#1 Posted by alternate (2687 posts) -

Someone (Brad?) mentioned on the latest TNT that with Guild Wars 2 coming up that they should get Matt Rorie in, an idea met with general agreement.

Free up some of that CBS budget that was promised to get Rorie in as a freelancer and he can cover GW2, Panderia and Dark Souls PC to name just a few.

So basically, post if you agree and make sure this post says visible on the forum to remind them all of what a great idea they had.

Thankyou.

#2 Posted by Aegon (5408 posts) -

Freelance?   

#3 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

how about instead we just fire everyone else and make matt rorie do a podcast by himself

#4 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

I find it odd that you guys assume that he wants to return to game writing. Perhaps he wants to do something else?

#5 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

I'm really for the idea of Rorie covering GW2.

#6 Posted by Slax (894 posts) -

He seems like a guy who is interested in a lot of the games the rest of the crew doesn't care for. So I could definitely see a benefit to him being brought on. But as @Phatmac said, only if he is interested.

#7 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10519 posts) -

They had Rorie in for that Magic the Gathering game. There is precedence for this.

#8 Posted by EuanDewar (4775 posts) -

He went for an interview I know that

#9 Edited by handlas (2661 posts) -

F that... hire the fool.

Has he got a full-time job yet?

More Rorie and Alex is what I want. I really miss Screened... took it off my favs today.

#10 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Is he still unemployed?

#11 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

@Slax: They probably would have hired him by now. I think that ship has sailed. I'd be surprised if he finds work in the games industry.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36062 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I find it odd that you guys assume that he wants to return to game writing. Perhaps he wants to do something else?

You mean this?

#13 Posted by RecSpec (3766 posts) -

As others have said, if it was going to happen, I think it would've happened by now. 

#14 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I find it odd that you guys assume that he wants to return to game writing. Perhaps he wants to do something else?

none of us are assuming anything?

I mean brad muir will stay at double fine and it's silly to think he won't, doesn't mean I don't also want him to join GB.

#15 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

While we are requesting stupid shit, can I request an Endurance run of Balder's Gate II.

EDIT: I guess I should clarify, I do not think saying, "Hey, I really like Matt Rorrie" or even saying "I wish Matt Rorrie was in more video content." is bad.

But I doubt, this will have any effect on anything. I do not think Rorrie will see this, and if he has decided to change paths, change back ( but looking at his blog I doubt that is true ).And I do not think a single topic is enough to change the minds of whatever dickhead wouldn't, if that is in fact the case, hire Rorrie. I also do not think this topic will fast track the process of getting him hired if he is in fact already being considered.

#16 Posted by Murtaug (308 posts) -

Rorie posts some what regularly to a blog he set up here.

He has done some pieces on movies, life, topics that interest him and even some stuff on video games. Give it a read if you are a Rorie fan. I do not believe he has posted any thing to date in regards to regular work, but he is a talented guy and I am sure he will find work some where. I too, as many others have expressed not only in this thread but since the Whiskey break-up, have shown that we hope to see him turn up in the Giant Bomb family in some way. He did recently post a GB Blog about Alan Wake here, there is also an interesting follow up to that blog post on his Tumbler blog.

I personally hope for the best for the guy, Rorie was always one of my favorite writers at Whiskey.

#17 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

As others have said, if it was going to happen, I think it would've happened by now.
#18 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

I'm all for him covering those games. They certainly seem like a good fit judging by what he has done in the past.

#19 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@RecSpec said:

As others have said, if it was going to happen, I think it would've happened by now.

why did you just empty quote someone who said the exact same thing as you in a previous post

#20 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I think they can come to a decision on their own.

#21 Posted by KlUMZeE (317 posts) -

I'd love to see Rorie as a permanent member of the site, he's awesome. OH MY GOD PUPPIES! I JUST WANNA EAT THEM UP!!!

#22 Posted by Milkman (16540 posts) -

What makes you think that Giant Bomb has the power to hire anyone?

#23 Posted by ThatFrood (3373 posts) -
Freelancer endurance run starring Matt Rorie, let's go.
#24 Posted by AssInAss (2545 posts) -

Considering how he "bangs out" his blog posts with not much depth, I don't want to follow him through just that but rather through video form. I can take or leave his movie reviews since none of them have had much of an influence on me, but he's just a fun personality on-screen.

#25 Posted by Zacagawea (1584 posts) -

@Milkman said:

What makes you think that Giant Bomb has the power to hire anyone?

What makes you think they don't?

Jeff's made it pretty clear he wants more people on the site and it seems like the only thing that is stopping him from doing so is a place for them to sit.

#26 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I find it odd that you guys assume that he wants to return to game writing. Perhaps he wants to do something else?

I think he wants a paycheck over being unemployed. Also, working with his friends.

@Zacagawea said:

@Milkman said:

What makes you think that Giant Bomb has the power to hire anyone?

What makes you think they don't?

Jeff's made it pretty clear he wants more people on the site and it seems like the only thing that is stopping him from doing so is a place for them to sit.

A few weeks ago they had trouble getting CBS to REMOVE desks from their office. I know you were being facetious, but I think money is a big reason they aren't hiring more video people (and possibly Rorie).

