I disagree with it just a little.

For one thing so what if the devs think their game is art even if it isn't art? ME3 not being art doesn't suddenly revoke their right to make a shitty ending if they wanted to. Art or not they are still the creators of the game.

also, I haven't played any ME title, but the vid also argues that ME series never changes anything due to your choices. But if that's the case, then there should be no problem with the fact that your choices don't matter toward the ending either. If anything the game is being consistent and in that sense it would actually make less sense for your choices to matter all of a sudden.

#16 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4605 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

@Dtat said:

Many people do realize that ME3's choices equate to nothing. But what most people are dishonest to realize is that Mass Effect has always been shit, especially compared to the superior and underrated Alpha Protocol.

Oh, you're one of those people.

#17 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

I wouldn't be surprise if any of you are reddifags. You aren't honest like us at /v/.

:(

#18 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

@Dtat said:

I don't think it follows that it's shit. It follows that it's a big, dumb, and pulpy theme-park ride of a game. And there's nothing wrong with indulging in some empty fun sometimes. As long as you don't confuse it with high art. Which I don't.

#19 Edited by Veiasma (194 posts) -

I more or less agree with him on everything.

Especially on the art debate.

@pleasebecalm said:

I wouldn't be surprise if any of you are reddifags. You aren't honest like us at /v/.

I miss that horrible place.

#20 Posted by Toug (302 posts) -

@AngelN7: Me too!

*high five*

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

god, I wish and hope and would pay money to have all trolls just shot on the street. In front of their parents. 
Waste of "human" life

#22 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

This thread & poster is like something right out of the 'how to be a terrible person on the internet' handbook.

#23 Posted by SuperMeatToy (35 posts) -

Am I alone in thinking that the Giant Bomb community is one of the least likely to act like sheep? I hope I'm right...

#24 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

people hold in high regard because of nostalgia. The naive notion that Mass Effect 3's only major flaw is the ending, when the rest of the game is shit. If I could some up the series in a nutshell, is that Mass Effect would have to be the Call of Duty of RPGs. Anybody who's partaking in the "Retake ME3" petition is wasting their time and should play real RPGs like Fallout.

I like how you say its all nostalgia, then in the same paragraph tell them to play Fallout.

#25 Posted by Brendan (7696 posts) -

Congratulations, you're 13 and you just discovered that you're the most intelligent person on the planet. Don't worry, your findings will be refuted in about 6 or 7 years (hopefully).

#26 Posted by SuperMeatToy (35 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@pleasebecalm said:

people hold in high regard because of nostalgia. The naive notion that Mass Effect 3's only major flaw is the ending, when the rest of the game is shit. If I could some up the series in a nutshell, is that Mass Effect would have to be the Call of Duty of RPGs. Anybody who's partaking in the "Retake ME3" petition is wasting their time and should play real RPGs like Fallout.

I like how you say its all nostalgia, then in the same paragraph tell them to play Fallout.

Is it weird that there's talk of nostalgia about a series that finished a couple of months ago? I find it odd

#27 Posted by david3cm (635 posts) -

Know whats more fun than Fallout, Fallout 3. I say this is all seriousness.

#28 Edited by Tennmuerti (8012 posts) -

As probably one of the most dedicated fans of the original Fallout's on GB this is goddamn embarassing.
Please don't associate all hardcore Fallout fans with this kind of attitude, i implore you dudes.

While I agree on a lot of points presented by the linked video, the approach of the poster is disgusting. 
Nor was there any reason to shit on Bastion. This "proving" is a joke.
Also the video made me /facepalm "now confirmed indoctrination theory" lol, when the Final Hours is not actually confirming one way or another, in fact it makes a better case against indoctrination theory.

I do love Fallout and I do love Alpha Protocol and I do dislike ME3 ending (hell i've spent hours upon hours arguing with people and ponting out the negatives)
But FUCK >.<
The video misses so many points, and shitting all over other games, that are quite so different is just not conductive to a good argument at all.
And starting out this conversation by insulting everyone with such petty stuff as "feebleminded" isn't either.
There are plenty of people on GB that have already made massive and better arguments discussing, agreeing with and disagreeing with the points made in the video. (months ago)
The condenscening attitude towards other people's opinions or tastes in video games isn't going to help bring about any good conversation.

#29 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

Anybody who's partaking in the "Retake ME3" petition is wasting their time and should play real RPGs like Fallout.

