Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

Now I've played through Mass Effect twice now, currently going through my third playthrough and it's easy to forget what a great game that was. It's worth noting I'm playing the PC version which saw some key improvements over the console version but it's still a brilliant game. Some will love it while some will hate it, that's to be expected but it's so easy to forget what a stunning job Bioware did with Mass Effect.

Of course you could pick on small minor issues such as the delay between sentences in conversations or problems loading textures on the console version. But it still amazes me that they somehow created a Universe that as more depth then the two KOTOR games put together (as much as I loved KOTOR). When you compare it to the lore and history of Star Wars, Bioware did a fantastic job of providing such unique information about the Universe they personally created on their own. It's a Universe that's rather exciting and fresh, of course a lot of this is my own personal views and I'm sure some of you will go on and say ''Worst game ever, so overated'' but that's perfectly fine. You probably loved Halo 3 when I thought Halo 3 was garbage except for the multiplayer.... it's all about tastes. 

But seriously, Bioware seem to be able to create games that are really pushing the genre forward. I loved KOTOR so maybe I am a little biased but even friends of mine who hated KOTOR loved what Mass Effect did. It wasn't a perfect game at all, but it was one of the few games that blew any Japanese RPG out of the water. That's my personal view, I actually wish more Japanese developers would learn from Bioware because I'm personally disappointed with a lot of Japanese RPG's these past few years, they seem desperate to stick to the classic RPG days of the PS1 and further back. But my third playthrough as also made me truly appriate what was created in Mass Effect, it's a stunning looking game (though I have NO idea why the hell they put that film grain in there). 

You may hate me for my views, but I honestly wish more developers were willing to take risks in the RPG genre, rather then following the crowd like so many do.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Cerza

While I don't think it's better than KOTOR, I do agree 100% that Mass Effect is an absolute masterpiece.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Drebin_893

You should be. You may want to take a shower to get the dirty off.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By End_Boss
Drebin_893 said:
"You should be. You may want to take a shower to get the dirty off."
I'll never be clean.
Avatar image for existentnighthawk
existentnighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By existentnighthawk

Well the story was good for one thing. The gameplay mechanics could have been a wee bit better executed. Then again I have only played the 360 version. I was too scared to put in the PC version for fear of DRM...I kinda got passed that now but eh... Anyway I think it was an overall exciting experience, midway through I had a feeling I knew the 'plot twist' or maybe it was a noticible set piece. What I found interesting was the exploration and all the different aliens you could interact with, the commerce, and the systemics.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Jothel

I'm just going through my 3rd or 4th playthrough (been a while sicne i last played so can't really remember) and am still loving it, quality game all around.
Question: how many people sat through the credits the first time because they were just awed by the ending? First time, i just kinda sat there, listening to the credits music (which i really like actually) just like "............woah......."

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

The game was a little short compared with KOTOR, but man the ending was worth the ride. The whole game had an epic movie feel.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Binman88

I also own it for PC and loved it. I will eventually get around to playing through again, I just have too many other games to complete first. Can't wait for ME2.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Osaladin

My only gripe with the game, was that you didn't really have opportunities to abuse your SPECTER powers. It's fine that I got my own ship and all that, but I wanted at some parts where I had to run around to do small junk, to just be like, "Yo, I'm a Specter, I am the law!"  I wanted to order people around and stuff, that would have been really cool. 

But yeah, great game, still play through it occasionally, and I've beat the game using every class. I love Bioware's RPGs, the story is great, gameplay is pretty solid, characters are awesome, universe is creative, very high replayability, and of course, they make awesome sex simulators.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne

Mass Effect is one of the games that are good, but somehow feel really great after you're finished. A few weeks later you look back and think, wow, what a great experience that was. The little annoyances disappear over time and you realize how much of it really impressed you and stuck with you.

It's similar to Silent Hill 2 in that regard. When that came out, it was generally praised and well received, but only after a few years people really began to say (and realize) what a fantastic achievement that game is; now it is generally counted among the greatest this medium has to offer.

I can imagine people ten years from now still talking  about the impression Mass Effect made.

But then again, I haven't played KOTOR.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By maxszy

Its an incredible game, no doubt.

Though to say it has more depth than KOTOR is going a bit overboard. Especially the two combined. KOTOR has the whole Star Wars universe behind it. Perhaps if you are just considering the time period in the Star Wars universe that KOTOR took place, maybe Mass Effect is on the same depth as KOTOR.

That being said though, I did love Mass Effect. I've played through it four times for crying out loud! KOTOR about 5 or so times over the years. They both were great.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I like everything about it, imo it's way better than fallout 3 (especially the shooting mechanics) and if it had better side quest like oblivion quality, the game would of been the best rpg game ever.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

Mass Effect was a pretty good game, I just wish Bioware didn't water it down from their other RPGs so much.

KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By KingOfIceland

I've played through that game about 8 times, and not just because of achievement points (although I've got a full 1050 in that game, thank you very much), but also because the world Drew Karpyshin and his posse of writers have masterfully created. The  look, atmosphere and feel of it is really unlike anything I've ever experienced in entertainment and I've gotten more enjoyment out of just reading the codex-is than playing most games.

Make no mistake, Technically and gameplay-wise it's kinda busted and "janky" but it manages to make up for that with it's story and unique world.  

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By slinky6

Mass Effect definitely has it's share of problems, but overall I can't think of a better overall gaming experience I've had in my life up to this point.   Can't wait for part 2.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By demonbear

As a GAME, mass effect is not perfect, there are mechanics that are not working so well, on the xbox version, theres a constant graphic popup that's tough on the eye and theres a bit of a grind in the missions.

BUT, the writing, the style, the characters, the MUSIC, man is that music good.

Played it through twice now and a 3rd run is certainly in my plans right now somewhere down the road.