Matt Rorie's Top Ten...

• 67 results
Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Did we get a top ten list from Matt...I'm having a hard time finding it on the site...I think @rorie is a pretty cool dude, and would love to see what his favorite games were this year.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

What games had puppies in them this year?

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Numbers 1-n

Puppies!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bigjeffrey

Watch_Dogs would of been 1-10.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Watch_Dogs would of been 1-10.

absolutely not.

biggest disappointment due to lack of dogs

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassins Creed 4 would be his number one because you can pet dogs in it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know if Rorie played 10 games released in 2013.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By AlmostSwedish

You are a top ten list

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Krockett

His #1?

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I was wondering about that too. What the heck Giant Bomb?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD Ghosts has dawgz, I heard.

Rise of the Triad has dog mode.

So that's two.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't he say on a livestream he wouldn't have anywhere near close to ten games to put on a 2013 top ten list? He's not gonna have one as he doesn't have 10 worthy games.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Krockett

Didn't he say on a livestream he wouldn't have anywhere near close to ten games to put on a 2013 top ten list? He's not gonna have one as he doesn't have 10 worthy games.

Some people have done shorter list...I dont see why that would be a big deal.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I was curious why he wasn't part of the GOTY podcasts. When he was a stand in on the Bombcast that one time I thought he was really great.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

1. Gone Home
2-10. Fucking hell, guys.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I was curious why he wasn't part of the GOTY podcasts. When he was a stand in on the Bombcast that one time I thought he was really great.

ME TOO...I think he is a real asset to the site...would love to see more from him...sure he puts his foot in his mouth time to time...but thats also one of his most enduring traits.

MORE MATT RORIE IN 2014 I SAY!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm guessing Matt just didn't play many games this year. Stuck with that WoW garbage game for garbage dumpsters

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

You're a top ten

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pantzing_nome: Wait....wait....whaaaat? I know Ive seen cats but I haven't seen any dogs? I need to pet some virtual dogs! Where are they?

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon x/y sorta had puppies in it so it wins

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No Caption Provided

Game of the Year, every year.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you're a matt rorie's top ten

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I was hoping someone would do this.

I got them all off of Jeff's Tumblr....SO I'm not going to claim to have done the work.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Rorie I must know your top 10

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinkin' Gone Home was his GOTY. He tweeted that he wrote a whole essay about it, but was discouraged from posting it now due to all of the horrible forum backlash (that of course he has to deal with, himself), so it'll go up on the site in a bit.

Other than that... Mists of Pandaria FTW?

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity said:

Well, I mean the GOTY podcasts were pretty well served with the usual Bombcast crew plus Alex via Skype and Patrick flying in to join in. Drew was already pretty quiet for most of the time, I think Matt would probably have been one duder too many.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

If you want to know his top 10 and if he's going to do a list, ask him.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At some point in his life Rorie is going to regrett that everytime he is mentioned people start talking about puppies. Also yeah, where is his list? Come on Rorie!

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dallas_Raines

He's tweeting right now about how venomous commenters can be in GOTY season. It's obvious that he doesn't want to subject himself to that kind of bullshit, especially if Gone Home is a favorite.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

I'm thinkin' Gone Home was his GOTY. He tweeted that he wrote a whole essay about it, but was discouraged from posting it now due to all of the horrible forum backlash (that of course he has to deal with, himself), so it'll go up on the site in a bit.

Other than that... Mists of Pandaria FTW?

Going offtopic here, what's the controversy about? Is it touchy subjects, themes, messages, the game being an indie title, the game being "hipper-than-thou", experimental non-game in the vein of david cage, convert communism propaganda or what? I missed coverage on this.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Snail

You're a list.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By joshwent

Going offtopic here, what's the controversy about? Is it touchy subjects, themes, messages, the game being an indie title, the game being "hipper-than-thou", experimental non-game in the vein of david cage, convert communism propaganda or what? I missed coverage on this.

All of the above, I guess? Really, I couldn't even say. (i'm not an asshole)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@trafalgarlaw: Gone Home is the big indie darling of 2013, anonymous despises anything not published by a billion dollar corporation. There's plenty of fair criticism out there of Gone Home, but the loudest, angriest screaming has to do with it being "lesbian, hipster propaganda" and a 'non-game'. There's also the insane conspiracy element Rorie was talking about.

Look at the comment section of Zoe Quinn's top ten, there's like over a hundred deleted comments where people acted like savages because she listed small, indie titles.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's tweeting right now about how venomous commenters can be in GOTY season. It's obvious that he doesn't want to subject himself to that kind of bullshit, especially if Gone Home is a favorite.