Just... put yourself out of your misery.

#30 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

@AngelN7 said:

I like Mass Effect.

I don't know Mass Effect taste like Ryncol to me.

#31 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5138 posts) -

This again..

Edit: nice I see you made an account just to troll.

#32 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

i feel like the OP just watched the video and now thinks he is the smartest perosn with out forming an opinion, wake up dude

#33 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Bastion is an amazing video game. This however... is a very very flamey topic overall...

#34 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3576 posts) -

@pleasebecalm:

If you're going to troll, you can at least use the correct sub-forum.

#35 Posted by WilliamHenry (1201 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

@AngelN7 said:

I like Mass Effect.

Get off your fucking high horse and grow the fuck up. Nobody gives a shit if you don't like ME. If someone does, then great, let them like it. Why do you care so much about what others think? If you think the ME series is shit, then you either have ridiculously high standards that will never be met, or you're an asshole that is trolling. Especially when you claim Alpha Protocol is so much better when it is so similar to ME.

#36 Posted by onan (1283 posts) -

It would be a lot easier to agree with your points or have some civil discourse if you weren't being such a bag of dicks about it. This thread is an obnoxious troll (as is the OP) and should be closed.

#37 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3576 posts) -

@onan said:

It would be a lot easier to agree with your points or have some civil discourse if you weren't being such a bag of dicks about it. This thread is an obnoxious troll (as is the OP) and should be closed.

Which is a shame, because the video raises some good points, and isn't inflammatory nonsense. But I agree, this thread is pretty much trash.

#38 Edited by Fozimuth (170 posts) -

Yeeeaaaahh...

#39 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

that video made me feel sleepy and lowered my self-esteem, thanks! 

i think im gonna go down some chloroform to up my spirits

#40 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -
@pleasebecalm said:

@AngelN7 said:

I like Mass Effect.

if you said that to my face i would smack you on the back of the head lightly and call you a douchebag. 

but you didn't, so it's whatever
#41 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@SuperMeatToy said:

@Dagbiker said:

@pleasebecalm said:

Is it weird that there's talk of nostalgia about a series that finished a couple of months ago? I find it odd

Now that you mention it, that does sound weird. 
Man, I wish things used to be like the good old days, you know, like last Monday. 
#42 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

You called Bastion mediocre and called Fallout a "Real RPG" your opinion is invalid.

#43 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

As probably one of the most dedicated fans of the original Fallout's on GB this is goddamn embarassing. Please don't associate all hardcore Fallout fans with this kind of attitude, i implore you dudes. While I agree on a lot of points presented by the linked video, the approach of the poster is disgusting. Nor was there any reason to shit on Bastion. This "proving" is a joke.Also the video made me /facepalm "now confirmed indoctrination theory" lol, when the Final Hours is not actually confirming one way or another, in fact it makes a better case against indoctrination theory. I do love Fallout and I do love Alpha Protocol and I do dislike ME3 ending (hell i've spent hours upon hours arguing with people and ponting out the negatives)But FUCK >.< The video misses so many points, and shitting all over other games, that are quite so different is just not conductive to a good argument at all. And starting out this conversation by insulting everyone with such petty stuff as "feebleminded" isn't either. There are plenty of people on GB that have already made massive and better arguments discussing, agreeing with and disagreeing with the points made in the video. (months ago)The condenscening attitude towards other people's opinions or tastes in video games isn't going to help bring about any good conversation.

I agree with this completely.

Bashing Bastion, and Greg Kasavin personally, just makes your initial post seem malicious, hateful and tears away from any relevant points you might have wanted to make.

The initial post also denied other people the ability to have their own specific taste in games, so well done in turning away any potentially receptive audience there.

And while it needs no defending here, I'd just like to say that the first Mass Effect was the best of the bunch and a great game and a good RPG.

#44 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

lol 4chan? get out of here

#45 Posted by Kaiserreich (686 posts) -

Mass Effect 3 was a shit game, I agree. Now shut up about it.

#46 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@pleasebecalm: gone already? come back dont give up so easily

#47 Posted by Three0neFive (2288 posts) -

@pleasebecalm said:

The fuck does that have to do with anything?

People like you are the reason why nobody takes us seriously.

#48 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

whelp he got out of here fast

#49 Posted by Kaiserreich (686 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Being in the presence of such a kewl kid scared him off.

#50 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

Probably went back to /v/ to let everyone known what a master troll he is!