#27 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1233 posts) -

I miss Rorie...

#28 Posted by SSully (4129 posts) -

Yes.

#29 Posted by wjb (1639 posts) -

I'd love to have Rorie back, and it's a plus that he's a familiar face so half the community won't immediately hate him for being someone new.

The only issue is he never seems deeply committed to video games like the Giant Bomb crew. He only seems to get into particular games (World of Warcraft, Dark Souls, Space Pirates and Zombies, etc.) and exclusively plays the hell out of those. I'm sure if he was hired, he'll play anything given to him because he's a professional (he was a games guide writer, after all), but it's got to be something he's interested in.

Basically, I want them to hire someone who's perfect for whatever openings they may have, not because they used to be "best buds" or whatever.

#30 Posted by Phatmac (5722 posts) -

@Wrighteous86: Don't you think that they would've hired him by now? Or at least offered him a job?

#31 Posted by alternate (2687 posts) -

I don't think they have the budget for a new staff member yet - but that doesn't mean that they don't have any money for some freelance work. Hell if they are cheap he might even do it for fun.

Remember, as I said in the thread, it was their idea to get Matt in - this is just to remind them of their good idea.

#32 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

Better idea: make him a regular member of the staff...because goddammit they should!

#33 Posted by alternate (2687 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Better idea: make him a regular member of the staff...because goddammit they should!

baby steps

#34 Posted by Jimbo (9775 posts) -

There are no games for us to cover.
 
A game is coming out - let's get somebody in to cover it!

#35 Posted by hanktherapper (374 posts) -

Matthew Rorie's awesome, but someone starts a thread like this every week.

#36 Posted by Athadam (673 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@RecSpec said:

As others have said, if it was going to happen, I think it would've happened by now.

Jeff said in a jar video that Giantbomb is definitely thinking of expanding - but is still in the process of carefully choosing who and when.

#37 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@Wrighteous86: Don't you think that they would've hired him by now? Or at least offered him a job?

Yup, that's why, in the same post I responded to you with, I mentioned that money is probably a big reason they haven't hired anyone yet, video production or otherwise (aside from that guy they seem to be sharing with Gamespot).

#39 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I thought this was going to be about how Matt Rorie was working as a police officer. Disappointed.

#40 Posted by Slag (4042 posts) -

Personally I'd prefer new blood.

As much as I love seeing a lot of dudes from my generation, the future of Giant Bomb is probably best served by getting some younger voices into the crew.

#41 Posted by joetom (94 posts) -

He's certainly shown a lot of interest in stuff like Guild Wars 2. I don't really see this happening, but I'd be down to see him show up in a podcast or something.

#42 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

@Animasta said:

how about instead we just fire everyone else and make matt rorie do a podcast by himself

We had that. It was fucking terrible.

#43 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

@alternate said:

@jakob187 said:

Better idea: make him a regular member of the staff...because goddammit they should!

baby steps

You know, I got to thinking about it after I posted this...

Don't make Rorie a member of the crew. He's got issues with the way that some things get worded...or some words in particular...and I just don't know how well it will all mesh together.

Just saying - Giant Bomb gets blue as hell sometimes.

#44 Posted by AuthenticM (3699 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@alternate said:

@jakob187 said:

Better idea: make him a regular member of the staff...because goddammit they should!

baby steps

Don't make Rorie a member of the crew. He's got issues with the way that some things get worded...or some words in particular...and I just don't know how well it will all mesh together.

What are you talking about ?

#45 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

@AuthenticM said:

@jakob187 said:

@alternate said:

@jakob187 said:

Better idea: make him a regular member of the staff...because goddammit they should!

baby steps

Don't make Rorie a member of the crew. He's got issues with the way that some things get worded...or some words in particular...and I just don't know how well it will all mesh together.

What are you talking about ?

I think he's getting at Rorie being a more proper dude where the GB crew are improper fucking duders. I don't think it would be an issue, I just don't think Rorie is interested in covering games anymore. That being said Rorie as a member of the Bomb crew would be a dream come true.

#46 Posted by jakob187 (21645 posts) -

@Irvandus said:

@AuthenticM said:

@jakob187 said:

@alternate said:

@jakob187 said:

Better idea: make him a regular member of the staff...because goddammit they should!

baby steps

Don't make Rorie a member of the crew. He's got issues with the way that some things get worded...or some words in particular...and I just don't know how well it will all mesh together.

What are you talking about ?

I think he's getting at Rorie being a more proper dude where the GB crew are improper fucking duders. I don't think it would be an issue, I just don't think Rorie is interested in covering games anymore. That being said Rorie as a member of the Bomb crew would be a dream come true.

Sure. Something along those lines.

#47 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Considering how things ended the first time, I can't imagine he's too keen on returning.

#48 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11487 posts) -

@Animasta said:

how about instead we just fire everyone else and make matt rorie do a podcast by himself

Did you ever listen to any of those BtSD solo episodes, where it's just Rorie talking to himself for an hour? They were kinda hard to listen to, honestly.

On topic: Yes, they should hire Rorie, though I think they would have already if they were going to.

Online