Yeah, I saw that. Breaks my heart because I really love the man's writing and tastes. He's just a little more removed from the industry mindsetand it comes off just a little more honest. Not that I think the rest of the staff's opinions are invalid, but Rorie's perspective is unique from theirs. He isn't a guy who is necessarily paid to sit there and play every game that comes out, and he's not in any position that encourages him to do so either (Drew's feelings and opinions have felt a lot more professional now that he's actively keeping up and speaking on the podcast). Hopefully he'll come around. I don't blame him though, I mean this community has absolutely felt a lot more openly hostile over the past year or so.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: Gone Home is the big indie darling of 2013, anonymous despises anything not published by a billion dollar corporation. There's plenty of fair criticism out there of Gone Home, but the loudest, angriest screaming has to do with it being "lesbian, hipster propaganda" and a 'non-game'. There's also the insane conspiracy element Rorie was talking about.

That's really interesting but I've noticed it with several games, i.e. depression quest, or reffering it by Klepek's term, "empathy games". I think gamers are just scared their favourite medium is (ab)used as a platform to relay your message. You see it a lot going on in Mass Effect, some groups claim the game is not trans, lesbian or gay-friendly enough while others blast it for pandering to political correctness.

Back when you were just a tiny, blue hedgehog. You just ran into loops and jumped onto red crabs. Now it can be as simple as suplexing sombrero wearing skeletons to as emotionally heavy as Cart Life. I my opinion, we should reflect on games as a medium. Do we want to escape everyday reality in fantastical world or use it as a medium to maybe educate or propagate (not exhaustative). These are growing pains for the medium and I think vitriol should be adressed by mentioning the message of the game in the review, to better get a mutual understanding. I mean, we just recently stopped categorizing indies and triple-a budget differently. Just don't react defensively to the vitriol, try to understand it and maybe educate them.

Or just take them to the murder slingshot.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Humanity

I think gaming press embraced Gone Home a little more enthusiastically than the game deserves as a byproduct of playing so many titles each year professionally, and finally having something be so radically different. The average, intelligent person will look at the game and depending on their taste think "that was a cool experience" or "I can see why some would like it but don't think it's that great" - while your more typical forum commentator that uses terms like "failbox 180" or "gaystation" and more or less enjoys a few typical shooters each year without leaving that comfort zone will obviously write vitriolic nonsense. Not to mention that there is a huge disconnect between a large section of gamers who are in their mid teens and have absolutely no connection to anything that Gone Home embodies, and most gaming journalists that are in their 30's and have quite literally lived through the times the game so vividly recreates.

When you look at everything that came out this year is Gone Home really that great of a story and that great of an experience? Is it really right on the heels of the Last of Us? It's highly subjective for everyone, but just maybe the praise got a little away from them. Then again who am I to tell Rorie or Vinny that "hey man it's not as cool as you think!" The double edged sword here is that much like Patrick can dislike Bioshock Infinite because the story was "bad" in his opinion, others have the right to think Gone Home wasn't that great either.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Krockett

I can understand that...I also think Gone home is pretty good...people need to start learning to respect an opinion even if they disagree with it...I didn't like the Last of us but I can understand and respect why the bomb crew thought it was their GOTY

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

@dallas_raines said:

Yeah, I saw that. Breaks my heart because I really love the man's writing and tastes. He's just a little more removed from the industry mindsetand it comes off just a little more honest. Not that I think the rest of the staff's opinions are invalid, but Rorie's perspective is unique from theirs. He isn't a guy who is necessarily paid to sit there and play every game that comes out, and he's not in any position that encourages him to do so either (Drew's feelings and opinions have felt a lot more professional now that he's actively keeping up and speaking on the podcast). Hopefully he'll come around. I don't blame him though, I mean this community has absolutely felt a lot more openly hostile over the past year or so.

"He's just a little more removed from the industry mindsetand it comes off just a little more honest."

Something I wish we saw more of!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Although I'd love to see Rorie's list, I can understand why there isn't one posted on the site. Especially given his earlier tweets.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I thought Gone Home had a fairly good story even though it wasn't a very good game. Even though I considered it overrated by the press and overpriced by the developers (at $20), it's still in my top 10 for the story alone. At least for now. I still have four more days of games to see if anything can bump it from the 10-spot it's in right now. So far, it doesn't look like Beyond: Two Souls is going to do it.

Other people might weigh the story more heavily and ignore the lackluster gameplay, they're entitled to their opinion. I'm sure plenty of people would scoff at my personal game of the year.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@humanity said:

I was hoping someone would do this.

Me as well. ahhhh some sweet rorie gifs for my gif folder.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My god Rorie's BUFFED.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mezmero

I'd be surprised if Rorie had a top 5 this year and if one of them wasn't WoW.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By musubi

Since were all jib-jabbering about Rorie....

I still contend that Rorie's best on-camera appearance was on the very first Tested Octoberkast where he arrived at like 4am coming straight from a bar where apparently stories he publicly can't tell happened all while wearing sunglasses. That whole segment was magical.

Which if you missed it....

Loading Video...

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not understand the Gone Home is not a game argument, plain and simple it is a piece of interactive storytelling that can be played and he controlled by a player it is a game. It is just a shame we don't get another top 10 on the site from one of the Giant Bomb crew if this truly is the reason why.